• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good to hear Spark.

SL paying $2.62 represents very good value - they have a more all rounded bowling attack. Aus are paying $1.50

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha that's nonsense. I'd almost be tempted to call SL favourites for this match, tbh. They've been excellent in LO cricket down here in the last few years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah same or very close to even. One of Finch or Hughes needs to make a decent score for Australia to post a competitive total IMO.

I like SL's middle to lower order, Mathews, Mendis, Perera and Kulasekera, they are all big hitters. SL really needs to target the 10 overs that will need to be bowled by Maxwell and Dussey

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah what the hell? SL stone-cold favourites for this game, personally. Will be backing Malinga to take a bag against this top-order.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm officially boycotting this "Australia B-Team" and congratulate SL on an excellent start to the series :ph34r:

Australia v Sri Lanka, 1st ODI, LIA Melbourne : George Bailey bristles over 'B-team' talk | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

EDIT: btw, I work only 800m from the MCG and yet I still won't be going without Warner, Watson, Clarke, Hussey and Wade....I did that at a T20i last year and it just didn't feel like Australia playing

Also, I've had a few wines so CA can go and get ...........

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
EDIT: btw, I work only 800m from the MCG and yet I still won't be going without Warner, Watson, Clarke, Hussey and Wade....I did that at a T20i last year and it just didn't feel like Australia playing
Sorry, I may have missed it, but what's the idea behind those first choice guys not being named in the squad? Is it resting or player development with an eye to the WC?

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Probably resting.

I think they would rest almost all of them for WI ODI Series since it ends it's like a week or 10 days before 1st test against India.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry, I may have missed it, but what's the idea behind those first choice guys not being named in the squad? Is it resting or player development with an eye to the WC?
watson and clarke are injured, warner and wade have played just about every game possible over the past year, with a lot of games coming up this year.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The sad reality is that this is closer to the Australian best team compared to what people realize.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
The ODI team hardly covered themselves in glory last year and looking at the player stats it is hard to pick a definite 11 that would be considered our definite 'best' team. In 25 games, the only players to score centuries were Clarke (1), Warner (2) and Forrest (1). No other batsman managed a score of more than 75.

Only 3 bowlers averaged under 30 with the ball - McKay (27 wickets at 23.88), Watson (17 @ 23.05) and Starc (18 @ 21.27).

Given how unsettled the ODI team is and their mediocre performances last year, I don't see an issue with including the four highest run getters in the Ryobi Cup (Finch/Hughes/Khawaja/Dussey)

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
The sad reality is that this is closer to the Australian best team compared to what people realize.
Watson is one of the best odi all rounders and Clarke is a quality player.These two players should no doubt strenthen the team.The team pick has Maxwell and Dussey as the fifth bowler. When Watson comes back he automatically adds greater strength to the attack.My best possible odi team has
1.Watson
2.Finch
3.Hughes
4.Clarke
5.Warner
6.Maxwell/Dussey
7.Wade
8.Johnson/ Hazelwood
9.Starc
10.Mckay
11. Doherty/O"Keefe

I know number 5 will be a new role for Warner but I think he"s a quality player and he"ll make that position his own.Thoughts?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yesssss someone wears the #1 shirt

EDIT: Geez that SL side looks strong. Cannot possibly see how Aus are favourites for this.

ajdude

International Coach
keen for today's rendition of the SL national anthem

also hoping that ajantha gets a call up for the sri lanka army before the match starts

Last edited: