• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

uvelocity

International Coach
he didnt just do a 12th man impersonation he hilariously sung about the first 30 seconds of marvellous word for word

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but in terms of getting a not-out overturned it was miles away. You could delude yourself into thinking it might be clipping, but crashing into off to the extent the review is successful?
In the context of the match situation it wasn't a bad review. I had a feeling it was closer than it turned out to be at first glance, so I can understand why they reviewed. With the benefit of hindsight, slow mo replays and the technology available to assess a review it was unsuccessful, so yes it looks bad.

howardj

International Coach
As magnificent as he has been since taking the helm, I must say I was disappointed with Clarke's captaincy this morning

It's so negative, ludicrous and a proven failed formula, to put everyone back for the better batsman, and just focus on the tailender

He was treating Chandinal as Bradman

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As magnificent as he has been since taking the helm, I must say I was disappointed with Clarke's captaincy this morning

It's so negative, ludicrous and a proven failed formula, to put everyone back for the better batsman, and just focus on the tailender

I've never fully understood the disliking for doing that. How would having the field up helped them get Chandimal out?

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Nah you've been brain washed by the commentators. It works far more times than it doesn't, especially when you have a very poor #11 there. You never hear about when it works because its no big deal, but the times when it doesn't work you get a prolonged discussion about it. More often than not, when it doesn't work it's because the bowlers can't bowl to the plan.

benchmark00

I've never fully understand the disliking for doing that. How would having the field up helped them get Chandimal out?
Yep exactly, the rare occasions where it doesn't work (and there have been a few instances) it seems bad because they talk about it for ages. And commentators would say that because it doesn't make for interesting viewing.

howardj

International Coach
Nah you've been brain washed by the commentators. It works far more times than it doesn't, especially when you have a very poor #11 there. You never hear about when it works because its no big deal, but the times when it doesn't work you get a prolonged discussion about it. More often than not, when it doesn't work it's because the bowlers can't bowl to the plan.
So them trying to get Chanders out would have resulted in an even bigger partnership?

howardj

International Coach
There would have been moe risk

As it was, wtih everybody on the fence, the risk of hitting the ball in the air, was non existant

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Top order batsmen very rarely get out caught in front of the wicket off seamers. Having mid wicket back instead of up doesn't seriously hinder your chances of getting the batsmen out, but it might just save a couple of boundaries.

howardj

International Coach
No offence, but you're the new Mister Wright

Automatically refute any criticism of players from your state

It's the Australian team

benchmark00

No offence, but you're the new Mister Wright

Automatically refute any criticism of players from your state

It's the Australian team
It has nothing to do with Michael Clarke. People going on calling it a bad tactic has always been a pet hate of mine. Search this forums and you'll find me posting about it countless times. I defended Yousuf when he did it against Australia (known Wagga boy Mohammad Yousuf) and I'm on record defending Ricky Ponting when he's done it (Newcastle raised Ricky Ponting).

It's just lazy cricket watching and commentating. Yeah let's have the alternative with a 70 over ball and put a ring field and see him swing his head off and get another quick 40, when we can stop that and increase our opportunity to bowl to one of the worst #11's in world cricket. Just lazy and misguided.

Last edited: