Page 169 of 397 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 5941

Thread: ***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Plenty of spinners with far worse records have been picked for Aus.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Sri Lanka in Australia 2012-13 : Thirimanne and Lakmal added to Sri Lanka Test squad | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

Thirimanne and Lakmal are the replacement for the last test. You would think neither would play as Pradeep and Paranavitana are next in line if Kulasekara and Prassana are injured.

Interesting that Perera is deemed not fit enough to play Test cricket as bowler.

You would hope we would have a better back up option then Lakmal, but he is in form with the ball. I guess the only other options were former U19 quick Ishan Jayaratne, Isuru Udana, Thilan Thushara or Tissara Perera. The later two are coming back from injuries and probably are fit enough for five day cricket. The first two are still raw. Personally I would have gone with Isuru Udana, at least he has shown some potential at International level and has been decent form. But the options are quite thin.

It is going to be a long decade of mediocrity at this rate...
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 29-12-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Sri Lanka in Australia 2012-13 : Thirimanne and Lakmal added to Sri Lanka Test squad | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

Thirimanne and Lakmal are the replacement for the last test. You would think neither would play as Pradeep and Paranavitana are next in line if Kulasekara and Prassana are injured.

Interesting that Perera is deemed not fit enough to play Test cricket as bowler.

You would hope we would have a better back up option then Lakmal, but he is in form with the ball. I guess the only other options were former U19 quick Ishan Jayaratne, Isuru Udana, Thilan Thushara or Tissara Perera. The later two are coming back from injuries and probably are fit enough for five day cricket. The first two are still raw. Personally I would have gone with Isuru Udana, at least he has shown some potential at International level and has been decent form. But the options are quite thin.

It is going to be a long decade of mediocrity at this rate...
    Just play Jeevan Mendis IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Just play Jeevan Mendis IMO.
    If the pitches in Australia spun, reckon we would have five spinners tbh. Only chance of us winning a real Test series in the next decade.

Before anyone says Sydney will turn. You have to get past the first three days to get turn in Sydney. It usually the last session of 4th day where you start to get consistent turn in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    If the pitches in Australia spun, reckon we would have five spinners tbh. Only chance of us winning a real Test series in the next decade.

Before anyone says Sydney will turn. You have to get past the first three days to get turn in Sydney. It usually the last session of 4th day where you start to get consistent turn in Sydney.
    I know he's thought of more as a batsman in Sri Lanka but I still think Jeevan Mendis would probably offer more to the attack in Australian conditions than someone like Lakmal, especially given you can use Mathews as a third seamer. Would help the otherwise depleted batting down the order too. Get him in there. Love the guy.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Most pitiful attempts at batting in Test Cricket

Sri Lanka hit 14th in the all-time list. Bangladesh now fall to 19th.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

`

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I know he's thought of more as a batsman in Sri Lanka but I still think Jeevan Mendis would probably offer more to the attack in Australian conditions than someone like Lakmal, especially given you can use Mathews as a third seamer. Would help the otherwise depleted batting down the order too. Get him in there. Love the guy.
    He was at the start of his career when he batted at 3 regularly. But since he first got dropped from the Sri Lanka A, five years ago. He has been seen more as bowling all rounder. He hasn't batted in the top 4 for a while in Sri Lanka domestic cricket.

The structure of most domestic sides in Sri Lanka is that the top 4 are the guys pushing for national selection. Then the rest are bowling all rounders, keepers and bowlers. Apart from the likes of Chamara Silva, Angelo Perera, Sachithra Serasinghe, Kandamby and Kapugedera who don't like batting in the top order.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post

2nd in the last 60 years. Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post

Interesting there's only two in the top 20 from WW2 to the turn of the new century, but since then there has been five to make the list.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

South Africa in the Cronje first innings forfeit game stands out in the list, doesn't deserve to really be there at all.

Also, I had forgotten over time just how bad Australia were in the 3rd Test of the famous 1995 tour of the Caribbean. Massive turnaround in the fourth and final match, thanks to the Waugh twins.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Khawaja just made 66* in BB....has he been released from the Test squad?

Some hard luck for the lankans with injuries. Of course the karma bitch has come back biting Sanga. He was terrorizing Sri Lankan women about osteoporosis for Anlene, and this is the second time in one year that official mascot of Anlene has suffered a fracture. Ouch! that bitch bites very painfully.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

So Maxwell is still in even though he seems to be a pre India experiment.

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Plenty of spinners with far worse records have been picked for Aus.
    "Peter.... Who?"
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    I'm guessing this will be the 11 at the SCG

1. Warner
    2. Cowan
    3. Hughes
    4. Clarke
    5. Hussey
    6. Wade
    7. Maxwell
    8. Johnson
    9. Starc
    10. Siddle
    11. Lyon

I actually don't mind it as long as Khawaja gets Hussey's spot in India. There's good batting depth with Siddle at 10, however would prefer if Bird was in there (Selectors are in a corner here as "rested" Starc must return, Johnson was MoM and Siddle's the leading bowler this year)

Thread Information