• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An absolute champion. A professionals professional. Along with Lara and Kallis has been one of my top 3 batsmen in the last 10-15 years.

Anyone think he'll turn his hand to commentary any time soon?

howardj

International Coach
An absolute champion. A professionals professional. Along with Lara and Kallis has been one of my top 3 batsmen in the last 10-15 years.

Anyone think he'll turn his hand to commentary any time soon?
Backing him in to be better than McGrath

Burgey

Clarke doing the occasion and his august position a great disservice appearing at the presser in a hoodie with a baseball cap pulled low over his eyes. Come on Clarkeh, ffs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Take a cue, Tendulkar.
Think this would be the repeat line from Indian media for the next few days.. Dont want to derail Ponting retirement thread..But I believe his retirement would indirectly put pressure on Tendulkar..

Edit: Burgey to post saying 'FFS do you want to bring Tendulkar even here?' :P

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Will miss hating him come Ashes time.

Played the greatest innings I've ever watched live, at Headingley 09 - he never actually got to three figures but was incredible, letting the match situation provide him with greater impetus. At his peak I believe he was the greatest batsman of my cricket-watching life, even if overall he probably sits in 3rd.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fantastic player; I genuinely believe he had the best eye of any batsman I've seen in my watching career except BC Lara.

Pleased he's going of his own volition too. & I really think he is, unlike (say) Hayden, Langer & SR Waugh.

Timing? In retrospect It maybe would've been nice if he'd pulled the plug after his Indian (ha) summer last year, but it'd take a will of ****ing iron to quit in that kinda form.

Coolest person I share a birthday with & I can think of no higher praise than that.

Spikey

would it be too simple to say Usman's flaw is: he can't really deal with balls that consistently pitch around off stump and are fuller than a short ball and shorter than a half volley

cause i really like that sentence

flibbertyjibber

Thanks for the memories. Great player and at least he goes before they drop him.

Guess I need a new picture now.8-)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
would it be too simple to say Usman's flaw is: he can't really deal with balls that consistently pitch around off stump and are fuller than a short ball and shorter than a half volley

cause i really like that sentence
Yeah. As I've said before, the biggest problem there is that he can be tied down the same way as he can be dismissed. It's not a "strength that can be turned into a weakness" type deal; it's just a straight up weakness that tends to align with how most good bowlers bowl anyway. If you don't execute quite right in trying to exploit Hughes's weakness he will punish you and if you bowl in the area that ties him down it won't get him out, but Khawaja's problems are all in the same spot.

He's not far off having a good technique; his flaw is just really unfortunate in its effect and importance.

Anyway, wrong thread for being a sad sack Khawaja sceptic so I'll stfu.