• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You have FAT instead in Mr Cosgrove. Not that he'll get picked though.
I'd play him. Massive drawcard is Cossie.

And in all seriousness, he's the best batsman in Australia outside of the test XI.

Shame he's fat, and apparently a tosser too.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
A lot of people in the thread saying how Ponting was their childhood hero etc....But I'm slightly different. For me, Ponting was my childhood villain. The Australian captain and best batsmen, who was happy to mouth off at times (especially when run out by people named Pratt). But that kinda makes his career even more memorable for me. For the first 3 years that I followed cricket, he was the best batsmen in the world, bar none. He was always the guy piling up the runs against England in my early days as a fan and was the guy I feared most in world cricket.

But over the last few years I've warmed to him much more, probably because he hasn't been piling on the runs against England, and in the last couple of years of his career, I've really been desperate for him to do well. He's gone from being one of my least favourite cricketers, to one of my favourites, while always being someone I rated and respected. The cricket world will feel different for me without him in it.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
A lot of people in the thread saying how Ponting was their childhood hero etc....But I'm slightly different. For me, Ponting was my childhood villain. The Australian captain and best batsmen, who was happy to mouth off at times (especially when run out by people named Pratt). But that kinda makes his career even more rememberable for me. For the first 3 years that I followed cricket, he was the best batsmen in the world, bar none. He was always the guy piling up the runs against England in my early days as a fan and was the guy I feared most in world cricket.

But over the last few years I've warmed to him much more, probably because he hasn't been piling on the runs against England, and in the last couple of years of his career, I've really been desperate for him to do well. He's gone from being one of my least favourite cricketers, to one of my favourites, while always being someone I rated and respected. The cricket world will feel different for me without him in it.
Yeah great post, agree with all of this.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of people in the thread saying how Ponting was their childhood hero etc....But I'm slightly different. For me, Ponting was my childhood villain. The Australian captain and best batsmen, who was happy to mouth off at times (especially when run out by people named Pratt). But that kinda makes his career even more rememberable for me. For the first 3 years that I followed cricket, he was the best batsmen in the world, bar none. He was always the guy piling up the runs against England in my early days as a fan and was the guy I feared most in world cricket.

Great post, exactly how I feel.

uvelocity

International Coach
@ss

"Cricket for me, when I was growing up, if I was batting, it meant I was batting until someone got me out, and if that took them a week then that's how long it took them," Ponting said. "For the guys who played in my era, that's what it was all about - not going out there and facing two overs and then being told that you had to go and stand in the field; that's not what cricket is. And that's the worry I have about a lot of the developmental phases. Even Under-17s and Under-19s now, they're playing T20 games in national championships, and at the detriment of two-day games.

"Good state players these days are averaging 35. If you were averaging 35 when I was playing, your dad would go and buy you a basketball or a footy and tell you to play that. So there's areas of concern there. I don't know how you change them. Everyone we listen to says that kids want to play T20 cricket, but the real cricket-loving kids? They don't want to play T20 cricket; it's the kids that aren't really that good or technically that good who want to play T20 cricket."
Ricky Ponting's international retirement : Daniel Brettig: Ricky Ponting, Australian cricket's soul, mate | Cricket Features | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

couldn't find the original article, it was during an interview in the 2011 sri lanka series

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ricky Ponting was never my favourite cricketer. In fact, he probably wasn't even close. I remember the day he was announced on the big screen as the next Australian captain and I was visibly upset. He was brash and unbecoming, he seemed so reckless at the crease, I just didn't like watching him play. People who remember the good old days of when I used to post in Cricket Chat more than once a year know that I don't typically like watching players without textbook technique, and that once I catch a like/dislike of a player I'll never let it go, even if they stink or become amazing players.

Ricky is the one cricketer in my lifetime that changed his perception in my eyes. It probably had to do with the way that I grew from a young teenager into an adult as he grew from a reckless twenty-something into the greatest batsman I ever watched. He became a leader and the face of the greatest Australian sporting team to ever exist, he led from the front in every game. No matter what happened with Langer and Hayden, you feared Ponting over any other. If you didn't get him before he made 15, you were dead in the water and he would make you pay.

Other people have said it better in this thread than I could ever, so I won't go on about it. I respect only Glenn McGrath more as a cricketer, and Ponting is an example of everything you should ever aspire to be as not just a cricketer but a professional in general. No one worked harder, no one gave more for the cause, no one wanted it more than him. Congratulations on a wonderful career Ricky. Your ability to face the toughest situations and stare them down can never be understated. Watching cricket without you will never be the same.

His 156 (?) at Old Trafford was one of the great knocks. Was so good that it was only when Warne got out that I stopped being worried Australia might actually take the Test.
This is my most vivid memory of a Ponting innnings. I never stopped believing we were going to win that game because he just didn't look like he would ever get out, I think every person watching that game thought that he was going to win the match on his own. Probably the best innings I ever watched every ball of.

Ruckus

International Captain
Ponting has to get 46 or more in the second innings to avoid finishing his career with an average in the 51's. Be a pity if it happens, because it really doesn't do him justice.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting has to get 46 or more in the second innings to avoid finishing his career with an average in the 51's. Be a pity if it happens, because it really doesn't do him justice.
there really isn't any difference between 51.95 and 52.00.

Ruckus

International Captain
There isn't much difference numerically between an item being sold for 1.99 or 2 dollars either, but your perception of is different. It's not an important thing at all, but from a sentimental/symbolic point of view it would be a nice thing for him to avoid.