View Poll Results: Who makes your squad?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daniel Vettori

16 61.54%
  • Jeetan Patel

19 73.08%
  • Todd Astle

6 23.08%
  • Tarun Nethula

2 7.69%
  • Bruce Martin

3 11.54%
  • Chris Martin

11 42.31%
  • Neil Wagner

13 50.00%
  • Mark Gillespie

15 57.69%
  • Adam Milne

8 30.77%
  • Ben Wheeler

4 15.38%
  • Mitchell McClenaghan

3 11.54%
  • James Franklin

4 15.38%
  • Carl Cachopa

10 38.46%
  • Colin Munro

4 15.38%
  • Sam Wells

4 15.38%
  • Jimmy Neesham

3 11.54%
  • Corey Anderson

2 7.69%
  • Andre Ellis

2 7.69%
  • Brent Arnel

2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick your NZ bowlers/all-rounders for SA

Pick your NZ bowlers/all-rounders for SA

A 'what you'd do' poll for a 15-man squad, first Test starting January 2.

Kippax has left you to make four or five selections. We'll assume Ryder is unavailable, Vettori is available.

If you want Franklin or Cachopa but ideally not bowling a ball, you give them a pick here.

Latest Milne, Martin, Gillespie, Wagner - YouTube

Latest Mitch - YouTube

Carl Cachopa vs. Northern Districts - YouTube

Carl Cachopa vs. Short Stuff - YouTube
    Last edited by Kippax; 28-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Wagner gets it just for those appeals. Around the wicket, strikes the batsman a foot outside the line...
    Exit pursuing a beer

Martin still getting the most movement of the lot.

I'd take him and Gillespie. Tough to leave out Milne, but he has plenty of time.

I'd like to try out Neesham as well.

11 playing:
    1. Guptill
    2. McCullum
    3. Williamson
    4. Taylor
    5. Flynn
    6. Brownlie
    7. van Wyk (ideally Young but the selectors are idiots)
    8. Bracewell
    9. Southee
    10. Patel
    11. Boult

reserves:
    Vettori
    Martin
    Gillespie
    Neesham

It would be very unfair to pick Vettori over Patel, but that is likely what will happen.

How is it hard to go Vettori over Patel? I know he has been bowling well, but hasn't produced many wickets on the helpful pitches in India and SL. Vettori isn't the most effective bowler anymore, but he can stil bowl 30 overs and have figures of 80/1. Plus he strengthens the batting line, which looks piss weak without him.

Guptill (No one else atm..)
    B Mac
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Brownlie (due to his liking of pace)
    Watling + (Might not be quite as good keeping as KVW, but batting x10 and form)
    Vettori
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Boult

Franko
    Patel
    Milne/Gillespie/Wagner/Martin.. All have cases to go. I think it will be Marto/Gillespie in the end.
    KVW/DDB

Ideally Cachopa would go at 6, but his short stuff isnt great, not the best idea to play him there with Steyn and Morkel. When is the side going to be announced?
    Last edited by Blain; 28-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    How is it hard to go Vettori over Patel? I know he has been bowling well, but hasn't produced many wickets on the helpful pitches in India and SL..
    He got a 4 for in India I believe. He bowled very well to Pujara. His figures might not suggest it, but he has been threatening at times.

The pitches have not really been particularly helpful. Ashwin and Ojha picked up wickets because NZ are awful players of spin. Herath has been great but has also picked up a number of wickets simply because SL's pace bowlers have failed to take any.

Patel's been bowling to some of the best players of spin, usually coming on way after a partnership has become settled and the scoring has become easy.

He's been economical, and has proven that he can break the odd partnership.

Vettori isn't the most effective bowler anymore, but he can stil bowl 30 overs and have figures of 80/1
    That's the thing. i don't want him bowling 30 overs. I want him to only come on when there is absolutely no swing or reverse swing. I want the ball to be in Southee, Boult and Bracewell's hands most of the time.

I don't want Ross to feel the pressure to give the ball to the senior player.

Plus he strengthens the batting line, which looks piss weak without him.
    His batting has been piss weak in recent times.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Main problem areas:

Who bats number six?
    Do we replace Van Wyk, and if so with who?
    If Southee, Boult, and Bracewell are the current seamers who else do we take in our 15-man squad out of Martin, Gillespie, Wagner, and Milne?
    Has Cachopa pushed his way into the squad considering Ryder's not available?
    Do we take a second keeper?

1.Martin Guptill
    2.Brendon McCullum
    3.Kane Williamson
    4.Ross Taylor (c)
    5.Daniel Flynn
    6.Dean Brownlie
    7.BJ Watling +
    8.Doug Bracewell
    9.Tim Southee
    10.Jeetan Patel
    11.Trent Boult

Reserves:
    12.Daniel Vettori
    13.Mark Gillespie/Neil Wagner (If Gillespie's in form, pick him)
    14.Adam Milne
    15.Carl Cachopa (de Boorder if we take a second keeper)

We won't be needing Astle with Patel/Vettori, Nicol's not good enough, Van Wyk had a decent run and failed, ditto for Franklin. Martin's 38 in a week or two, it's time to move on. If the conditions don't suit spinners, play Gillespie if he's test ready, otherwise play Milne.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 28-11-2012 at 06:42 PM.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    I went Jeets, Wagner, Milne, Cachopa and Wells.

My ideal starting XI for the first test in SA would be this:

McCullum
    Guptill
    Williamson
    Taylor (c)
    Flynn
    Cachopa
    Watling (+)
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Patel
    Boult

Reserves would be Milne, Wagner, Wells and Franklin.

May seem to have too many all-rounders there but Wells would be in the squad for experience mostly and I genuinely believe Franklin is the next best bat not in my team already.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    I think you guys need to be a little realistic. Even if Vettori does deserve to be dropped in favour of Patel, he won't be. Vettori is a kiwi legend with an amazing record and a mass of international experience. Patel has been ok but he hasn't done enough to kick him out, plus he's no spring chicken so doesn't even have that in his favour.

Vettori is still the man and nothing recently has decidedly changed that.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    He got a 4 for in India I believe. He bowled very well to Pujara. His figures might not suggest it, but he has been threatening at times.

The pitches have not really been particularly helpful. Ashwin and Ojha picked up wickets because NZ are awful players of spin. Herath has been great but has also picked up a number of wickets simply because SL's pace bowlers have failed to take any.

Patel's been bowling to some of the best players of spin, usually coming on way after a partnership has become settled and the scoring has become easy.

He's been economical, and has proven that he can break the odd partnership.

That's the thing. i don't want him bowling 30 overs. I want him to only come on when there is absolutely no swing or reverse swing. I want the ball to be in Southee, Boult and Bracewell's hands most of the time.

I don't want Ross to feel the pressure to give the ball to the senior player.

His batting has been piss weak in recent times.
    I see all of your points, but I believe Vettori offers more on and off the park.

In regards to the pitches not being helpful, that's untrue. If you can get as much spin off a pitch like the spinners having been getting, that is going to encourage the slower bowlers and help produce wickets.

I can't see the point about Ross thinking he needs to give the ball to Vettori. This isn't first 11 cricket, you would hope that sort of stuff doesnt go on.

And you cant disregard Vettori's test batting record because of a couple average tests. Hopefully he can play some Plunket Shield and get some form going, he has had a long time out of the game and will need to prove fitness and ability.

Our personal thoughts aside, let's be honest, if he is fit he will be in the side.

Our personal thoughts aside, let's be honest, if he is fit he will be in the side.
    This is certainly true.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I'm going to wait until January before finalising my wanted team. We still have a few FC games to get a look at Vettori's form, see if Cachopa continues his run, if Milne backs up the other day and if Gillespie finds murder mode. Jeets, Astle and Vettori face off will be good as well.

Who knows, maybe Rutherford will smash a ton against Southee, Boult, Arnel, Aldridge. Failing against Milne, Mathieson, Trego, Lamb, KNB and Cachopa is a black mark against his name though.

For now, the below are my absolute locks

3. Williamson
    4. Taylor
    5. Flynn
    9. Bracewell
    10. Southee
    11. Boult

I have no idea who the best gloveman is, but they should get the gloves. If it is Watling, cool, he bats 7. If it's Derek, he gets them and Watling can scrap for number six with Brownlie. If Ryder wants to make a return he bats five with Flynn at six. I'm not sure who I think the best spinner is yet but I'm leaning towards Jeets, but if the pitches suit we should boost it with four quicks and be macho. Realistically McCullum and Guppers are locks but you never know. They had a couple of failures and if someone absolutely smashes CD or ND they will at least be considered I feel (before the selectors go with Baz and Guppers obv). The selectors might also decide Watling should open again or continue to back Nicol.

If I were to make a team for the first test in South Africa then conservatively I would go with:

McCullum
    Guptill
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Brownlie/Vettori
    Watling (wk)
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Patel
    Boult

Gillespie
    Wagner
    Cachopa
    Brownlie/Vettori

But I really don't think we know enough at this stage to make concrete decisions.

The two most important tasks on our hands after the current test is won or drawn are to decide who the best pure keeper is and sort out who we want opening and then work with them 24/7 from now until the start of the test (rest them from ODIs if they are ODI players) so we can prevent this 10/2 rubbish that happens every single test. It is the single most important factor in why we can't post big totals and ultimately lose test matches. Williamson and Taylor are not openers and they can't score hundreds every game, especially under the enormous pressure the openers put them under every single innings. If Williamson and Taylor get out early, which will and does happen, 5 and 6 are under even more pressure. It starts at the top and I don't care if we send in a couple of tailend nuffies with awesome blocks if that is what it takes to be at least 100/2 when Taylor and Williamson come to the wicket. Even 50/2 would be a welcome change, that's how bad it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    For now, the below are my absolute locks

3. Williamson
    4. Taylor
    5. Flynn
    9. Bracewell
    10. Southee
    11. Boult
    Kind of harsh on McCullum there not to have on on the first choice XI aren't you? NZ players having a few bad series is nothing new. Guptil I understand but McCullum has been one of the team's more consistent performers career wise.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Love that Martin's got the most votes for inclusion, even though I don't think anyone here would actually include him in the starting xi.

EDIT: Jeets jumping ahead now.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 28-11-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Kind of harsh on McCullum there not to have on on the first choice XI aren't you? NZ players having a few bad series is nothing new. Guptil I understand but McCullum has been one of the team's more consistent performers career wise.
    I'm still furious at him for his shot to get out in the first test so I'm passive aggressively hinting at dropping him.

When was his last test ton anyway.

Surprised not many others want to give Neesham a shot.

We need a good allrounder.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information