• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your NZ bowlers/all-rounders for SA

Who makes your squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blain

U19 Captain
Well Astle is playing for Canterbury today.. And actually on the team lists (down the bottom of the live scorecard pages), Martin and Wagner are behind the 12th man, like Astle is. Maybe they cant take part in the innings which is underway?

BTW bugger about rutherford, run out on 70. McCone got 4 wickets to take out ND, Anderson the only one to show fight today with 40.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
southee
boult
bracewell
gillespie
wagner or martin
vettori
patel
seamers in that order, play watling 6 as keeper then vettori plus 4 seamers = best chance of win.

Howsie

International Captain
Colin Munro :huh:

How good exactly could this guy be if he's batting at six behind Young, de Grandhomme and Hopkins? He's average, he might make it as a limited overs player but no way does he have the game for test cricket. He'd be lucky to make it to double figures against either South Africa or England.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm trying to keep an open mind on him after I predicted he would be out of FC cricket by now.

Right now he is 28* I am following him closely.

I do like his bowling action FWIW.

vandem

International 12th Man
I think that both Wagner and Martin not playing this round in the shield is pretty telling. They will tour and fair enough.

Unless flights/logistics meant it wasn't possible.
Wagner is playing from today, and already announced that Martin will play the final 2 days.

Blain

U19 Captain
Colin Munro :huh:

How good exactly could this guy be if he's batting at six behind Young, de Grandhomme and Hopkins? He's average, he might make it as a limited overs player but no way does he have the game for test cricket. He'd be lucky to make it to double figures against either South Africa or England.
This is the NZ way of thinking we have been brought up with, if you bat up the order you play as a 6/7 in tests, and if you bat down the order in domestic cricket, you obviously aren't good enough to bat higher.

I for one would like to see a player in their natural batting position playing for NZ, and not batting where they aren't familar which happens to 99% of our batsmen. The number 6 spot is open, and he is easily the form number 6 in domestic cricket, and can bowl some decent medium pace to boot. Would do alot better than Franko has done I'm sure. I would like him to play a couple one dayers before tests so we can really have a look at him in saying that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't pick him, but I think the selectors will.
Hogan is a spotter for Test cricket - there's no chance he'll ring Hesson and say 'wow, this Munro guy is made for the whites'.

He'll play ODIs/Twenty20s, his game isn't tailored to the longer forms. He's scoring big Plunket Shield runs on the Eden Park runway through having a brilliant eye, being a powerful guy and throwing his hands through it.

And him batting at 6 below anyone has little to do with it. He's simply best suited to six. He plays spin very aggressively and competently and is capable of wrestling advantage away from a bowling side when the ball is older.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Guptill
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Flynn
Brownlie
Watling
Vettori
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

Reserves
Wagner
Patel
Martin
Munro/Rutherford/Cachopa

I would probably lean towards Rutherford as Guptill is down on form

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bowlers and all-rounders to be picked for South Africa:

McCullum's mate #1
Hesson's mate
Guy who minds his own business and doesn't say much
McCullum's mate #2
Taylor's supporter who can't be dropped yet (soon to be frozen out and replaced by McCullum's mate #3)
Random new guy

Too cynical?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, if NcCullum gets picked everyone will know. Nobody would be so blind as to accept the selection of Nathan ****ing McCullum for Tests.

Blain

U19 Captain
I don't see why we need to take 2 spinners on the trip. SA will not make their pitches suit spin, they will probably want to play 4 seamers anyway. I would go

Guptill
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Flynn
Brownlie/Munro
Watling
Bracewell
Patel
Southee
Boult

Gillespie
Martin
Brownlie/Munro
I want another batter here, but Cachopa and Munro in the squad is too much rookie. I guess Franko

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Port Elizabeth definitely wouldn't suit four seamers was the word. Even if CSA did have the ear of every ground, I'd say the request would be 'featherbeds please, we'll extend these out to four days if we can'.

I guess we may see Carl Cachopa batting at PE now in light of the Ross news, if not...
Mathew Sinclair 150 vs South Africa - YouTube

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Radio Live reporting Neesham, Anderson, de Boorder and Munro are in for the T20s. Astle to be dropped from Test squad, Bruce Martin in.

BeeGee

International Captain
Radio Live reporting Neesham, Anderson, de Boorder and Munro are in for the T20s. Astle to be dropped from Test squad, Bruce Martin in.
Bruce Martin in the Test squad to face SA? :laugh:

It's official, someone at NZC is deliberately trying to **** the NZ cricket team.