• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comparing Batting and Bowling performances

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This may have been debated to death, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

In recent light of Andy Bichel's poor bowling in the first test v India and subsequent critisism I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's views on how it would compare to a batsman's performance.

I've often thought that batsman get the tough end of the stick, they only get one chance in their innings and sometimes they can do nothing wrong and still be given out (run-out by partner, poor umpiring decision) whereas bowlers can keep bowling and bowling without being taken off for the rest of the innings (unless they bowl beemers).

I mean a bowler can get hit for six sixes in an over and still keep bowling. Whereas a batsman gets an edge and that's it - INNINGS OVER!

It really urkes me when the Aussie bowlers show the ball to the crowd after taking a fivefa, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the bowlers, but I don't rate a fivefa equal with a century.

So keeping that in mind - Bichel's 1-130 in the first test could that be equated to a duck, and if so, if Bichel was a batsman and scored a duck would he be dropped?

Andre

International Regular
But you see that is the very issue. A bowler has numerous chances to change the way of a game (generally speaking) - so it becomes near impossible to compare the role of a batsman to a bowler.

While a batsman may just make a first ball duck, it is hard to gauge how they performed - think Tendulkar.

However, you look at Bichel and you saw what was really his first geniune shocker at the top level since his debut in 1997. Whatsmore, every time a batsman scores a duck, are they dumped?

Will Tugga be dropped for this match because he made a duck in Brisbane? No. But the theory is the same as dumping a bowler because he performed poorly.

Bichel's first poor performance in Aussie colours for 6 years is not worthy of his sacking - look at the amount of times guys like Hayden have performed poorly.

Are they dumped after 1 poor performance? No - and rightly so.

That said, I do think Bracken has a lot to learn as of yet and Australia would benefit from playing Williams ahead of him.

If Bichel was a batsman he would be retained - look at Katich. A poor match and is he dumped? No.

Thats the beauty of Australian cricket - guys get their chances.

And regarding the five-fer issue - cricket is a batsman's game. Pitches are generally flat, bowlers around the world lower in quality than in the past and very little to really trouble them on an average day.

So is a five-fer more valuable than a century? Hard to say. But when you look at a guy like Saqlain Mushtaq having a Test hundred (with all due respect, he's a quality cricketer), it makes you wonder just exactly what five wickets is worth.

How often do bowlers encouinter pitches that represent the pacific highway? Once every few games, at least.

Curators don't create pitches so bowlers can do the wortk and a match is over in 2 days. They have to work hard for everything that they get.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andre said:
But you see that is the very issue. A bowler has numerous chances to change the way of a game (generally speaking) - so it becomes near impossible to compare the role of a batsman to a bowler.

While a batsman may just make a first ball duck, it is hard to gauge how they performed - think Tendulkar.

However, you look at Bichel and you saw what was really his first geniune shocker at the top level since his debut in 1997. Whatsmore, every time a batsman scores a duck, are they dumped?

Will Tugga be dropped for this match because he made a duck in Brisbane? No. But the theory is the same as dumping a bowler because he performed poorly.

Bichel's first poor performance in Aussie colours for 6 years is not worthy of his sacking - look at the amount of times guys like Hayden have performed poorly.

Are they dumped after 1 poor performance? No - and rightly so.

That said, I do think Bracken has a lot to learn as of yet and Australia would benefit from playing Williams ahead of him.

If Bichel was a batsman he would be retained - look at Katich. A poor match and is he dumped? No.

Thats the beauty of Australian cricket - guys get their chances.

And regarding the five-fer issue - cricket is a batsman's game. Pitches are generally flat, bowlers around the world lower in quality than in the past and very little to really trouble them on an average day.

So is a five-fer more valuable than a century? Hard to say. But when you look at a guy like Saqlain Mushtaq having a Test hundred (with all due respect, he's a quality cricketer), it makes you wonder just exactly what five wickets is worth.

How often do bowlers encouinter pitches that represent the pacific highway? Once every few games, at least.

Curators don't create pitches so bowlers can do the wortk and a match is over in 2 days. They have to work hard for everything that they get.
I agree I don't think he should be dropped after one poor performance. And the reason many are giving is that he has been in poor form, and yes he may...but look at someone like Taylor who was out of form for almost a year. And ponting who struggled to get into double figures for 6 tests in a row and he was still retained.

I agree what you say about Saqlain Mushtaq getting a century, the same could be said for Katich's 6-65...

I would like to be India if Australia play both Bracken and Williams and they win the toss and bat. The curator has said the pitch will give the batsman plenty of help on the first two days. This will put extra pressure on Gillespie and MacGill to take wickets.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Bichel took 10 wickets for Qld in his last match there a couple of weeks ago. It would be unfair to drop him after one poor match. Steve Waugh thinks a lot of Bichel. The one to go might just be Bracken.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
So keeping that in mind - Bichel's 1-130 in the first test could that be equated to a duck, and if so, if Bichel was a batsman and scored a duck would he be dropped?
But the fact remains that he's not a batsman. He's a bowler who, from all accounts, bowled extremely poorly against the second best batting lineup in the world in a series where Australia are heavy favourites to win with a drawn first Test and now a flat second Test pitch. Not hard to say that the selectors are under a little pressure to get someone in there who will bring immediate results.

It's like in ICC, you want to give a guy a second game (despite a poor debut) but you find yourself worrying that mid-Test you'll be scolding yourself - 'why didn't I pick Whatsis Name instead?'

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It is impossible to compare them for a match.

For carears, I consider a batsman who averages 40 to be about the same as a bowler who averages 30