• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

King Of Spain New England ODI and T20 Coach

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Mountford ✔ @tmsproducer

Ashley Giles to take over as England's ODI and T20 head coach. But Andy Flower to remain as England team director #bbccricket

Giles appointed as England ODI and T20 Head Coach - Media Releases - About ECB - ECB - ECB

ECB today announced the appointment of former England international and Warwickshire Director of Cricket Ashley Giles as England ODI and T20 Head Coach.

Andy Flower will remain as England Team Director and will continue to be responsible for the preparation and playing strategies for the England men's cricket teams supported by Ashley Giles. The change in structure will provide a more efficient and sustainable use of coaching resources, ensuring that both coaches have an opportunity to prepare thoroughly for each series as well as interacting more regularly with other important areas of England cricket.
Giles appointed as England ODI and T20 Head Coach - Media Releases - About ECB - ECB - ECB

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I shall reserve judgement until I find out if Dirtbag is still in the team.

Actually some interesting decisions to be made with the top order, Bell and KP have been useless in the middle order in the format, but both did well as opener.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
You'd think so and I'd reckon his relationship with Giles is probably better than his one with you Flower.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't really think it'll make that much difference, except it being very good news for Chris Woakes. Gilo's a big fan.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He'll pick both and leave out Bopara IMO.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The thing Bopara has in his favour is his bowling, which has actually been mightily effective in ODI's recently. England have a problem in that the two people who KP would likely replace where, along with Finn, England's best performers in ODI's this summer. And I don't think KP has done enough to kick out Trott or Morgan.

flibbertyjibber

So Giles making his next step to being long term replacement for Flower. Guess this is a decent compromise as Flower has bumped his gums for ages about the schedules being too much for one man, at least we don't lose him totally. If we are to go this route then Giles has done a decent enough job I suppose, could argue that Somerset and Hampshire have excelled more in shorter games so their coaches might be better suited to the job but we will wait and see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The thing Bopara has in his favour is his bowling, which has actually been mightily effective in ODI's recently
Yeah but even so he's only been the sixth bowler. Could always leave Patel/Bresnan out and actually use Bopara as an allrounder if you were that keen on his bowling, then you'd end up with

1 Cook
2 Pietersen/Bell
3 Trott
4 Bell/Pietersen
5 Morgan
6 Bopara
7 Kieswetter/some other keeper
8 Broad
9 Swann
10 Anderson
11 Finn

I'd rather play Woakes than Bopara personally but I too have always felt Bopara's bowling a little under-utilised so I wouldn't be opposed to that lineup.

flibbertyjibber

Bopara dropped from both squads and KP in ODI squad but rested for T20's. Swann rested as well, about time they managed his elbow better.

Dernbach retained.:@

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

It will be worth putting up with the total waste of space Dernbach for a few games if it FINALLY MEANS NO MORE USELESS SADSACK ****HOUSE BOPARA.

Pothas

Meaker in the twenty20 squad, really? Is the only format I have seen him live in and he really is not very good.

Perfecty happy with the Giles appointment though, done an excellent job with Warwickshire by all accounts and hopefully it will keep Flower around for a bit longer.