• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's spin resurrection

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
So out of nowhere really, cricket's spin stocks have suddenly become high again.

Ajmal, Rehman, Swann, Herath, Mendis, Panesar, Ojha, Ashwin, Lyon, Narine, Jeets, Gazi, Dockrell. So many spinners who are at least serviceable to very good and are the focal point of their attacks. Why has this happened and whose your favourite tweaker? Obviously George is my preference, but interested to see other people's pecking order

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The conditions play a big part. If Tests were currently being played in England, NZ and SA we wouldn't be having this discussion as much, but currently its a bit of a no brainer to select a few spinners in most XI's.

Ajmal is the best spinner and Herath is probably my favourite - A few weeks back I was amazed that a fair few people on here were picking Sri Lanka All Time XI teams and were not including Herath.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The conditions play a big part. If Tests were currently being played in England, NZ and SA we wouldn't be having this discussion as much, but currently its a bit of a no brainer to select a few spinners in most XI's.

Ajmal is the best spinner and Herath is probably my favourite - A few weeks back I was amazed that a fair few people on here were picking Sri Lanka All Time XI teams and were not including Herath.
Dead on, he's in that side right behind Murali and Vaas. Murali and Herath bowling in tandem would be the ultimate pressure bowl

Andre

International Regular
I disagree with this, to be honest.

There is a dearth of quality quicks going around, so in a lot of countries the best bowlers are the spinners. There are a lot of good ones going around but none great.

We are a long way off the Warne, Murali, Kumble et al era.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gonna lay it out here, always found Kumble to be very overrated (two overrated posts in the space of 5 or so mins).

Respect him for his warrior like efforts, but was more likely to take 5/160 than rip through a team. Just used to grind for ages (which is a skill in itself I suppose) opposed to actually turning a match on a regular basis.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think what Benchy is saying is generally fair for Kumble overseas, but I reckon he was good at running through teams in India for a lot of his career.

He's no Murali though.

Flem274*

123/5
I disagree with this, to be honest.

There is a dearth of quality quicks going around, so in a lot of countries the best bowlers are the spinners. There are a lot of good ones going around but none great.

We are a long way off the Warne, Murali, Kumble et al era.
I reckon seam stocks are pretty decent tbh. Even India have two blokes who are quality, and that has to be a first for them. They've usually had a lone ranger and awesome spinners.

They all seem a bit injury prone though.

Last edited:

Daemon

Yeah, even NZ have quality imo and Pakistan would have it too, if not for the suspensions.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kumble is up there with some of the best spinners in the world and if he was playing now he would be the best in the world no question. Got overshadowed by Murali and Warne who just happened to be freaks.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Bhajji for first 200 wickets was as good as any spinner ever barring Murali and Warne though he has been mediocre to dire 2006 onwards.

flibbertyjibber

Think the spinners are helped also by the fact that so many sides are struggling to bat against half decent spin of late. The art of batting well against spin is probably at as low a level across the world as I can remember (not helped by 2 geniuses retiring in Laxman and Dravid)

Are many of the spinners listed any better than Vettori and Harbhajan WERE when they were good? I'd say no, I think the current lot are helped by poor batting a lot.

Jager

International Debutant
Think the spinners are helped also by the fact that so many sides are struggling to bat against half decent spin of late. The art of batting well against spin is probably at as low a level across the world as I can remember (not helped by 2 geniuses retiring in Laxman and Dravid)

Are many of the spinners listed any better than Vettori and Harbhajan WERE when they were good? I'd say no, I think the current lot are helped by poor batting a lot.
Yeah I came in to say this. I'm no expert but I gather that this consistent flopping against spin is because of the 'planting' style of footwork these days?

watson

Banned
Kumble is up there with some of the best spinners in the world and if he was playing now he would be the best in the world no question. Got overshadowed by Murali and Warne who just happened to be freaks.
Kumble was a medium pacer pretending to be a spin bowler, and therefore quite possibly the most boring spinner in the history of cricket. In fact I'm drifting off to sleep just thinking about him.......... :sleep1:

Question: Has anyone ever seen footage of Kumble (anywhere at anytime) turn the ball more than a couple of microns?