• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's spin resurrection

cnerd123

likes this
ATG status? Come on...

Best spinner in the world aws, but he:

a) Doesn't have a whole heap of competition, and;
b) is up against a number of spinphobic batting line ups.
Who would you put up as ATG spinners, after Warne/Murali/Kumble?

Bedi? Prassana, Chandrasekhar, Venkat? Qadir? Mushtaq? MacGill? Vettori? Or one of the old-timers like Laker, Gibbs, Grimmet, Verity?

The Indian fab 4 all bowled to spinphobic lineups (batsmen not used to spin as high quality as their's). And it's hard to compare the old gen to the new gen, so if you look within the last 30 years or so, apart from the three mentioned, who else gets a shout for ATG status?

Ajmal surely is up for contention. Another couple of good years and he could be considered.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He isn't yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's around for a very long time, even though he's no spring chicken; and ends up playing enough games that, if he maintains his performance, lets him be thrown up with the Kumble's of the world.
That sentence was difficult to read.

cnerd123

likes this
Harbhajan seemed to revel in being the junior partner as soon as the spotlight came on him to be the leader of the spin attack then he appeared to freeze.
Yea, he just got flatter and flatter. Seemed scared to be hit for runs, and lost his wicket taking bite in the process.

Was still a good ODI bowler, and still is pretty good for the shorter stuff, but has become a pretty awful Test bowler.

benchmark00

Who would you put up as ATG spinners, after Warne/Murali/Kumble?

Bedi? Prassana, Chandrasekhar, Venkat? Qadir? Mushtaq? MacGill? Vettori? Or one of the old-timers like Laker, Gibbs, Grimmet, Verity?

The Indian fab 4 all bowled to spinphobic lineups (batsmen not used to spin as high quality as their's). And it's hard to compare the old gen to the new gen, so if you look within the last 30 years or so, apart from the three mentioned, who else gets a shout for ATG status?

Ajmal surely is up for contention. Another couple of good years and he could be considered.
I wouldn't have Kumble as an ATG. I would be happy to say he's near Kumble level.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Bhaji's awful for the shorter stuff personally because of the pace he bowls at. Since the start of 2010 he averages nigh-on 37 in ODI's.

benchmark00

I would bet good money they would disagree with me, hence why I consider him to be overrated.

The sheer number of wickets is impressive, there's no denying that. Alot of toil went into those wickets though.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Surely if he was brute-forcing his way into getting wickets, his average wouldn't be as impressive? And he wouldn't have 35 five-wicket hauls?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A few months back an ATG forum member made an ATG World XI discussion thread where we all got to select players to form teams. Anil Kumble ended up making the World H XI, so the 9th best XI in Test history.

Make of that as you will.

benchmark00

Surely if he was brute-forcing his way into getting wickets, his average wouldn't be as impressive? And he wouldn't have 35 five-wicket hauls?
An average of just under 30 doesn't float my boat.

His strike rate is a more telling stat. A rung or so below ATG standard.

MacGill obviously the superior out of the two.

benchmark00

A few months back an ATG forum member made an ATG World XI discussion thread where we all got to select players to form teams. Anil Kumble ended up making the World H XI, so the 9th best XI in Test history.

I can't remember making such a thread. Link me to teams.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
An average of just under 30 doesn't float my boat.

His strike rate is a more telling stat. A rung or so below ATG standard.

MacGill obviously the superior out of the two.
At the end of 2007 he averaged about 28 or so, Kumble just had a really bad 2008 with captaincy issues, injuries etc and so his bowling too a beating and his average got bumped up to 29.

It's a bit like rating the likes of Ponting and Dravid lower because their average fell from 55-56 to 52.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure I would catergorise Kumble as ATG either. Not good enough away from home and overall average of 29 not exactly stellar.

Satyanash89

Banned
Not sure I would catergorise Kumble as ATG either. Not good enough away from home and overall average of 29 not exactly stellar.
Yeah, stats-wise he was nothing special like Murali, and wasnt exaclty exciting to watch like Warne, and overall, he did precious little overseas.

At home though, an absolutely monstrous and consistent match-winner for india and I rate him really high because of that heroic series in Australia in 2003-04. Wonderful series against one of the best batting line-ups of all time in a country where almost every visiting spinner has been slaughtered has to count as one of the all-time great series performances imo.
He's obviously a step below ATG status, but undeinably a fabulous bowler in his own right

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

:laugh:

Very modest