• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's spin resurrection

Flem274*

123/5
Kumble was a medium pacer pretending to be a spin bowler, and therefore quite possibly the most boring spinner in the history of cricket. In fact I'm drifting off to sleep just thinking about him.......... :sleep1:

Question: Has anyone ever seen footage of Kumble (anywhere at anytime) turn the ball more than a couple of microns?
vettori

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why do wwe think none of the 13 mentioned in the OP are leggies?
Because its so much harder to bowl as accurately.

Tahir, Astle and Cremer are current Test leggies, obviously with not much success so far. I actually rate Graeme Cremer, doesn't get many opportunites though.

Just looking at the opening post, Shakib deserves a mention too.

Andre

International Regular
Kumble was a medium pacer pretending to be a spin bowler, and therefore quite possibly the most boring spinner in the history of cricket. In fact I'm drifting off to sleep just thinking about him.......... :sleep1:

Question: Has anyone ever seen footage of Kumble (anywhere at anytime) turn the ball more than a couple of microns?
Ha. And herein lies your complete and utter misunderstanding of spin bowling.

Turn doesn't get good players out. It helps, sure. But you get good players out through movement in the air and variations in pace and side/over spin. Kumble became a complete bowler later in his career as he mastered flight, dip and drift, highlighted by his tour of Australia in 2003/04.

The real skill is defeating the really good players through the air and with changes of pace. Look at or ask any of the great spin bowlers of history and they will all agree that it take more than turn to get a batsman out.

watson

Banned
Ha. And herein lies your complete and utter misunderstanding of spin bowling.

Turn doesn't get good players out. It helps, sure. But you get good players out through movement in the air and variations in pace and side/over spin. Kumble became a complete bowler later in his career as he mastered flight, dip and drift, highlighted by his tour of Australia in 2003/04.

The real skill is defeating the really good players through the air and with changes of pace. Look at or ask any of the great spin bowlers of history and they will all agree that it take more than turn to get a batsman out.
OK then;

Question: Has anyone ever heard any cricket commentator, in any country, at any time during any match, exclaim - "Yes, got 'im. He's out. Kumble's completely done 'im in the flight!"

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The spin resurrection has everything to do with umps giving more LBW's this actually started before UDRS, when the technology was only being shown, but not implemented. It's obviously even more in vogue now.

The fact is so many of the lesser players of spin, hardly used to play with the bat for ages, hence the dearth of conventional spinners taking wickets for years. Now there's not only LBW's to consider, but by playing at the ball more you bring in other forms of dismissal.

Feel very sorry for spinners in between uncovered pitches, and the current (right) LBW interpretation.

Really think there could have been a lot of spinners who will forever called average, who could have performed at a Swann, Herath level nowadays.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
OK then;

Question: Has anyone ever heard any cricket commentator, in any country, at any time during any match, exclaim - "Yes, got 'im. He's out. Kumble's completely done 'im in the flight!"
Yes. Kumble did them in flight. Conventional spinners, the ball pitches short of what you anticipate, and with Kumble it pitches fuller than what is anticipated. The "rocket ball" early in his career was the prime example.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumble's greatest asset was the extra bounce he got as a result of the extra over spin he imparted on the ball.

benchmark00

Either way I found him to be a decent bowler, but nothing more.

As an opposition supporter, I feared Harbhy more because I was worried he would take wickets in clusters, and that's what changes the match.

cnerd123

likes this
when exactly did spin die?
There is a dearth of quality quicks going around, so in a lot of countries the best bowlers are the spinners. There are a lot of good ones going around but none great.
The conditions play a big part. If Tests were currently being played in England, NZ and SA we wouldn't be having this discussion as much, but currently its a bit of a no brainer to select a few spinners in most XI's.
AWTA

Ajmal is near ATG status. Swann is really good. Herath is SL's best ever after Murali.

Rest are decent.

cnerd123

likes this
Either way I found him to be a decent bowler, but nothing more.

As an opposition supporter, I feared Harbhy more because I was worried he would take wickets in clusters, and that's what changes the match.
Early Harbhajan was gun. Was the perfect foil for Kumble though. Kumble built up the pressure, and Bhaji could capitalise on it. But he became **** a while after that.

Kumble got better with age. Harbhajan just got worse.

benchmark00

AWTA

Ajmal is near ATG status. Swann is really good. Herath is SL's best ever after Murali.

Rest are decent.
ATG status? Come on...

Best spinner in the world aws, but he:

a) Doesn't have a whole heap of competition, and;
b) is up against a number of spinphobic batting line ups.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He isn't yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's around for a very long time, even though he's no spring chicken; and ends up playing enough games that, if he maintains his performance, lets him be thrown up with the Kumble's of the world.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. Kumble did them in flight. Conventional spinners, the ball pitches short of what you anticipate, and with Kumble it pitches fuller than what is anticipated. The "rocket ball" early in his career was the prime example.
Had an underrated wrong-un did Kumble. Was alot slower and wider usually and got him a few wickets because he knew he couldn't turn it big.

flibbertyjibber

Early Harbhajan was gun. Was the perfect foil for Kumble though. Kumble built up the pressure, and Bhaji could capitalise on it. But he became **** a while after that.

Kumble got better with age. Harbhajan just got worse.
Harbhajan seemed to revel in being the junior partner as soon as the spotlight came on him to be the leader of the spin attack then he appeared to freeze.

Also Kumble is vastly underrated, just because he wasn't as good as Warne and Murali doesn't mean he wasn't a great bowler in his own right. So what if he didn't turn it much, was bloody brilliant at what he did.

Last edited: