• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson as a bowling all rounder?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This season in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney Bird has 14 wickets @ 29.71 - nah that's wrong...

Edit - 13 wickets @ 22.92. I counted an OD match by mistake the first time.

Even though I disagree with it, I think his OD form isn't helping him gain Test selection..

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Lyon is absolutely a lock to play. Especially seeing as though Watson should be passed fit to play.

As is Starc, I'm just worried about the Horse/Siddle situation.
Yeah I think if Watson is fit to bowl, then Lyon will play. If he's not then maybe they'll go the four quicks.

Others have been watching more than me, but heard that Hazelwood has been bowling almost "too well" in the Shield, can't get any wickets together but bowling the house down.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This season in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney Bird has 14 wickets @ 29.71 - nah that's wrong...

Edit - 13 wickets @ 22.92. I counted an OD match by mistake the first time.

Even though I disagree with it, I think his OD form isn't helping him gain Test selection..
I hate myself for saying this given how much of a "different forms should be treated separately" guy I've been since pretty much the day I signed up to this place, but I think there's a lot of merit in giving blokes who are doing well in both forms priority at the moment because of the state of the pitches.

The Ryobi Cup pitches this season are some of the flattest I've ever seen in this country and the Shield pitches all across the country have been very lively for about three seasons now. Most of the pitches these blokes get in international cricket are going to lie somewhere in between. Yes, there are some very different skill sets involved, and Bird even as a youth cricketer was known as someone who didn't bowl as well in limited overs type situations where he needed to vary his length. However, if he can't even get a game consistently for Tassie in one day cricket because he's not worked out how to bowl on decks that don't move much yet, how's he going to go against South Africa in a Test on a presumably pretty true Perth wicket? I'm not saying he should be completely out of the frame, but the guys doing well on different types of wickets too, even if in different types of cricket, should be getting more credit for their work.

I think the same (or the reverse?) applies to someone like Aaron Finch, who is smashing Ryobi Cup attacks around on true surfaces but can't get a game for Victoria in the Shield when the ball moves off the straight. Unless he was going to be selected in a real pinch hitting role (which Warner currently occupies), I don't think he should be in the frame for ODIs ahead of someone like Hughes or Quiney.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hate myself for saying this given how much of a "different forms should be treated separately" guy I've been since pretty much the day I signed up to this place, but I think there's a lot of merit in giving blokes who are doing well in both forms priority at the moment because of the state of the pitches.

The Ryobi Cup pitches this season are some of the flattest I've ever seen in this country and the Shield pitches all across the country have been very lively for about three seasons now. Most of the pitches these blokes get in international cricket are going to lie somewhere in between. Yes, there are some very different skill sets involved, and Bird even as a youth cricketer was known as someone who didn't bowl as well in limited overs type situations where he needed to vary his length. However, if he can't even get a game consistently for Tassie in one day cricket because he's not worked out how to bowl on decks that don't move much yet, how's he going to go against South Africa in a Test on a presumably pretty true Perth wicket? I'm not saying he should be completely out of the frame, but the guys doing well on different types of wickets too, even if in different types of cricket, should be getting more credit for their work.

I think the same (or the reverse?) applies to someone like Aaron Finch, who is smashing Ryobi Cups around on true surfaces but can't get a game for Victoria in the Shield when the ball moves off the straight. Unless he was going to be selected in a real pinch hitting role (which Warner currently occupies), I don't think he should be in the frame for ODIs ahead of someone like Hughes or Quiney.

Yep definitely. Its why Butterworth and Cutting (along with Bird) and previously Copeland are more popular with fans compared to the selectors.

Siddle the exemption to the rule though. :) But seriously, he COULD play for Vic if required.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Hope he gets picked and gets an extended run just so we get to play against him no Headingley this time suckers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think if Watson is fit to bowl, then Lyon will play. If he's not then maybe they'll go the four quicks.

Others have been watching more than me, but heard that Hazelwood has been bowling almost "too well" in the Shield, can't get any wickets together but bowling the house down.
Have watched a little bit of Shield play this season and he really is looking like a monster run is inevitable. Was good last year when he got on the park, just looks the part at the moment. Getting big seam movement away from the bat from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I hate the term "X-factor", but at the moment we need something. Johnson has shown he can provide that.

Either that or it all goes horribly ****ty and wrong.

- Cowan
- Warner
- Watson
- Ponting
- Clarke
- Wade
- Hastings
- Johnson
- Siddle
- Hazelwood
- Lyon

Reports saying Siddle could be a bit tired from the bowling he had to do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
- Cowan
- Warner
- Watson
- M. Hussey
- Clarke
- Wade
- Hastings
- Johnson
- Siddle
- Hazelwood
- Lyon

This is what I meant. No Ponting. But I'll taste it in Perth, because I guarantee he'll make big runs there.

So by dropping him here, I am helping the team.