• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson as a bowling all rounder?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very strange choices in Johnson and Hazelwood

Former has done nothing to justify a recall and I know Hazelwood has talent but he is injury prone, not standing out in domestic cricket and looks a looooooooooooooooooong way from being the finished article

Would struggle to make list of top 10 Aussie pacemen IMO so his really is a wtf selection

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah with so many injuries we've reached the stage of having a choice between successful domestic cricketers who don't look the part, unproven domestic cricketers who do look the part, a bowler blacklisted for showing up unfit to a match or a bowler who made public comments about the Barmy Army hurting his feelings and putting him off his game.

I would've definitely included Bollinger myself but the selectors have made it pretty clear he's not going to be selected for Tests again. Hazelwood is not the worst pick in the world. Johnson was a dire pick though.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Starc is definitely playing.

If both Siddle and Hilfenhaus play the lost spot up for grabs would go to Hazlewood or Lyon, depending on pitch conditions.

If only one of Sid and Hilf play, I think Johnson will play as the selectors will want two experienced bowlers in the XI.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Lyon is absolutely a lock to play. Especially seeing as though Watson should be passed fit to play.

As is Starc, I'm just worried about the Horse/Siddle situation.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I def. read "fair pitch" as "make sure I can play Lyon because they have no spinner!"

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
what are the options? with 4 blokes down we will be considering playing our 8th in line seamer at the waca, which is either haze or johnson. outside of that you've got dougeh who has been out of favour and averaging 30, copes who finished off last season like a busted and only played 3 games or someone else uncapped and have the most inexperienced lineup since forever in the biggest match we've had in forever
Well Johnson/ Haze would be about 6th in line ya reckon? Can only think the only guys ahead of them who didn't play the last test would be Harris and Starc.

stephen

Picking Johnson again is ridiculous when you have other good backup options who have been very strong domestically.

I'd have played McDermott or Bird ahead of Johnson.

EDIT: So based on the current shield game McDermott must be injured.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Very strange choices in Johnson and Hazelwood

Former has done nothing to justify a recall and I know Hazelwood has talent but he is injury prone, not standing out in domestic cricket and looks a looooooooooooooooooong way from being the finished article

Would struggle to make list of top 10 Aussie pacemen IMO so his really is a wtf selection
Think the selection of Hazlewood was very predictable - it's obvious the selectors don't read too much into form. Plus, wasn't Haze named as back up for the 1st test?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Picking Johnson again is ridiculous when you have other good backup options who have been very strong domestically.

I'd have played McDermott or Bird ahead of Johnson.

EDIT: So based on the current shield game McDermott must be injured.
I doubt he is injured. Currently QLD deem Feldman, Gannon and Cutting ahead of him for 4 day matches, but McDermott is the first picked for OD matches.

stephen

I doubt he is injured. Currently QLD deem Feldman, Gannon and Cutting ahead of him for 4 day matches, but McDermott is the first picked for OD matches.
That's a bit strange given how gun he's been in FC matches. He's averaging a shade over 20 and taking over 4wpm.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Bird, Butterworth, McDermott, Cutting, Bollinger, Nathan Coulter-Nile(home ground bias) or even Putland just to name a few. It's not like the attack is going to be totally green like the GABBA test last year where both Starc and Pattinson made their debuts while we still had a relatively untested Nathan Lyon.

More specifically anyone on this list above MJ and even some below.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just looking through the pecking order thread, I had Hastings in 9th, not many others had him in their top 10 so he must be a big surprise to some.

Excluding Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Starc and the injured Harris, Cummins and Pattinson my next 3 main bowlers were Bollinger, Hazlewood and Hastings and I'm convinced they were the three best options.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's Bird's record like outside of Bellerive? Given that a triple-figure 1st innings seems to be considered a good score there this season, can understand him being viewed with suspicion if his record elsewhere isn't that good.