• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Consecutive Maidens

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I noticed Nathan Lyon finished with 11 maidens off the reel in Adelaide tonight, and wondered how that stacked up in the all-time pantheon (headed, of course, by number one dullard Bapu Nadkarni in his miserly effort of 32-27-5-0).

Google gives me this:

"Nadkarni returned the astonishing figures of 32-27-5-0, including 21-consecutive six-ball maidens against England at Madras (now Chennai) in 1963-64.

South Africa's Hugh Tayfield had a sequence of 16 consecutive eight-ball maidens, also against England at Durban in 1956-57.

West Indies' Joey Carew bowled 15 consecutive six-ball maidens against England at Port-of-Spain in 1967-68.

England's Johnny Wardle bowled 13 consecutive six-ball maidens against South Africa at Nottingham in 1955. The most recent notable instance I am able to track down is Chaminda Vaas's 11-consecutive maidens against India at Chennai in 2005-06."

Any others?

mugshot

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cant find any other international ones of note, damn good post and Im interested to see if anyone else has others to add to the list.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember Swann barely conceding a run in the 4th innings of one of the games in WI a few years ago, when the hosts just about hung on for a draw. But I don't know how many of those were consecutive maidens.

EDIT
This was the game, but Swann didn't manage more than half-a-dozen consecutive maidens.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wiveng2009/engine/match/352664.html

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to open the batting for a lamentably weak under 16 side. One evening we played a team from Blackpool CC who were light years above our standard. They had one opening bowler who was way too quick for our guys and in his first over he got our only two half decent batsmen with his first two deliveries, before our terrified number four yelled me through for a bye.

I was as crap as the rest of them but I was never prepared to be intimidated. I knew this bloke wouldn't dig one in (their umpire/coach had assured of us of that) and I knew our umpire wouldn't give me out lbw, not that it really mattered as the bowler proceeded to bowl eight maiden overs at me almost every delivery pitching on middle and cutting away past the edge of my bat.

The bowlers at the other end kept taking wickets and when we got to the openers ninth over we were nine down for about 15. I had high hopes of carrying my bat for nought, but amazingly I then managed to get the edge of my bat on one that went through the slips and to the boundary so I had four - I clearly riled the bloke as the next one was dead straight and I was so plumb in front even someone as biased as my old man had to trigger me - although I gave him hell about it afterwards, as you do.