• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Powell to T&T?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most people I've read who know much about it seem to reckon all county cricketers get far too much, anyway.
Also that the must-be-professional rule about top-level cricketers is a bad thing if you believe many of these correspondants and I most certainly agree with both things.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Most people I've read who know much about it seem to reckon all county cricketers get far too much, anyway.
You reckon?

I would say in exchange for what they do, a hell of a lot of them are vastly underpaid compared with other sportsmen - if they get too much, how come they all have to work in the winter to pay the bills?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Compared to other sports in Britain - many of which are much more annual - they are terribly underpaid. Sadly, cricket can only pay what it can afford - and there's not much money in English cricket, especially domestic cricket.
Compared to Worldwide salaries, county cricketers do well. South Africans, Kiwis, Aussies, West Indians, even most subcontinentals, pay domestic cricketers less than counties do. Zimbabweans are almost all in terrible states money-wise, and we all know why.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh right, I see.

I thought you were comparing them to other sportspeople, but you were comparing them to other Cricketers.

Fair enough!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
But if they're not better than people who can't make other Test playing nations, surely they're not the sort of player we'd like to see considered for our team?
I know a few England players that probably wouldn't make it into any other Test Nation, a few more if you miss out Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.