Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 123

Thread: Are Tendulkar and Ponting done? Is it time to call it a day?

  1. #106
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

    If Australia had two batsmen of Sharma/Rahane quality sitting on the bench (obviously assuming they were Australian and therefore suited to Australian conditions etc) I'd have no issue with anyone wanting to drop Ponting.
    Sharma has failed far too many times to be considered a potential again.. There many batsmen who are considered supremely talented..even Mohammad Ashraful.. no point if you keep failing..

  2. #107
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Sharma has failed far too many times to be considered a potential again.. There many batsmen who are considered supremely talented..even Mohammad Ashraful.. no point if you keep failing..
    he has not played a single test match to be fair.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

  3. #108
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,351
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Overweight.
    He was in the dark because Cosgrove was blocking the light.

  4. #109
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    he has not played a single test match to be fair.
    I am aware of that..but someone who lacks the temperament in ODIs..surely does not have it for Tests


  5. #110
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,405
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    he has not played a single test match to be fair.
    Exactly. Imagine if Michael Slater played 40 ODIs before played a single Test and was deemed a failure based on that and never selected.

    Sharma needs to be left out of the ODI side indefinitely but he remains a serious Test option.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  6. #111
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

    Sharma needs to be left out of the ODI side indefinitely but he remains a serious Test option.
    Yuvraj in reverse.

  7. #112
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I am aware of that..but someone who lacks the temperament in ODIs..surely does not have it for Tests
    if he didn't have the temperament, he probably would've failed in first-class too

    i get the feeling that virat kohli is going the yuvraj singh way. too many odis seem to have impaired his first class abilities.

  8. #113
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    if he didn't have the temperament, he probably would've failed in first-class too

    i get the feeling that virat kohli is going the yuvraj singh way. too many odis seem to have impaired his first class abilities.
    Virat Kohli is a class act..just a matter of time..

  9. #114
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    if he didn't have the temperament, he probably would've failed in first-class too

    i get the feeling that virat kohli is going the yuvraj singh way. too many odis seem to have impaired his first class abilities.
    nah Virat is vastly superior to Yuvraj in all facets of the game, technique wise Virat i possibly the best batsman in India atm.

  10. #115
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    nah Virat is vastly superior to Yuvraj in all facets of the game, technique wise Virat i possibly the best batsman in India atm.
    but his temperament/concentration seems to be iffy. hopefully he'll come good soon and dispel those doubts.

  11. #116
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I am aware of that..but someone who lacks the temperament in ODIs..surely does not have it for Tests
    I think he'll do well. Maybe he finds the fast pace of limited over matches too restricting. You'll never know until you give him a decent run.

  12. #117
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    nah Virat is vastly superior to Yuvraj in all facets of the game, technique wise Virat i possibly the best batsman in India atm.
    I'd plump for R Sharma tbh. Haven't seen any obvious flaws. Havent seen anyone since Inzamam having so much time to play his shots either.

  13. #118
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    should stop judging players for tests by how they go in ODIs and the other way round.

    the two forms are very different and they require different skills-set.

    (partly why batsmen who excel in both forms tend to be rated higher. you can't be considered a complete batsman if you can't do well in both)
    Last edited by centurymaker; 26-11-2012 at 02:04 AM.

  14. #119
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    should stop judging players for tests by how they go in ODIs and the other way round.

    the two forms are very different and they require different skills-set.

    (partly why batsmen who excel in both forms tend to be rated higher. you can't be considered a complete batsman if you can't do well in both)
    Totally agree if you are talking about physical skill set.

    However, there are certain things which are universal across formats..temperament being one. For example..Umar Akmal, guy lacks the temperament to play a knock in an ODI game..surely he doesn't have that for Test cricket..
    For Sharma, its not about skill-set..he has all the shots in the book, he has that lazy elegance and time of Inzy as someone pointed..what he lacks is temperament..and he is not a newbie anymore..he has been playing international cricket for quite some time now..

  15. #120
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Totally agree if you are talking about physical skill set.

    However, there are certain things which are universal across formats..temperament being one. For example..Umar Akmal, guy lacks the temperament to play a knock in an ODI game..surely he doesn't have that for Test cricket..
    For Sharma, its not about skill-set..he has all the shots in the book, he has that lazy elegance and time of Inzy as someone pointed..what he lacks is temperament..and he is not a newbie anymore..he has been playing international cricket for quite some time now..
    maybe in ODIs he is affected by the constant demands of having to score your runs quickly..
    which ultimately leads to him playing silly shots?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. good article on lara v. tendulkar
    By Bapu Rao Swami in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 14-01-2011, 01:19 AM
  3. Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?
    By Sir Alex in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 17-02-2010, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •