• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pak In NZ Thread

Craig

World Traveller
52/7. Robbie Hart left a ball from Sami and got bowled.

If Vettori and Oram can hang through for most of the day, Oram would have earnt a reputation.

I hope NZ lose this Test. They dont deserve to win it, regardless of what happens and what Mr M might say. Bat like this and so they should.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you have to give some credit to the Pakistan bowlers..they've been alot better than the 1st innings effort but the NZ batting has left alot to be desired im afraid.

It's always dangerous going into a days play when you know that really there should be no chance of a result but here we are at 57/7 with only a 157 run lead.

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
what the hell!? Hart leaves a ball & is bowled..maybe we should start taking bets as to how long John Bracewell will last as coach if this kind of form keeps up.
That is probably a bit harsh considering NZ put up over 560 in their first innings and this is his first Test in charge.

At least Vettori is in some form.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
That may be, but only Fleming & Vettori really contributed to that big score & the tactics of Styris, McMillan, Cairns & Oram in the middle of that innings were questionable to say the least.

New Zealand didn't really have too many ideas in the field either..and its not like this pitch has turned into a mine-field either for the batsmen today.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont have a go at Oram just yet. He is hanging in there and trying to stay in there with Vettori.

masterblaster

International Captain
Why do they keep persisting with Robbie Hart in Tests?
His batting is so mediocre its not funny. Why isn't New Zealand bringing Brendon McCullum into the test arena?

He maybe an inconsistent bat, but he's very talented as well. Nowaday's a keeper who can bat well is so important.

Tim, maybe you can answer this.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
If NZ score less than 137 a.o. it will be the largest Test margin between 1st and 2nd inns in which the 1st inns score is greater than 2nd inns.
Currently held by SA v Aus. at Melbourne in 1910/11: 1st inns 506, 2nd inns 80 (difference of 426).

Highest overall inns. difference is 551 by Pakistan vs. WI in 57/58 - made 106 in 1st inns and 8/657d. in 2nd, thanks to 337 by Hanif Mohammad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum could build a strong case at the moment because Hart seems to be lacking confidence with both the gloves & the bat.

McCullum has been opening for Canterbury in the 4-dayers with mixed success & he's already taken the most catches by any player in the State Championship so far..IMO McCullum will be much better test player than ODI player because it was the 4-dayers for the NZ U19's where he made his name batting at 6.

Hart hadn't done too much wrong, but since the 2nd test in India he seems to be dropping an alarming number of catches & he's not showing the stickability with the bat that he showed in the West Indies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that sucks. Rain and poor light suspending play with NZ 96/8, no chance for Pakistan to win now unless they come back on in about 5 mins. Awesome comeback from Sami with 5/44 - 3rd 5 wicket haul in the match.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
well actually he can..but he has a habit of grassing the most important ones & that will reflect badly in his CV.

Although if he's batting well and taking the majority of catches then he's already ahead of Hart so he should still get picked.

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Survived almost 3 hours and added 152 with Moin - shocking.
Same class as Vettori though?

I know he has worked hard on his game, but his technique against Butler was absolute shocking. Exposed all 3 of his stumps on several occasions and looked clueless on the bouncers.

Tuffey's highest first-class score is 89* while Sami's is 41*.

THE MINGSTER

masterblaster said:
Why do they keep persisting with Robbie Hart in Tests?
His batting is so mediocre its not funny. Why isn't New Zealand bringing Brendon McCullum into the test arena?

He maybe an inconsistent bat, but he's very talented as well. Nowaday's a keeper who can bat well is so important.
Well McCullum has dropped as much chances in the ODI game than Hart. Bracewell answered this question very well.

Hart's batting is not mediocre. He has saved a few matches for us with his dogged batting, namely West Indies.

THE MINGSTER

Tim said:
well actually he can..but he has a habit of grassing the most important ones & that will reflect badly in his CV.

Although if he's batting well and taking the majority of catches then he's already ahead of Hart so he should still get picked.
McCullum's batting is still inconsistent.

If they were going to dump Hart, it has to be his keeping not his batting. Because that would just make a ridicule of the selection process.

Here are McCullum's scores so far in the State Championship.

76 (104), 5 (7), 22 (15), 21 (26), for an average of 31. Needs to learn to occupy the crease a bit more.

The makeup of the ODI squad will be interesting with the experienced guys coming back.

Here would be my squad of 12.

Fleming (c), McCullum, Marshall, Styris, McMillan, Cairns, Vincent, Oram, Wilson/Walker, Vettori, Tuffey, Butler.

I want to see McCullum open and Vincent at 7 after Cairns. He played there against England and faired pretty well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
THE MINGSTER said:
Same class as Vettori though?
Does that even matter?

If Sami had gone early, the follow on was a distinct probablility - he stuck it for 3 hours (not bad after the way you wrote him off before he batted!) and helped save the game.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Unfortunately, McCullum can't catch the ball.
Hart is hardly better than McCullum :rolleyes: . The only difference is Hart drops not so important catches while McCullum drops important ones.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vishnureddy said:
Hart is hardly better than McCullum :rolleyes: . The only difference is Hart drops not so important catches while McCullum drops important ones.
Hart has had a rough spell with the gloves (heck even Boucher has had rough times in the past), but he's still a solid WK in my books. For whatever reason, he seems to have (temporarily?) lost it though.

From what I've seen of McCullum, I would frankly rate Wavell Hinds over him.

anzac

International Debutant
Merry X-Mas everyone........:)

Haven't been here for a while - been tied up with work & missed most of the Test as well..........

Grear score for the NZ first innings with Fleming & Vettori having good knocks. Great to see Vettori get his maiden Test century on his home pitch & end with a n.o. The NZ total was helped in no small way by the poor bowling effort from the Pakistani seam bowlers - Sami in particular.

The Pakistan 1st innings did show some problems with the NZ batting in the middle & lower orders, and more importantly that the pitch did not have too many demons if you had patience enough to occupy the crease. This was borne out by Pakistan finishing only 100 in deficit, and helped in no small way by Sami being able to occupy the crease for so long.

Some 2nd innings complacency from the Kiwis (poor technique, lack of form, too complacent re the state of the match / Pakistani 1st innings bowling - or whatever), plus a much improved bowling effort from Sami (a dozen overs on end & still clocking high 140s - low 150s in each over!!!!) combined with weather interrupting play made for a heart stopping last day.

Hopefully both sides will have benefitted from the last day's play & we will be in for a good match at the Basin starting tomorrow.

:)

anzac

International Debutant
There are a few Kiwi players who will be looking for some form to keep their selections intact for the RSA series.....

Vincent, Styris, Macca, Carins, Oram & Hart all need a confidence boost with the bat. Styris scored freely enough in both innings, but was not judicious enough in his shot selection & gave up his wicket too quickly. Oram helped to 'save' the 2nd innings long enough for the weather to intervene, but still needs a good batting performance to stake his claim as the 'allrounder' ahead of an out of form Cairns. Vincent & Macca both need to show the touch they had in India.

So far as the bowling goes the main question is how soon does Bracewell committ to his preference for 2 spinners in the side - I think he will do so in the 2nd Test.

That being the case who is he likely to drop to make way for Wiseman? It's not going to be a batsman and it won't be Tuffey. Oram bowled well enough & was economical so he is likely to be retained, which leaves Cairns and Butler.

I saw nothing from Cairns with either bat or ball to justify his selection in the first instance, likewise Butler struggled in his early spells & was expensive, but came back strongly & bowled well without luck. I heard an interesting comment re Butler that he appears to struggle with his role in the side - sounds familiar re Vincent & also Lee for the Aussies (unsure wether role is to intimidate or restrict runs). My preference would be to leave Cairns out of the side as the seam attack is too one paced with Butler out. I would also tell Butler that his primary role in his opening spells is to let it rip, and then to evaluate the state of the match re tactics for his latter spells.

Having said that I think it will be Butler who carries the drinks as they obviously want Cairns back in the side asap otherwise they would not have picked him in the first Test.

:)

THE MINGSTER

Well Anzac, you headache is solved because Cairns is out of the Test because of a virus!

You can't really leave Butler out because our firepower is already weakened by the loss of Bond.

Richard Jones is tipped to be into the XI at the loss of Cairns, and might open to allow Vincent to bat at 6.

I can't see Oram bat at 6 at this stage so Jones would get my call.