• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pak In NZ Thread

cbuts

International Debutant
if astle is unable to play in the south africain series, id like to see jamie how get a chance. so far this domestic season he has probally been the best opening batsman.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
While How has been batting well for C.D, I can't see him being picked ahead of Papps & McIntosh at this stage.
Although if he keeps scoring runs in OD's for C.D then he could well get a chance in ODI's.

He's only 21 or 22 I think so he's got heaps of time yet, Papps & McIntosh are now both 24 and have more experience.

Kent

State 12th Man
"But the explanation from the top brass - that he possesses an "international-grade" technique that's best suited to international-grade pitches, is a telling commentary on the standard of wickets for domestic cricket." - Richard Boock on Hamish Marshall.

I think from Marshall we all realise that our State comps don't give you a foolproof guide, but it's been great to see a clear second tier of high-achieving young players develop this season. While Jesse Ryder seems like one of those too young to make cricket into a serious job, the others seem to be actually benefiting from the academy, the extra pay, etc.

Ron Palenski's Tuesday column argued that NZ cricket doesn't have depth even as good as the West Indies, which I think is at the least arrogant speculation and more than likely rubbish. Surely Papps, McIntosh and How would score plenty of Busta Cup runs against the Windward Islands, etc.!

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
pakistan

in my opinion the pakistani test team should be,

Taufeeq Umar
Imran Farhat
Yasir Hameed
Yousuf Youhana
Inzi
Abdur Razzaq
Shoaib Malik
Moin Khan
Mohammed Sami
Shoaib Akhtar
Danish Kaneria

cbuts

International Debutant
the nz domestic comp is very weak, and i wouldnt be suprised if it is weaker the the wset indies. to many of the islands cricket is the national sport, and is as popular as rugby is here.

in my popnion how is the best outta those three, i guess we will see what the selectors think when the yuppies get here.

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
A guy called Dylan Cleaver wrote an excellent column in the Sunday Star Times on Sunday. He asked why the State Competitions exist, as it is clear the NZ selectors do not base their selections on these comps. Hamish Marshall is an excellent example of this. He has no real form and averages low 20’s with no hundreds but is picked for NZ because he looks to have a sound temperament and technique. How can they tell this unless he is being basically picked from what they see in the Academy. Not sure if the article is available online but it was very well written and questions they value of these comps. They cost a great deal to run, next to no-one watches them and poses the questions, should we just identify Academy talent and run a series of ‘A’ teams to different parts of the world, and choose our next Test/ODI players from this format.

Any see it – or have a comment on this?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
70/6...NZ doing a good job at the moment, but the 2 bogey players are in (Moin & Razzaq).

Infact Razzaq is lucky to still be there..Cairns bowled one which he left it and it hit the off stump, but the bail didn't fall.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
85/8....considering how good the other wickets have been in this series, Napier hasn't really come up with the goods today. It looks like one of the pitches we saw v India last year.

New Zealand have bowled well though & have deserved all their wickets.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Shoaib has just taken Cairns to the cleaners...great to watch, no fear at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why the hell did India play like Zimbabwe in the WC prelims (v Aus)?

These things happen. No team is perfect and not every day goes according to plan.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And are you watching this match mate?
New Zealand have bowled pretty well up until Shoaib came in & pretty much threw the bat at anything.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if you havnt noticed there is a BIG dif between aus and nz
So you're calling NZ substandard?

Every team has collapsed at times... especially in ODI's. New Zealand has quite a decent ODI attack IMO. Not meaning to sound childish, it's certainly better than India's.

NikhilN

International Regular
i am not saying nz suck. i am just saying there is a BIG dif between aus and nz. aus are the best there is. nz is good 2. they have some really good players 2

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are probably 2 good batsmen away from being a good ODI team.

The bowling is reasonably good, although we could do with the really quick bowler like Bond.

If we find a good opener & another top order batsman, then our fortunes could change in ODI cricket.

Kent

State 12th Man
TDCC Young Guns said:
the nz domestic comp is very weak, and i wouldnt be suprised if it is weaker the the wset indies. to many of the islands cricket is the national sport, and is as popular as rugby is here.

I'm not actually sure about this any more. It would be interesting to see what Mr. Mxyzptlk thinks, as I've read a lot of stories about the boom of American sports in the Caribbean.

I think the only weak thing about our domestic comp is our pitches, really. In the last 4 years we've had 3 test centuries on debut, better than any other nation. Sure, there are plenty of trundlers in State cricket, but again that comes back to pitches and who they reward.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you'll find that all domestic competitions around the world struggle.

A good example has been Pakistan...they have the same problem playing on belters back home, when they come to NZ they struggle to bat on pitches that nip around a bit.

Crowd Attendences are also a problem everywhere...I think the best thing to do is take them to the smaller centres where people appreciate seeing so called big name players coming to town & playing a high level of cricket.