• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pak In NZ Thread

Kent

State 12th Man
Just thought I'd also mention that I watched the highlights of the '01 Perth test last night.

For Ashley Ross to say "nothing's changed since" in regards to Vettori's bowling action makes me really question his credibility.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Peter Fulton is now averaging 50 overall so far in his FC career with 3 hundreds & 6 fifties...if he can keep that average up for the rest of the season & also in the NZ 'A' games then surely he's got to go to England.

ATM I'd say he'd be 2nd in line behind Papps & ahead of McIntosh......

but who knows what could happen in the RSA series if some of the current squad members continue to play poorly......

we definately need some competition for places throughout the batting lineup - not just in the top order....

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Just thought I'd also mention that I watched the highlights of the '01 Perth test last night.

For Ashley Ross to say "nothing's changed since" in regards to Vettori's bowling action makes me really question his credibility.

haven't they been saying that he's bending his back more in his delivery to help get drift or something?????

so far as Ross is concerned I already have doubts about his credibility following the ODI series in Pakistan.......

Craig

World Traveller
anzac said:
ATM I'd say he'd be 2nd in line behind Papps & ahead of McIntosh......

but who knows what could happen in the RSA series if some of the current squad members continue to play poorly......

we definately need some competition for places throughout the batting lineup - not just in the top order....
Papps and Fulton will go to England. Thing that will go in Papps favour is that he can keep just in case Hart gets injured.

My squad to England:
Richardson, Fulton, Papps, McIntosh, Astle, Styris, Fleming, McMillan, Cairns, McCullum, Hart, Vettori, Bruce Martin (a bit of a surprise), Tuffey, Oram, Bond (if fit or Michael Mason) Butler.

Andre Adams can be on standby. McCullum would be my back up just in case. Jamie How might be on standby as well along with Nicol and Ryder.

Richardson, Astle, Fleming, Styris, McMillan, Tuffey, Vettori, Hart, Cairns, Oram and Bond (if fit) are the only certainies to go to England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Wilson keeps performing like that then Cairns will really struggle to hold his place.

I agree about Bruce Martin..if you look at his batting & bowling this season, he's been one of the standouts in an average Northern Districts side.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McMillan needs to becareful though...there is already a sense that he is back to the type of batting that saw him being dropped last year.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Papps is 41* against Otago..if he notches up a good score in this match then if Cumming fails at Christchurch, there is sure to be a change.

Wilson also opened the bowling and has figures of 6 overs for 13 runs, which also included 3 maidens...and this has come despite the fact that he's been out injured for more than a month.
The acid is really going on a couple of players now and im sure the NZ players will be well aware of how these players are doing.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see Peter Fulton come in & score some runs, Canterbury chasing 292 and are 84/0 after 22 overs so some acceleration will be required at some point.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, Fulton only lasted 2 balls so thats not really good..but Papps is still there on 88 off 104 balls.

Kent

State 12th Man
Papps' 132 kind of has me hoping Cumming fails again tomorrow, just so we might see whether his hot form translates or his crease shuffle is exposed by the Pakistani S's. That's a terrible way to think, but still!

anzac said:
haven't they been saying that he's bending his back more in his delivery to help get drift or something?????

Have they? I thought they're saying absolutely nothing has changed. More back bend would explain what the chicken wing arms are for though.

"Vettori said nothing had changed with his action since he modified it. Since then he had bowled superbly to take 6-87 against Australia in Perth two years ago" - http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2775510a10133,00.html

Honestly, after watching that tape I might be a bit sad just watching Vettori bowl from now on. The elegant approach, a beautiful high bowling arm being brought over by an angled torso, letting the ball drift then spin and bounce. Parore gloving the finest of snicks from Steve Waugh....boy, those were the days!

Last edited:

Bouncer

State Regular
End of the first innings Pak 255/9 Razaaq 50 off 26 balls, Pakistan got about 60 runs in last 6 overs. how was the opening partnership?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cummings fails again, I don't think he can handle the pace of Sami and Akhtar personally.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cumming will definately be dropped i'd say, considering Michael Papps made 132 off 138 balls yesterday he'll be too good to pass up.

Marshall made 64 so i was far too premature in saying he was going to be like Vincent.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Despite the fact that the pitch was a belter..Cairns was still disappointing conceeding 54 runs of 9 overs.

Other than that, and yet another failure from Cumming...NZ have come back very strongly. Let's not forget that NZ are missing their best ODI batsman & their best ODI bowler currently and for a country like NZ short on talent it's difficult to replace it.

I can't believe though that Papps hasn't been called up, and the reason for dropping Butler was bizarre "We think the boundries are too small for him", well if I was Butler i'd be storming into the selectors office and demanding answers because thats about as good as a kick in the guts.

Fleming crashes the winning runs and NZ win very easily 259/3 with 4 overs to spare. Similar type of match to Queenstown, with the winner/loser reversed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's probably the worst reason for someone being dropped ever. It really is ridiculous, especially since Cairns has been bowling much worse than Butler.

Shoaib was still the pick of the bowlers and only really got hit around in his second last over. Even when it was clear NZ were going to win Shoaib still gave us entertainment with his little battle with McMillan, great stuff.

Good ton for Fleming though I find it weird he's only made 5 in his career. A few times he should of pushed on.

Craig

World Traveller
What's McIntosh like as a player? Pretty aggressive?

Not picking Butler because the grounds are too small so will that mean Shoaib will not play? I dont think so.

Inzi should look at a 6th bowler as it is in New Zealand's advantage as there is no geniune bowling options out of Shoaib, Sami, Shoaib Malik, Ahzar and Abdur.