Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Pak In NZ Thread

Ian Butler just takes his 5th wicket of the first innings. Congratulations - a fine spell indeed.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I think Lou Vincent's time is up: 8, 4, 0 and 4.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

International Debutant
    a very good day in the field for NZ with the bowlers all performing well to their tasks & Butler being outstanding when given the platform to have a go at the batsmen.....

He still has a bit of craft to learn as in when to pitch it up as opposed to the constant short stuff, but again he will improve with more exposure & experience.

I know it is still some ways off but I'm really looking forward to seeing an attack of Bond, Butler, Tuffey, Oram & Vettori in England - I think they have more to fear than the Kiwis so far as the respective bowling attacks go!!!

Vincent has had a shocker of a series & some serious thought must be made regarding his future in the team - especially once Astle is fit again. The first indications will come during the upcoming ODI series.

Interesting comment from Ian Smith regarding Richardson's slowness this arvo undoing the good work that he had done in the first innings.....

NZ MUST press on tomorrow & build a good lead quickly to give themselves enough time to bowl Pakistan out - perhaps to bat hard in the first session, evaluate at lunch and then let rip with 4 - 4 1/2 sessions to bowl them out.....

I'd also expect to see a lot of quick bowling changes to keep the Pakistani batsmen on their toes, with Vettori tying down an end with Styris & Macca if there is some cloud cover to aid their swing, while the seam attack has a go from the other....

Butler bowls well into the wind I discovered today.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Debutant
    yes I thought he was able to generate impressive pace despite heading into the breeze - his line was good for the most part, I just wish he'd pitch a few more up on a full length to try & get a few inswinging yorkers going so he doesn't become too predictable.......

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well, this match is suddenly back in the melting pot.

Kudos to Shoaib, one of the worst collapses ever I would speculate - 95-3 to 103 all out is pretty impressive!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

7/8... that's incredible. Shoaib did a similar thing to Bangladesh a while ago, but then, that's Bangladesh. Swinging back into Pakistan's favour at the moment - 2/103 with Hameed going well. Butler has been rubbish today, but still a while to go yet.

What on earth is Craig MacMillan doing?! Just bowled a ball from three metres behind the crease:O Seems like NZ are getting just a tad desperate.

International Debutant
    wow what a difference a day can make........

a second 2nd innings batting collapse in this series by NZ - both precipitated by the Pakistani quicks being able to pitch the ball up and get it to swing late at pace...........

Shoaib today & Sami at Hamilton on this tour, Sami did the same on the last tour, and both Wasim & Waqar b4 them, let alone Shoaib's performances in Pakistan over the last couple of seasons!

The NZ batsmen had no answer as they do not encounter anything remotely like this swing or pace in local domestic cricket, similarly the NZ bowlers were unable to reproduce any hint of the swing obtained by the Pakistani bowlers.

It was unusual to see Richardson slash at a widish delivery, but Styris played a terrible shot first up, and then McMillan ran out Tuffey with a very suicidal call! Oram was never comfortable after being struck on the hand first ball, and then McMillan further complicated the issue by not making any attempt to protect the tail & try to see Ahktar off!

The NZ attack were then guilty of bowling short of a good length allowing the Pakistani batsmen plenty of time to play the ball off the back foot.

With only some 28 runs required by Pakistan to win & re write the record books at the Basin re 4th innings totals, the writing appears on the wall for NZ and they will be praying for rain to save them again!!!

International Debutant
    very disapointing to see the lack of discipline by some of the NZ players after such a good performance in India.

Vincent has had a shocker & must be doubtful to retain his spot for the RSA tour; Styris & Macca both showed a lack of discipline in their batting regarding the game situations. Coney made the observation that Styris tends to play too many shots for a genuine number 4, and after this series I'm begining to think he may have a point! Likewise Macca has shown a lack of application to his batting that was so evident in India, & his efforts today did not set any example from such a senior player.

The bowlers do not escape without some criticism, with none of them really showing the discipline they had on Day 3 regarding their length.

If NZ is going to keep producing pitches such as these then the bowlers need to develop some further skills to exploit the atmospheric conditions, and also learn the disciplines to bowl a full length. Furthermore it would be nice to see some more genuine pace & swing encouraged.

International Debutant
    well a 13 man squad has been named for the first 2 ODIs, with 1 to be ommitted from the following:

Fleming
    Cumming
    Marshall
    Styris
    McMillan
    McCullum
    Oram
    Cairns
    Vettori
    Tuffey
    Butler
    Adams
    Mills

Cairns is still under an illness cloud so he could miss out. I am surprised to see Butler's inclusion as IMO he is better suited to the longer game. Cumming gets the nod ahead of Vincent but Jones can feel unlucky.

I'd expect to see Butler dropped from the squad and perhaps Cairns to sit the 1st ODI out unless he recovers quickly, in which case Mills could find himself carrying the drinks.

The fact that this squad has only been named for the 1st 2 matches is a good indicator that the selectors are still not confident they have the right mix yet, either opening or in bowling at the death - further indications IMO that opportunities were not taken to experiment in the 5 ODIs in Pakistan re the top order options .

No surprise to see Vincent dropped. The annoying thing is, that New Zealand have been dominant IMO in this series, except for some poor batting, good bowling and good batting and some interference with the weather is mainly the reasons why Pakistan look like winning this Test and series.

I still believe Inzi's captaincy has been ordinary.

Originally posted by Craig
    annoying thing is, that New Zealand have been dominant IMO in this series, except for some poor batting, good bowling and good batting and some interference with the weather is mainly the reasons why Pakistan look like winning this Test and series.

That's a lot of reasons though!!!

It just underlines the beauty of Cricket to me.

That said, there's reports of rain possibly tomorrow, and Inzamam didn't take the extra 8 overs tonight when only 28 were needed.

That decision has the potential to really bounce back at him...

Originally posted by marc71178
    That said, there's reports of rain possibly tomorrow, and Inzamam didn't take the extra 8 overs tonight when only 28 were needed.

That decision has the potential to really bounce back at him...
    In the end it didn't. Play was delayed 30 mins, but inzi and youhana took no chances, wrapping it up in under 4 overs. An interesting series in which both sides dominated for periods, but never for the entirety of the match. In the end Shoaib was the difference. Makes for interesting reading of the ICC test championship, with Pakistan replacing NZ at no. 3. NZ could drop further still if India wins in Aus...

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information