• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fidel Edwards VS Andrew Flintoff as test bowlers

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
As Fidel takes another 5 wicket haul I can't help but think of Flintoff who I remember didn't take that much 5fers

We all know Flintoff was better to watch bowl...but the record would suggest Fidel is actually the more useful bowler to win matches... which is amazing.. The one who just by watching is easily the best is actually inferior in the long run.

Fidel Edwards | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Andrew Flintoff | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Fidel is a match winner, the number of 5 wicket hauls already and his way better strike rate is what puts him above flintoff . I can't believe I am typing this too but logically I am right.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that batsman had actually just hit a 4. that's how much fidel and sammy love the game

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
shut the board down
Don't you find it amazing by looking at the stats anyone who is trying to win matches would pick Fidel before Flintoff.

As accurate as he is the results flintoff got were quite poor compared to Edward's record.

It says something about using number of 5 wickets haul to judge bowlers tho..

Spikey

Flintoff won matches in spells

or with the bat

or by telling the batsman to mind the windows

centurymaker

International Captain
Stats and spreadsheets aren't the be-all and end-all .etc .etc
yea because in the game of cricket, an edge can get you out even though it's a far smaller misjudgement/mistake compared to a play & a miss, which is of no detriment to you at all...
funny game, involves a bit of luck. hence stats may not reveal how well someone bowled or batted in reality.......so better to come out of the obsession with numbers, although they're important. just my general opinion regarding this..

flibbertyjibber

Fidel is more of a better version of Devon Malcolm. Brilliant on his day and dire when he isn't taking hatfuls of wickets. Add in the fact that Flintoff was part of a very good 4 man pace attack and could bat then your argument is flawed.

Joel Garner only got 7 Michelle's in his career, I guess you are saying Edwards is better than him too?

Spark

Global Moderator
Why is that so weird re: an edge being a smaller misjudgement? If you're trying to middle the ball, it stands to reason that the more you miss it by, the "worse" you've done. Ofc this doesn't take technical considerations like following the ball with your hands into account, but it's a fair point

centurymaker

International Captain
imagine if there were stats on edges, play & misses for each batsman and corresponding stats for bowlers.
for example, avg no. of deliveries faced per play & a miss.. or maybe avg no. of deliveries played at per play & a miss (to exclude leaves)

:laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A fully committed play-and-miss might be a bigger mistake than a nick, but not one where you go on to make a stroke, realise at the last fraction of a moment that you might nick it and then decide to lessen your commitment slightly to make sure you miss it, just. (I'm not talking aout withdrawing from the shot completely at the last moment, I'm talking about those cases where you don't even have the time to withdraw from the shot - you just slow down your hand movement slightly, slow down your bat speed slightly at the last moment to miss it - if you understand what I mean).

And from personal experience, I would say it's very difficult to distinguish between the two from a spectators PoV. I would say more than half the play-and-miss that we see are of the 2nd type.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well yeah, but that's the kind of nuances that stats don't see, which is the original point