• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural CW "Worst Dismissal Ever" Competition

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even though a one dayer, and I've never seen video of it, surely Gatting's reverse sweep in India vs Australia during the 87 WC deserves a mention, of some sort.
If we do a thread for one-dayers, the winner has to be Keith Arthurton vs Aus in the 1996 WC semis. Far worse than Gatting's reverse
Think as one-day dismissals go a certain run-out pisses it.

Gatting still gets a lot of stick for that shot, but TBH, it was a shot he was good at normally. It was to the right ball too. We really should have still won even after, if it wasn't us. Two silly run-outs followed.

Probably put England cricket back twenty years too, any kind of adventrous batting was outlawed, or so it seems.

Having said that I rather wish he'd waited a few balls to play it, and it was terribly executed.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ricky Ponting, just then.

2/50 and gets a half volley from Jacques Kallis. Moves slightly and takes out off stump, with Ponting ending up flat on his face just for effect.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope, bad nomination. Very late outswing and didn't have his feet moving, which is hardly unusual for Ponting early in his innings.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Ricky Ponting, just then.

2/50 and gets a half volley from Jacques Kallis. Moves slightly and takes out off stump, with Ponting ending up flat on his face just for effect.
+1. Ponting's reaction and stumble made it look way unplayable than that it actually was.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmm. I don't mind if its nominated, but I wouldn't vote for it. The old man just has this nervous mental issue these days early on in Test Cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was a famous Chris Lewis dismissal against Aus at Lord's in 1993 - a relaxed stroll down the wicket against Tim May that saw him stumped by a country mile. I always felt it wasn't quite as bad as some made out - it certainly had no bearing on agame that was already virtually lost - but others felt it was one of the worst ever.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i guess the one thing in his favour is that he totally had the right idea

it was just......