• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural CW "Worst Dismissal Ever" Competition

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know getting out on the last ball of a day is kinda Clarke's schtick, but has his dismissal by Harmy at the end of day 3 of the 2nd test in 2005 had a mention yet?

Strolls out of the crease and allows himself to be yorked by a slower ball that he tried to shovel through the leg side.

Decent nut, but given Oz were 7 down in the 4th innings and still facing a deficit of (IIRC) 99 it must score pretty well on the "match awareness" quotient.

YouTube.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was a famous Gower dismissal in the 1990/91 Ashes. I can't remember which test it was, but he was comfortably set with lunch approaching and decided to give the guy at fine leg some catching practice.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know getting out on the last ball of a day is kinda Clarke's schtick, but has his dismissal by Harmy at the end of day 3 of the 2nd test in 2005 had a mention yet?

Strolls out of the crease and allows himself to be yorked by a slower ball that he tried to shovel through the leg side.

Decent nut, but given Oz were 7 down in the 4th innings and still facing a deficit of (IIRC) 99 it must score pretty well on the "match awareness" quotient.

YouTube.
I don't think getting out at a bad time, early in your innings, to a pretty good ball is reason enough to be in this category itbt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

YouTube.
Its not even close imo. He was just outdone by good bowling. Wasn't premeditated or anything. He got a full ball and went to flick it through the legside and didn't realise it was the slower ball. Really don't think it fits the thread.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wasn't early in his innings. Was on 30 at the time. Him & Warne had moved Oz from 137/7 to 175/7 and it was the last ball of the day.

Still a brain fade, IMHO.

benchmark00

Pre-dropping, Clarke used to seemingly deliberately hit dickloads of stuff at catchable height through covers etc. Much more unforgivable than the Harmison one.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He tried to clip a ball on the stumps through the legside.
Well, I wouldn't have been happy for an English player to have got out playing that shot with stumps beckoning given the match situation at the time, but whatevs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't early in his innings. Was on 30 at the time. Him & Warne had moved Oz from 137/7 to 175/7 and it was the last ball of the day.

Still a brain fade, IMHO.
I think the credit on that needs to go to Harmison. Was completely done over by a ball he didn't expect, adjusted to it late and tried to do the first thing that came into his mind given it was on leg stump before pitching and knocking into off/middle. Smart bowling and even better to execute it.

Amazingly I can't think of any NZ shots off the top of my head.

Spikey

i just remembered H. Jayawardene played a really stupid innings that ended with him slog sweeping lyon to deep midwicket moments before the end of a session once

Top_Cat

I think the credit on that needs to go to Harmison. Was completely done over by a ball he didn't expect, adjusted to it late and tried to do the first thing that came into his mind given it was on leg stump before pitching and knocking into off/middle. Smart bowling and even better to execute it.
Yeah exactly and people (you, Brumby****) too quickly forget that Harmi had delivered an absolutely brilliant over to lead up to that ball. Smacked Clarke's splice a few times with some 90mph+ nastiness immediately before that ball in what was a pretty intense atmosphere. Clarke was pretty rattled and after what came before it, I would have defied anyone not named Bradman to have thought a slower-ball was a possibility. Was an epic moment in the match and one of the few times you could say for sure that Harmi genuinely out-thought someone.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Suresh Raina charging out of his crease like a meth addicted tiger, playing for non-existent turn and getting bowled by Jeetan Patel [/thread]

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It was a nice bit of bowling from Harmy, but if Clarke's playing straight he's not yorked. & match situation, last ball of day, etc, etc...

Any road tho, it seems iniquitous to me that a lot of posters have jumped on Tait's dismissal at Trent Bridge (a #11, after all) and a proper batsman gets a free pass.