• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural CW "Worst Dismissal Ever" Competition

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The winner has to be a first ball duck surely. It's one thing to play a stupid shot once you get your eye in, but doing it first ball is something else. Especially in a situation like Bell was in today.

Satyanash89

Banned
The winner has to be a first ball duck surely. It's one thing to play a stupid shot once you get your eye in, but doing it first ball is something else. Especially in a situation like Bell was in today.
Hussey at Capetown 2011? Im surprised people usually mention haddins but not hussey. Chasing a wide half volley, with australia already having lost a bunch of wickets for virtually nothing is pretty bad. It was the first ball of the session too iirc

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah that was horrible, and now I know what Pup Clarke was referring to. Worthy nomination.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
MS Dhoni at Trent Bridge.

You've been pummelled in the first Test, and a great effort from your bowlers and a great partnership has given you a 50 run lead in the 2nd Test. England have just taken the new ball, Dravid's just reached his 2nd ton of the series and they've just got Yuvraj. We're now approaching a crucial part of the match, and possibly the series. The ball is still relatively new, and with the wicket of Yuvraj and just the bowlers to follow you, England have their tails up slightly. Dravid at the other end looks like he could bat all decade without offering a chance.

Do you:

a) play circumspectly to get your eye in, blunt the new ball and support Dravid at the other end, wearing England down and allow India to push for at least a 100-150 run lead

b) try to drive at full outswingers pitched on off stump and nick off to the slips, thus exposing the bowlers to the new ball and let England back into the match when you had a chance to bury them?

Satyanash89

Banned
MS Dhoni at Trent Bridge.

You've been pummelled in the first Test, and a great effort from your bowlers and a great partnership has given you a 50 run lead in the 2nd Test. England have just taken the new ball, Dravid's just reached his 2nd ton of the series and they've just got Yuvraj. We're now approaching a crucial part of the match, and possibly the series. The ball is still relatively new, and with the wicket of Yuvraj and just the bowlers to follow you, England have their tails up slightly. Dravid at the other end looks like he could bat all decade without offering a chance.

Do you:

a) play circumspectly to get your eye in, blunt the new ball and support Dravid at the other end, wearing England down and allow India to push for at least a 100-150 run lead

b) try to drive at full outswingers pitched on off stump and nick off to the slips, thus exposing the bowlers to the new ball and let England back into the match when you had a chance to bury them?
Oh This. How could i have forgotten?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nicking an opening bowler's outswinger to slip is just a bit too textbook for this afaic, though it does score maximum on the "match situation" part

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You could probably add in his dismissals in the 2nd innings at Lord's and the Oval in the "for **** sake, grow a spine and tough it out for 15 minutes" category.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nicking an opening bowler's outswinger to slip is just a bit too textbook for this afaic, though it does score maximum on the "match situation" part
Bonus points for him being the captain as well. Had Dravid not basically been forced to slog when India were 8 down then I think he'd still be batting now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What about Dhoni in Mumbai where he sends one straight to Panesar who drops it. So he sends another one like two balls later. The situation was similar to Bells, I think?

But his shot in that England series doesn't qualify for mine. That's just good bowling to a bad batsman.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
What about Dhoni in Mumbai where he sends one straight to Panesar who drops it. So he sends another one like two balls later. The situation was similar to Bells, I think?

But his shot in that England series doesn't qualify for mine. That's just good bowling to a bad batsman.
This one was hilarious coz the drop from monty was :laugh:
he missed it in the air and ended up trying to protect his head.. a video would be gold but theres no sign of it on youtube

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Yeah it does. He should have left the ****ing things alone instead of repeatedly driving balls that were begging to be nicked to the cordon. Particularly as he was the captain, particularly given the match situation at Trent Bridge, particularly as he'd done exactly the same thing at Lord's.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it does. He should have left the ****ing things alone instead of repeatedly driving balls that were begging to be nicked to the cordon. Particularly as he was the captain, particularly given the match situation at Trent Bridge, particularly as he'd done exactly the same thing at Lord's.
Nah we're talking worst dismissal EVER, that's just pretty bog-standard rubbish.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worse than Bell's given it was day five and India seemed a decent bet for a draw

NB - Panesar didn't drop the first one because he stood and watched it drop, thinking Anderson was going to catch it

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think it counts as a drop regardless of what the fielder tries to use to catch it, even if it's another fielder