• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural CW "Worst Dismissal Ever" Competition

Satyanash89

Banned
Warne and Martyn
Bell and Bell

Still maintain that Harmison deserves full credit for that slower ball... Clarke was just completely fooled by the loop and the unexpected nature of the ball... no one saw that coming

Spark

Global Moderator
Very even tussle in Battle 3, with Martyn (6) the standout and Warne's (4) comedy 99 just scraping past Watson's comedy leave (3) and Clarke's failure to read Harmy's slower ball bringing up the rear on 2. Much more clear-cut with Bell achieving an impressive cleansweep with a pair of 7s and no votes for the others.

---

Battle 5

Two awful shots, one inexplicable piece of absent-mindedness and one that can only be described as odd.

David Gower, Aus vs Eng, 4th Test 1991 @ Adelaide, 1st innings. It's really hard to know what to say about this one that isn't said by flicking one in the air to an obvious deep legside trap just before a break.

Andrew Strauss, Eng vs SL, 1st Test 2012 @ Galle, 2nd innings. Was a real shock to see Strauss waltz down the track and swipe wildly across the line at one in a 4th innings chase.

Peter Fulton, NZ vs Pak, 1st Test 2009 @ Dunedin, 2nd innings. Sometimes "refer it" is a joke, sometimes it becomes very good advice - which only makes it more astonishing that it wasn't followed.

Kevin Pietersen, Eng vs WI, 3rd Test 2007 @ Old Trafford, 2nd innings. Getting out hit wicket off your helmet is different, I'll give him that.

---

Battle 6

Another double here, though I daresay that Mussey's competition is rather strong.

Mike Hussey, Aus vs Eng, 3rd Test 2009 @ Edgbaston, 1st innings. As with Watson's above, leaving your first nut is good - but not when it pitches middle, hits off.

Mike Hussey, Aus vs SA, 1st Test 2011 @ Cape Town, 2nd innings. Given that we were sitting on a massive lead and the guy at the other end was fresh off one of the most insane hundreds in living memory, one wonders what could've been had Hussey not done this straight after tea.

Shane Thompson, NZ vs SA, 3rd Test 1995 @ Cape Town, 2nd innings. It is one of the basics of cricket to get your back foot behind the line - so if you're run out from silly point because you were too busy holding the pose, that's pretty dumb.

Rangana Herath, Eng vs SL, 1st Test 2011 @ Cardiff, 2nd innings. When your wild country mow is the standout dismissal in a ridiculous collapse in a previously dead game, you know you've ****ed up.

---

This one and the next two may run for a bit longer than usual since I'll be at the Sydney Test for days 1+2, but I'll try to roll it over in good time. Two from each.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strauss & Fulton

Hussey (2011) & Herath

If it was "most hilarious" KP would be up there, but (IIRC) it was more his chin-strap's than his own fault.

Spark

Global Moderator
Amazing turnout, eh? Gower and Strauss through in the first, Hussey (2011) and Herath in the second. All had three votes.

---

Battle 7

Ijaz Ahmed, Eng vs Pak, 1st Test Lord's 1996, 1st innings. Has to be seen to be believed, this one. Hard to describe too, other than he seemed to walk in a semi-circular arc around the ball somehow.

Steve Waugh, Aus vs WI, 4th Test Adelaide 1997, 1st innings. Surely one of the worst deliveries (understandable considering it's Chanders) to take a wicket.

Virender Sehwag, Aus vs Ind, 4th Test Adelaide 2012, 2nd innings. How the **** did he not put this rank full toss into the stands?

Shaun Tait. Aus vs Eng, 3rd Test Trent Bridge 2005, 2nd innings. What happened to 'get in line with the ball'?

---

Battle 8

Phil Hughes, Aus vs Eng, 5th Test Sydney 2011, 2nd innings. Not entirely his fault, but still an appalling piece of running from him and Watson.

Ricky Ponting, Aus vs SA, 2nd Test Adelaide 2012, 2nd innings. Definitely not the most dignified dismissal of all time.

AB de Villiers, SA vs Ban, 1st Test Mirpur 2008, 1st innings. Only man I know to have lost his wicket off a ball that bounced twice.

Brendon McCullum, NZ vs SL, 1st Test Galle 2012, 2nd innings. You'd just hit him for six, did you really need to go for it again?

2 from each etc

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Battle 7

Ijaz.

Bit unfair putting Waugh's in. Was a rank ball, yes, but took an unbelievable catch by Hooper (even by his standards).

Battle 8

Hughes.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Virender Sehwag, Aus vs Eng, 4th Test Adelaide 2012, 2nd innings. How the **** did he not put this rank full toss into the stands?
??

I would vote, but I can hardly remember one day from the next - let alone a dismissal in a Test match at some point in the last 30 years. If there were You Tubes of every dismissal - then I'd vote.

However, lock me in for a vote for Athers.