• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness tips from Alec Stewart and Yuvraj Singh

Salamuddin

International Debutant
These are some of the things these two cricketers use to prepare
for a match (done in a single fitness sesion on a day):

1) 500 squats (Alec) (geez, Alec, were u trying to get into the Royal Marines?)
2) 60 push ups (Alec and Yuvraj)
3) 120 situps (Alec) -- I suppose Yuvraj does a fair few.
3) Lift 10 Kg Dumbells (Yuvraj) for about 50 mins
5) Either 30 mins treadmill or 30 mins swim session.

This is by no means exhaustive.

Just wondering, amongst those who play cricket on this board,
what sort of fitness regime do you go through to prepare for a match ?
Is it along the lines of above -- some flexibility exercise, some cardio, some weights etc ?
Or is there one particular exercise that u emphasise ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well now that professionalism is well & truly here...thats what is expected of a player, to be at their peak fitness.

Back in the 1980's, players used to compare how many beer cans they could drink before a match, so things have come a long way :D

iamdavid

International Debutant
Our grade coach (who used to play for Canada & the Comets) makes us do a fitness session on Tuesdays.
We play a game of touch to warm up then we do a few sprints.
Then we gotta do this lovely endurance exercise , where we basically run around the oval for 20 minutes , keeping at a jog , all the while he's hitting us high catches from the middle.
After the 20 minutes is up we go until we an string together 6 catches in a row.
By the time its up some of the plumper & older fellas in the sqaud are basically passing out. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My warm up consists of:

1) a slow walk to the clubhouse.
2) to work on upper body strength I reach to the top level of the fridge to grab the beer, this is extended by putting them in the esky.
3) to work on biceps a can is opened and continually contracted and extracted as drinking occurs. This is repeated several times.
4) distance throwing is then practiced by varying the lenth of throwing cans from place of drinking.
5) obstacle training is then done by trying to get back to the field.

P.S. This is an adapted training ritual from "Boonie's tips for preparing for a match".

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
So I suppose Flintoff's is:
1: Pace outside McDonalds anxiously, waiting for Blackwell to arrive and then eat him...?
:lol: :lol:
Far be it from me to accuse Freddie of being addicted to junk food.

Oh, wait.