Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virender Sehwag

Virender Sehwag

Do you think his recent failures have more to do with away conditions, being injured and shot in confidence or is it something more physical and permanent? Is there a way back for him to be back to reclaim his best opener in the world slot? How do you think he'll fare in the 8 home test matches against Australia and England at home coming up in the recent future? Where do we go now?

Discuss.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Think it's a combination of some very good bowling and worsening footwork.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    More likely the natural decay of his magnificent hand-eye coordination. He's 34 now, and entering the phase of his career where technique and temperament are arguably most important to batting success. Sehwag's never been huge on either.

Still reckon he'll cause some havoc at home over the next couple of years, but I honestly believe his best days are behind him.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

I'd like to say it was the pitches, but a bit of bounce shouldn't make you slap it (off the middle!) through point at head height all the time. That's something a bit more technical, IMO.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I'm going for the lack of physical fitness - not just a coincidence that since he's been getting niggles and injuries he's deteriorated IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I think he may well be in decline but is still more than capable of playing a destructive innings, I just think you will see more and more failures among the fantastic knocks. Age comes to us all and bites us in the ass in the end, Sehwag is no different.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    viruthebest would disagree....
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    Think its a bit of a mental thing along with a decay in his hand-eye co-ordination. Remember an article a few months back in which they showed how sehwag's strike rate has shot through the roof in the last two years while his average has plummeted.
    Could be his natural ability of seeing and striking the ball with minimal footwork is rapidly faltering and he's trying to get into form by hitting out at balls he previously wouldnt, because sehwag in his pomp wouldnt just go after every single ball like a madman

Age is catching up with him and fitness a serious concern as well.

Never seemed to me to be the type to cut down on the samosas or daal bhajis

His weight was more over leg stump, leaning back and not able to control the ball as well as normal, throughout the Australian series. It was technical, for much of the series.

I certainly wouldn't be writing him off yet, but the one player who had similar footwork was Gilchrist, and I think his last few years might be similar.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    sehwag in his pomp wouldnt just go after every single ball like a madman
    Are you calling him senile?

State Vice-Captain
    I don't think he's the smartest bulb in the box contrary to what so many say about his street smarts. His unrefined attitude towards things often results in hilarious situations (plenty of game changing ones too) but it also prevents him from gaining any sort of real introspection into just why things are going belly up. His outrageous failures were easier to ignore in the past when he was playing the odds far more successfully. They do leave a sour taste in the mouth now though.

Why are players, professionals that they are supposed to be, so wary of admitting that things have changed with age and that they have to adopt a more circumspect attitude towards things in the middle, change their MO, etc? When was the last time someone owned up to their ailing game in a candid enough manner?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Touched on this in Section 2.0 of my comprehensive analysis of India's tour to Australia.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Not that simple, though. The greatest players get to where they do by near-infinite self-belief, that's not about to go away with age. So it's a bit tougher for them.

edit: ****mark00 the new howardj

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information