• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender Sehwag

Flem274*

123/5
hahaha, Flem.. I am all for pitches that help seamers now and then as well but 99 plays 94 in the first innings is no one's definition of a good deck or a normal deck. It was a fair dinkum greentop.
No it wasn't ffs. Look at the pitches up there. Just because the batsmen were too **** to handle good bowling on a deck with a bit of movement, it doesn't make it a green top.

It's like saying every subcontinent deck is **** because Ian Bell can't bat on it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol.

Those were greentops. Doesn't mean they were bad pitches, but the low scores and flurry of wickets were definitely not down to **** batting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lol.

Those were greentops. Doesn't mean they were bad pitches, but the low scores and flurry of wickets were definitely not down to **** batting.
The Hamilton pitch was a nightmare surface, batsmen had no chance. The pitch at Wellington was very lively, but as Mark Richardson showed, with a bit of patience and application it was perfectly possible to make runs. Unfortunately, none of the Indian batsmen were really prepared to make such an adjustment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes that is all correct. But that doesn't mean its not a greentop. It just means the Indian batsmen weren't willing/couldn't bat properly on the wicket.

Flem is saying it wasn't a greentop, which is crazy imo. Clearly those wickets were green, everyone acknowledges that. The debate/argument is whether those wickets were bad for cricket.

I don't really see how you can blame NZ anyway. The weather was the main reason they were so green. From what I remember, NZ were apologetic for a lot of the tour because there was not much they could do about it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes that is all correct. But that doesn't mean its not a greentop. It just means the Indian batsmen weren't willing/couldn't bat properly on the wicket.

Flem is saying it wasn't a greentop, which is crazy imo. Clearly those wickets were green, everyone acknowledges that. The debate/argument is whether those wickets were bad for cricket.

I don't really see how you can blame NZ anyway. The weather was the main reason they were so green. From what I remember, NZ were apologetic for a lot of the tour because there was not much they could do about it.
The pitch at Wellington was a day one greentop. By day 3, it had browned off nicely, which made India's collapse in the 2nd innings all the more insipid tbh.

Think pitches like the Wellington surface or great for test cricket. It really ****s me that New Zealand curators are falling over themselves to produce roads nowadays. We're playing at home, and the conditions should suit our strengths (clearly our seam bowling).

Anyway, this has gone waaaaaay off topic.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
he was just dejected and slouched in disappointment. what is legendary is how a lot of non indian fans on here seem to be stalkers of tendulkars every precise movement. So guys tell me, what direction were his farts blowing in that day??? i'm sure one of you guys would have picked up on this information during the video.
:laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No it wasn't ffs. Look at the pitches up there. Just because the batsmen were too **** to handle good bowling on a deck with a bit of movement, it doesn't make it a green top.

It's like saying every subcontinent deck is **** because Ian Bell can't bat on it.
As Joni says, I am not here saying they were bad for the game.. YOu need the greentops and you need the turners.. that is what makes this game great.. A NZ 2003 deserves a Mumbai 2004 and batsmen of this generation deserve both sorts of tracks to bring them a sense of reality otherwise lost in the flat track mayhem.. But those were greentops and that is that.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India Cricket Features: Virender Sehwag's 100th Test: 'Is he bowling or begging?' | ESPN Cricinfo

Sehwagisms. WAG :laugh:

"Yeh bowling kar raha hai ya bheekh maang raha hai? [Is he bowling or begging?]"
To Pakistan close-in fielders after Shoaib Akhtar's continuous sledging, asking Sehwag to hook. Even Shoaib's team-mates couldn't keep from laughing. Multan, 2003-04

"Ball ka ghar hai boundary, wahan usay pahunchao [The ball lives beyond that boundary, keep sending it there]" In an advert series titled "Sehwag Ke Thande Funde" [Sehwag's cool fundas]

"In the dressing room they told me I was hitting the good balls too, but if you look at it my way, I hit only the bad ones." On his 284 not out in less than a day. Brabourne Stadium, 2009-10

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
This is still the best one:

"Jeremy Snape told me a great story about him while we were working together in the Indian Premier League. Sehwag and Snape were batting for Leicestershire against Middlesex when Abdul Razzaq started reverse-swinging the ball in the way that the Pakistan bowlers do. Sehwag came up to Snape and said: 'We must lose this ball. I have a plan.' Next over, he whacked that ball clean out of the ground, forcing the umpires to pick another from the box that would obviously not reverse straight away. To which Sehwag said: 'We are all right for one hour.' Smart, I say."

Shane Warne, in his list of his top 100 cricketers

Satyanash89

Banned
"Where is Dhoni?" "He is taking a break". "Is he fine?" (The questioner wanted to know why he didn't come for the press conference). "He is enjoying himself. He is relaxing in the dressing room."

"What's your thought on the pitch?" "I haven't seen it."

Cue an awkward silence. It was a permanent feature of the conference. At one point, early on during one such period, Sehwag leaned forward and said, "thank you." Some laughed, some remained silent, some looked on quizzically and slowly more questions started to trickle. However, the answers continued to be fired with an impassive face and almost all questions were longer than the replies.
Sehwag's blunt responses are so great... love him for that... dunno if its honesty or stupidity, or both, but i just love it :D