Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 105

Thread: Virender Sehwag

  1. #46
    U19 Debutant Senile Sentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Circus
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Senile Sentry View Post
    England beware. He is hightime due for a big one.
    The "didn't I say so" moment.

  2. #47
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    He is a good enough player to have success at times in conditions he is not entirely comfortable with. He has played enough cricket to score runs on occasions when it is swinging around or seaming about a bit, but his record in England where he averages 27.80, South Africa 25.47, and New Zealand 20.00 suggest he generally finds the going much more difficult, and that isn't surprising with the way he plays. He has had success in Australia to his credit where there's more bounce around, but his record is so impeccable because once he is in in his own comfortable conditions, he cashes in.
    His record in England & New Zealand is a bit misleading - he clearly wasn't fit when picked to play in England in 2011 and averaged a reasonable 40 on his maiden tour there in 2002.

    His failures in NZ in 2009 isn't because of the swinging ball. I'm always amused that people qualify Gambhir's success on that tour as due to the flat wickets and Sehwag's failure as due to the swinging and seaming conditions . So which is it ?

    His other tour to NZ in 2002 was that rather infamous series in which the batsmen on both sides failed.

    I think India's next round of tours in 2013/2014 (to RSA, England, NZ and AUstralia) are gonna be crucial in judging how he is ultimately viewed. .
    He has the innate ability (contrary to what a lot of his detractors think) to score runs on picthes where their is some juice for the seamers - he showed it at Bloiemforntein in 2001 , Trent Bridge 2002 and Chennai 2004). Question is how badly does he want the success ?
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 16-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

    Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

  3. #48
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    NZ 2002 were classical NZ pitches made infamous by Ganguly's incessant whinging. Batsmen with quality defensive techniques like Dravid and Richardson scored runs.

    NZ 2009 was flaaaaaat, and Sehwag failed because he's weird and I think Vettori may have been the one getting him as well, and Vettori loves batsmen who take him on.

    Seriously, 2009 had some of the flattest pitches I've seen in this country. We basically rolled out the red carpet for the Indian batting for whatever reason when we should have produced some green tops to show Ganguly what one was and bring the Indian batting down to our level and make it a battle of the bowlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #49
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

    Seriously, 2009 had some of the flattest pitches I've seen in this country. We basically rolled out the red carpet for the Indian batting for whatever reason when we should have produced some green tops to show Ganguly what one was and bring the Indian batting down to our level and make it a battle of the bowlers.
    dare I say it , but had 2009 been greentops, India probably still would have won given the way Zaheer Khan was bolwing at the time.

    And the Indian side of 2009 was >>>> the one in 2002.


  5. #50
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    NZ 2002 were classical NZ pitches made infamous by Ganguly's incessant whinging. Batsmen with quality defensive techniques like Dravid and Richardson scored runs.
    Considering that NZ have never produced wickets like what they did in the summer of 2002 either before or after - they can hardly be termed "classic" NZ pitches.

  6. #51
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    No doubt, but New Zealanders who weren't Taylor, Ryder or Vettori were going collapse regardless of the pitch conditions. At least on a green top you can dent the Indian batting averages somewhat.

  7. #52
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    Considering that NZ have never produced wickets like what they did in the summer of 2002 either before or after - they can hardly be termed "classic" NZ pitches.
    NZ Test wickets hardly match up the club standard greenery typically on show that our cricketers would have been brought up on.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  8. #53
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    Considering that NZ have never produced wickets like what they did in the summer of 2002 either before or after - they can hardly be termed "classic" NZ pitches.
    ....before 2000 they were pretty standard pitches, and considerably fairer than the domestic pitches at times.

    India just couldn't handle Bond and co. on wickets that had pace and bounce with a bit of sideways movement, so Ganguly cried.

  9. #54
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,489
    And Phlegm is also wrong in his timeframe. Since 2007 our pitches both in Tests and domestic matches have been far flatter than they had been historically. Not 2009.

  10. #55
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    2009 was the worst.

  11. #56
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,489
    You're only saying that because Gambhir batted for 50 days and there was great famine in CD.

  12. #57
    U19 Debutant Senile Sentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Circus
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    ....before 2000 they were pretty standard pitches, and considerably fairer than the domestic pitches at times.

    India just couldn't handle Bond and co. on wickets that had pace and bounce with a bit of sideways movement, so Ganguly cried.
    What explains then NZ's batting average of 20.65 in that series? Fleming & Co. crying against Nehra and Zaheer?
    Last edited by Senile Sentry; 16-11-2012 at 11:40 PM.

  13. #58
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Senile Sentry View Post
    What explains then NZ's batting average of 20.65 in that series? Fleming & Co. crying against Nehra and Zaheer?
    Idiotic post. Yes, it was a seam bowling friendly series, so what? How does that make it any different from an Indian dustbowl series? They didn't cry, they copped their dismissals on the chin and set to bowling India out for less than we scored. Maybe if Ganguly spent as much time practising his batting as he did complaining he would have scored some bloody runs.

  14. #59
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,888
    India could have won that 2002 series if Srinath played the tests.

  15. #60
    U19 Debutant Senile Sentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Circus
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Idiotic post. Yes, it was a seam bowling friendly series, so what? How does that make it any different from an Indian dustbowl series? They didn't cry, they copped their dismissals on the chin and set to bowling India out for less than we scored. Maybe if Ganguly spent as much time practising his batting as he did complaining he would have scored some bloody runs.
    Dude, the fact that the winner of that test series could average just 20 suggests that the pitch and conditions had the final say. Those were never proper test wickets, especially the one at Hamilton, and a bad advert for test cricket.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Who is better bowler in Asia ? Sehwag, Anderson or Broad
    By Anderson1729 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 27-11-2010, 11:55 PM
  3. Dinesh Karthik replaces Sehwag in the T20 WC
    By Shri in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •