• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Spark

Global Moderator
Did you watch the Brisbane Test that year?

Unless your definition of a decent innings is "against the best attack in the world on a raging greentop" then I think you should reconsider that post.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You didn't say "he isn't the best batsman in the world". You implied that you don't currently

Which is borderline laughable. On the wrong side of the line, that is.

I will also note that almost all those batsmen are universally acknowledged as world-class batsmen - which is what Clarke is. A world-class batsman.
Wouldn't say 'all those'

That Clarke is world class is not been in debate.. that Clarke is the next best thing to cricket since The Don is what is at debate and that too based on 2012. I thought Clarke was world class even before 2012. Its just that unlike most..my view has not changed because of 2012.
I can bet many people whose opinions are based on 2012 might have even called for his head at some point

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
New Zealand is considered a quality bowling attack.. in that case I am truly wrong..I must have misread New Zealand's test ranking..
That Gabba wicket was a genuine seamer and O'Brien, Southee and Martin bowled beautifully. Clarke scored 90 odd and anyone who watched the game will realise how difficult the batting conditions were against that NZ attack in that match. I rate it a far better innings than the double hundred he scored this week against a much more heralded bowling attack. It was only one innings though tbf so including it as a series was a little cheeky.

Spark

Global Moderator
Two-match series, tbf. It counts. And besides, I thought we weren't counting Adelaide Test matches any more? :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Two-match series, tbf. It counts. And besides, I thought we weren't counting Adelaide Test matches any more? :ph34r:
He actually scored runs in Adelaide as well IIRC. But the fact that it was a two match series and one of those matches was in Adelaide is precisely why I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's an example of a whole series as such. One innings fits the criteria. To deny it fits the criteria shows a gross ignorance of the innings in question but yeah it's not like the whole series was like that. :p

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That Gabba wicket was a genuine seamer and O'Brien, Southee and Martin bowled beautifully. Clarke scored 90 odd and anyone who watched the game will realise how difficult the batting conditions were against that NZ attack in that match. I rate it a far better innings than the double hundred he scored this week against a much more heralded bowling attack. It was only one innings though tbf so including it as a series was a little cheeky.
Fair enough. I did not watch that match but I do trust you :) I will add that knock to the list of knocks I rate highly.. still not enough to be the best in the world IMO

You know if you look deeply into cricketer's careers, you will find a lot of batsmen who have produced knocks like that.its how often you do them in adverse conditions that differentiates the very best from the very good.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
He actually scored runs in Adelaide as well IIRC. But the fact that it was a two match series and one of those matches was in Adelaide is precisely why I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's an example of a whole series as such. One innings fits the criteria. To deny it fits the criteria shows a gross ignorance of the innings in question but yeah it's not like the whole series was like that. :p
Look, if the powers that be deem it appropriate to call a two-Test series where half the Tests are Adelaide an actual "series", then that's good enough for me :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know he is the toast of CW and Australian cricket at the moment however i feel it is unfair that he is rarely accused of being a home track bully when people are quick to pounce on likes of Mo Yo, Mahela and Sehwag.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Averages over 20 runs more at home then away with an average of under 40 in atleast 4 of the top 8 countries.
5 away tests later the difference between home and away average in now a whopping 23 runs

Infact since becoming captain the record is even more extreme with away average actually going down in the 30's All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think anyone could point to the last five Tests - especially those in India - and say he's especially struggled with the conditions. Struggled with the pressure of being the only competent batsman in the team, maybe.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wasn't bad in India anyways..

As people have mentioned before, the main reasons for the differences in his averages has been the fact that his great run of form has coincided with series played at home. If the trend you're showing goes on for another few years, then you have a valid point, but atm it really isn't the case.