Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You've missed my point completely, but anyway.

I really, really, really struggle to believe that Clarke has a mental issue against spin on the subcontinent. Like, really.
    The mental thing is starting his innings away from home in conditions that offer more swing/seam/turn then Australian pitches. On Australian tracks in general you don't have to worry as much about significant sideways movement. If you watch the way he bats in Australia he generally goes out and plays he shots straight away, which you can do at home in conditions you know like the back of your hand. But away from home when the ball is moving around a bit more, be it seam or turn, you can't always play your shot straight away until you get used the conditions properly.

If you watch he big innings overseas, it has always been when the team in trouble and he has to get his eye in. If he batted like that every time overseas he would score more runs. That is mental/temperament thing not technical issue.

His issue is starting his innings overseas.

There is also a slight technique issue playing spin on turning tracks. His technique against spinners is tailored so much attacking spinners by using your feet to them. You can't always do that when the pitch is turning and he gets caught quite a fair bit.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 16-11-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    There is also a slight technique issue playing spin on turning tracks. His technique against spinners is tailored so much attacking spinners by using your feet to them. You can't always do that when the pitch is turning and he gets caught quite a fair bit.
    Couldn't agree more, that's like the only thing about Clarke I don't like because its so unnecessary and pointless, and a major major reason why he's struggled against IND over the last 2 tours. He keeps on going down the wicket for no reason almost every ball to the spinners, and the commentators would start their routine "oh Clarke such a good player against spin using his feet blah blah" and I'm just sitting there laughing at how risky and unnecessary it is, and eventually he would just get out.

If he would just calm the hell down and not put so much emphasis on coming down the wicket to combat the spinners he would score so much more runs in Indian conditions, because I genuinely do believe he's a good player of spin bowling overall.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Best batsman in the world, and could possibly end up the best #5 in modern cricket at this rate.

His average is skyrocketing every match he plays, now @ 52, and a big chance to notch up his second triple tomorrow.

Amazingly, in a 12 month period, Clarke may have broken the ground records at the SCG, Gabba and Adelaide.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    A Joe Biden-like figure
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Amazing 2012 for him. A triple and 3 doubles? **** me.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by sphynx View Post
    Best batsman in the world, and could possibly end up the best #5 in modern cricket at this rate.

His average is skyrocketing every match he plays, now @ 52, and a big chance to notch up his second triple tomorrow.

Amazingly, in a 12 month period, Clarke may have broken the ground records at the SCG, Gabba and Adelaide.
    He has to improve his away record also, otherwise at this rate he could tough competition to Mahela as best home track bully. 67 at home and 41 away.

Read the thread bro
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Seems to combine the best aspects of the Waugh brothers these days, always been similar to Mark in being pleasing on the eye and now has Steve's steel and determination to bat big and long. Hope this run of form is long gone by the time July arrives.

Michael Clarke's career average now exceeds Punter's - wonder what the odds were on that just one year ago?

Ridiculously brilliant batting this year - 1265 runs @ 140+ WAG

Quote Originally Posted by Trichromatic View Post
    He has to improve his away record also, otherwise at this rate he could tough competition to Mahela as best home track bully. 67 at home and 41 away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Read the thread bro
    Yep Trichromatic there quite a few people that agree with you. But many others that are blinded by his 1/8 good innings and forgot about the other 7/8 average innings away from home.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yep tons in all conditions, getting a century one every five matches overseas. Total home bully.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Yep Trichromatic there quite a few people that agree with you. But many others that are blinded by his 1/8 good innings and forgot about the other 7/8 average innings away from home.
    His purple patch has just coincided with him playing more matches at home, it's as simple as that. In the one series he played away he played one of, if not the best, knock of this year.

You may bring this point up again if he proves to be a poor traveler in the coming years by all means but when we're comparing players as of their current ability and form there is no doubt he's right up there with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yep tons in all conditions, getting a century one every five matches overseas. Total home bully.
    Depends on the criteria...

And it's not like Clarke has been feasting on poor sides either. Most of his runs have come against top 4 sides. And a good chunk of them against South Africa, who have got the best bowling attack in the world right now. Really hope his form continues for the Ashes coming.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Really hope his form continues for the Ashes coming.

England will have tough time he continues his form.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information