Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Answer my br00klyn question in the NBA thread boi.
    Check again.

Answer my br00klyn question in the NBA thread boi.
    Seriously, in every thread?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

State Vice-Captain
    Clarke to make a bunch of ducks for the rest of the Season.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    On the original point in this thread. I personally think he has long way to go to be ATG and main reason is his consistency away from home. It seems most people just see the one big hundred in tough conditions away from home and just think he good away from home. Overall he is pretty average away from home and so far has just pulled occasional good performance, like most so called home track bullies.

Though majority of them have been when the chips are down. Steve Waugh had a similar record at the same stage in his career, only scored runs when the team needed and scored nothing away from home when the top order scored runs.

I think he has a fair bit of work to do on his game to preform consistently away from home, rather then one good innings every blue moon.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Still averages 45-ish away from home, doesn't he, or did until recently? He's hardly struggled overseas.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    What countries has Clarke not made hundreds in? They're hardly once in a blue moon knocks...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

The might of Bangladesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Still averages 45-ish away from home, doesn't he, or did until recently? He's hardly struggled overseas.
    Averages 40 odd, too lazy to work the exact average including natural games.

What countries has Clarke not made hundreds in? They're hardly once in a blue moon knocks...
    Bangladesh is the only country he hasn't got a ton. Averages about a ton every 5 tests away. Which isn't that bad, but it on par with other so called home track bullies.

- Sehwag averages 44 away, 10 hundreds from 52 tests away. Only counties he doesn't have tons is Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and New Zealand.
    - Jayawarene averages 40 away, 9 hundred from 58 tests away. Tons in each country except South Africa.
    - MoYo averages 44 away, 12 hundreds in 57 tests away. Tons in each country except South Africa.

Mike Hussey also has similar inconsistent record away from home. Probably worse then all four players mentioned in this post. But he has scored some notable hundreds away from home and everyone forgets about the other 9 innings in between where he scored very little.

Personally I don't think any of them are home track bully, as average 40 away from home is good effect. But none are ATG due to their inconsistency away from home.

How many of those are away from the subcontinent? That's the actual point here, when people criticise them they criticise them for being poor against seam and bounce. Tests in SL/India are hardly the marker for that. I mean, (sensible) people don't just look at averages and then come to the conclusion that they must be home track bullies. Usually there's an actual technical weakness in their game - ie. against seam, or against spin - that leads to the appellation. Clarke has problems against quality swing/seam, sure, but not that much or he wouldn't have averaged 60+ in the 09 Ashes when the rest of our blokes had no idea what to do when the ball moved more than three inches off the straight. And, well, against spin...

Mussey is a bit of a HTB though.
    Last edited by Spark; 16-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I find it crazy that people are amazed that players have a better record at home than away, and actually have that as a criticism. What do you expect?

As long as the discrepancy isn't to the point where their away record is horrible, which Clarke's is far from, as you noted making a century once every five tests (which I'd expect to get even better over the next couple of years), then it's fine.

Really, Clarke's main problem was that he used to find some really, really stupid ways to get out for no apparent reason. Tempting fate here but he seems to have cut that out now.

Cue him leaving a straight one on off stump on Thursday morning.
    Last edited by Spark; 16-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    How many of those are away from the subcontinent? That's the actual point here, when people criticise them they criticise them for being poor against seam and bounce. Tests in SL/India are hardly the marker for that. I mean, (sensible) people don't just look at averages and then come to the conclusion that they must be home track bullies. Usually there's an actual technical weakness in their game - ie. against seam, or against spin - that leads to the appellation. Clarke has problems against quality swing/seam, sure, but not that much or he wouldn't have averaged 60+ in the 09 Ashes when the rest of our blokes had no idea what to do when the ball moved more than three inches off the straight. And, well, against spin...

Mussey is a bit of a HTB though.
    Jayawardene and Sehwag are 35 away from SC. Both were getting close to 40 mark before last season and went back down hill. MoYo is an impressive 45 away from SC. There are difference between pitches in Sri Lanka, compared to India or Pakistan. Those difference are one of reason why MoYo has poor records in Sri Lanka and India compared to Pakistan. Those difference might not be massive. But it also very naive to just say the runs in other SC countries don't count because they are similar pitches.

It like saying the runs Clarke scored in New Zealand, South Africa, England and West Indies don't count as similar pitches compared to SC pitches in general. If Clarke's only away matches were SC pitches then his average would also be in the mid 30s.

I don't think Clarke has any major technique issues, it just a mental thing like MoYo away from home. Jayawardene and Sehwag sorted out their technique issues during the peak of their careers, but they came back at the later stages of their careers.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 16-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

You've missed my point completely, but anyway.

I really, really, really struggle to believe that Clarke has a mental issue against spin on the subcontinent. Like, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Yeah that.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information