• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People underrating Devilliers in this thread. The guy is an out-and-out gun. Averaging 63.90 since the start of 2010 and was ranked #1 in the world alongside Clarke only a few months ago.

I'd still take Clarke I reckon, but its not ridiculous to put AB in the same category.
ABDV has suddenly dropped off the radar as he had a quiet series in England. The reason for this is he is keeping. Fortunately for SA they are a talented team and can still cope with the drop off of a quality player like ABDV. Although he wasn't in the same class as a batsman Alec Stewart was sacrificed for many years to provide "Balance" to the side and his record suffered as a result.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Doing what AB is doing right now ain't easy, to state the obvious.

Also re: PEWS, totally agree. Chanderpaul and Sanga are monsters but are often forgotten in threads like this in favour of *insert player from Ind/SA/Aus/Eng*

I do think you can make an argument for Clarke best in the world. But you can also do so for Kallis, Amla, AB, Sanga and Chanders.

Top_Cat

Yeh, decent shout, Clarke showing the way in terms of WAGs; instead of growing up and settling down with a homely type, went several categories higher after Bingle. The Bradman of the pull.

morgieb

someone do a current world XI thread.
I would probs pick....

1. Cook
2. Amla
3. Sangakkara
4. Kallis
5. Clarke
6. Chanderpaul/de Villiers
7. Prior
8. Swann (sigh)
9. Philander
10. Steyn
11. Anderson

IMO. Could change I guess.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would probs pick....

1. Cook
2. Amla
3. Sangakkara
4. Kallis
5. Clarke
6. Chanderpaul/de Villiers
7. Prior
8. Swann (sigh)
9. Philander
10. Steyn
11. Anderson

IMO. Could change I guess.
Ajmal instead of Swann for me!

Would have Chanderpaul any day over de Villiers.

Burgey

ABDV has suddenly dropped off the radar as he had a quiet series in England. The reason for this is he is keeping. Fortunately for SA they are a talented team and can still cope with the drop off of a quality player like ABDV. Although he wasn't in the same class as a batsman Alec Stewart was sacrificed for many years to provide "Balance" to the side and his record suffered as a result.
Alec Stewart was one of those "what if?" players imo. England had a fine keeper available in Russell, and I think their efforts to "balance" the side actually did them a disservice, as they compromised Stewart who could have been a gun, and often played a dud middle order bloke instead of Russell who was always nuisance value at worst with the bat.

Top_Cat

Agree with that. So many of his great knocks came as an opener and why the ECB wanted to **** with was beyond me at the time and remains so.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Stewart would have been a great opener if they'd left him there. Was as good a player of pace as anyone in his era. Making him keep and batting him down the order at 5 or 6 was a massive mistake, and they largely did it so they could play mediocre all rounders at 7.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Stewart would have been a great opener if they'd left him there. Was as good a player of pace as anyone in his era. Making him keep and batting him down the order at 5 or 6 was a massive mistake, and they largely did it so they could play mediocre all rounders at 7.
I agree with this!

sphynx

U19 Debutant
To the OP:

Surely you can see the difference between being a home track bully as an Australian, opposed to a flat track bully as an Indian?

Australia still produces green tops, fast decks, and spinning ones.

Have a look at the thing India and England are currently playing on, it's a disgracefully flat pitch, the ball struggles to get above stump height........

flibbertyjibber

Alec Stewart was one of those "what if?" players imo. England had a fine keeper available in Russell, and I think their efforts to "balance" the side actually did them a disservice, as they compromised Stewart who could have been a gun, and often played a dud middle order bloke instead of Russell who was always nuisance value at worst with the bat.
Totally agree, the other one was Bicknell. He made his debut in 93 when you lot gubbed us and was discarded for 10 years then came back and help beat SA on his own to level a series. If only he had been used as 3rd seamer behind Gough/Caddick we would have been a much better side through the 90's. Wouldn't have been anywhere near the Aussie level but better than the shambles we were at least.