• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yes he's summed it up well. Clarke could never completely win the Australian public over no matter what he did. Baffling really.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
South Africa were up next, and it was in Cape Town that Clarke did his best work. Australia were 1-1 in their three-Test series. Australia won the toss and batted. The Australia batsmen had failed twice in the previous match, only Warner had looked comfortable. And Morne Morkel was fired up.

In the 41st over Morkel started bowling short to Clarke. That over, he hit Clarke in the ribs. In the 43rd over he hit him on the arm. The 45th over he hit him on the head, hand and in the gut. The hit on the arm broke Clarke's arm. That was an hour into Clarke's innings. In all, with that broken arm, Clarke made an unbeaten 161 in 430 minutes. Well over 300 of them with that break. He carried a tired team to a Test win, a series win, and they beat the world's No. 1 team to take that crown themselves.
Love this from Kimber's article. Anyone who thinks Clarke (or any other test batsman really) is soft can GAGF.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
yes he's summed it up well. Clarke could never completely win the Australian public over no matter what he did. Baffling really.
Not really. He was seen as a pretty boy, there's always going to be a backlash against someone like that from the bogan public.

I never really liked him, didn't rate him for a long time and hated watching him bat (the way he drives so far away from his body ****s me) but I have grown a lot of respect for him as a player and a person. Should run for PM.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not really. He was seen as a pretty boy, there's always going to be a backlash against someone like that from the bogan public.
Yeah I get that (and the article deals with that), but then he:
- tells Jimmy Anderson to get ready for a broken ****ng arm
- wins the Ashes 5-0
- scores a ton vs. SA in SA with a broken arm himself.

Plenty of **** bogans love in there.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke was a lot like ponting for me personally in many ways. Hated him as a person, because honestly for a long time he was a ****, but begrudgingly respected him because of his terrifyingly good peak as a batsman and because he did become more likeable (but still a bit of a ****) as his career went on.

Red

Watson's a bit like that too. Hated the petulant flog for ages, but lately when I hear him interviewed I really like him and he seems like a really nice, decent guy. Maturity does that.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the Aussie greats for sure. The article was stupendous, but could have done with stories of people who have had his back through it all.

On a side note, is it just me or does it not feel like Australia won the World Cup as such?

Red

On a side note, is it just me or does it not feel like Australia won the World Cup as such?
Seems to be serious doom and gloom around Aust cricket when in reality we've just dropped one test (albeit pretty dramatically).

I actually don't think the deficiencies in our batting stocks are completely dire tbh.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to be serious doom and gloom around Aust cricket when in reality we've just dropped one test (albeit pretty dramatically).

I actually don't think the deficiencies in our batting stocks are completely dire tbh.
It's not about that. I have been feeling it since basically the month after they won it. It didn't feel like there was a new World Cup winner. Maybe just me and #Won'tGiveItBack blues

Zinzan

One of the Aussie greats for sure. The article was stupendous, but could have done with stories of people who have had his back through it all.

Very fine cricketer without any doubt. But one of Australia greats? I'm not so sure; depends how one defines 'greats'. He certainly wouldn't make my Australian 1st or 2nd all-time XI & might even struggle to make my 3rd.

Middle order (no.s 3-6) Aust batsmen I rate above him off the top of my head are;

N Harvey
G Chappell
Bradman
Ponting
Border
S Waugh
S McCabe
D Walters

Zinzan

It's not about that. I have been feeling it since basically the month after they won it. It didn't feel like there was a new World Cup winner. Maybe just me and #Won'tGiveItBack blues
Jeez, from a NZ POV, I certainly felt there was. :ph34r:

OverratedSanity

Very fine cricketer without any doubt. But one of Australia greats? I'm not so sure; depends how one defines 'greats'. He certainly wouldn't make my Australian 1st or 2nd all-time XI & might even struggle to make my 3rd.
Uh that's just because Australia has produced more greats than anyone... holding that against Clarke is silly. He's definitely a great player by almost any definition imo.

Zinzan

Uh that's just because Australia has produced more greats than anyone... holding that against Clarke is silly. He's definitely a great player by almost any definition imo.
Not at all, It depends entirely on the definition of 'greats' that one uses. If someone defines Australian 'all-time greats" as say the top 20 Aust cricketers of all-time, he may just struggle to make that list. But If someone includes 30-40 players, then he'd likely make it.

This reminds me, I've been meaning to create a poll asking this very question, on the approximately number of players people refer to when talking about their 'all-time' great cricketers, and whether that's their 11 top cricketers, 20 or even 50.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think it should be limited to numbers (such as your top 20 example) because as years go by players who were once in the top 20 players for Aus of all time, but then fall out because new great players come, don't become any less great.

Spikey

Middle order (no.s 3-6) Aust batsmen I rate above him off the top of my head are;

N Harvey
G Chappell
Bradman
Ponting
Border
S Waugh
S McCabe
D Walters
dont see how clarke isn't right in with mccabe and walters, if not better tbh