• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Camo999

State 12th Man
Wow so he's retired. Last test at the Oval.

Reckon he could've regained form and played for a couple more seasons. Good on him though. A great player and fantastic skipper. In hindsight the likes of Waugh, Hayden, Ponting etc prob went on too long.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:(

Is Sanga the only absolute world class bat of the last 20 years who has retired whilst still being very very good? I know Kallis scored a ton in his last test but he wasn't close to what he was.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Is Sanga the only absolute world class bat of the last 20 years who has retired whilst still being very very good? I know Kallis scored a ton in his last test but he wasn't close to what he was.
Waugh averaged 80 in his final year. Though granted we largely played **** attacks that year and he had a pretty poor 15 months beforehand.

Dravid had one bad series then went - before that he was as good as ever - that England series is one of the best individual ones of all-time, IMO.

Lara was still playing well when he retired IIRC.

flibbertyjibber

Hussey? Though would he count as world class?

KP would have you believe he was dumped when he was still world class.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Waugh averaged 80 in his final year. Though granted we largely played **** attacks that year and he had a pretty poor 15 months beforehand.

Dravid had one bad series then went - before that he was as good as ever - that England series is one of the best individual ones of all-time, IMO.

Lara was still playing well when he retired IIRC.
Dravid was gone though, that was obvious.

Waugh as in Steve Waugh? He was definitely not that good anymore imo.

LAra good shout.

91Jmay

International Coach
Great player, very good captain (especially on a flat pitch) and likable man. Privileged to watch him at Edgbaston on a few occasions.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Averages about 60 in Aus and under 40 away. Definitely a hometrack bully, but a fine player.
I still remember when he didn't mention/congratulate Doug Bracewell or NZ when we beat them in Hobart.

91Jmay

International Coach
yep, there's no doubt Ind, Eng and Aust players get an advantage in terms being rated due to exposure and media coverae.
They also play a lot more matches though, and the grind on them has to be taken into account. I remember the ridiculous amount of days away from home India had spent at one stage a few years ago and the intensity that causes.

TheJediBrah

yep, there's no doubt Ind, Eng and Aust players get an advantage in terms being rated due to exposure and media coverae.
Aus, Eng etc. tend to play higher profile games in general too, against higher quality opposition, more often. I know for example that Australia have played just 4 test matches against Bangladesh and 3 (?) against Zimbabwe in the history of test cricket, whereas Sri Lanka/West Indies etc. have played quite a lot against those guys.

Hussey

Edit:

Hussey? Though would he count as world class?
Just as much as anyone in the last 20 years

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First person to retire where I was watching cricket before they debuted. Starting to feel old

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great player indeed.. Hope he has a great time post retirement, I wonder if some IPL franchise will think he is a good buy now...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has retired only from international cricket, if I am not wrong. AT 34, I am sure he still has 3 or 4 years of franchise T20 cricket ahead of him, around the world. :)

He has retired only from international cricket, if I am not wrong. AT 34, I am sure he still has 3 or 4 years of franchise T20 cricket ahead of him, around the world. :)
He'd have to start finding the boundary far more often. He has a terrible T20 record. No way he makes the IPL auction without major runs in the BBL this summer.

Last edited:
The back is only a big problem facing short stuff, and there'll be less of that in T20
You been watching T20 recently?

Every second or third ball is short. They even bowl slower ball bouncers now.

The yorker bowlers (Malinga type) have become more rare than the bouncer bowlers.

Last edited: