• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanga, Yk,AB,Amla are ahead of Clarke imo.Kp, Clarke and Cook fall in the next tier maybe you can lump Hussey with them aswell.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I love Younis, but tbh he bores me. Clarke is so much more magical when he gets going and that's why I will rate him higher. Would prefer Younis is my team, but would rather watch Clarke and will remember Clarke more fondly.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So you are questioning whether Younis knows the UAE ground better than any other test players? He has as much knowledge of those conditions as any player in history of the game. If that is your definition of home advantage then a handful of players ever get that. Mark Wood had never played at Cardiff before the Ashes series in a first class game. Would that not count as 'home advantage' for him then no matter what pitches are like?
That's just one ground. Are you telling me Wood has not played first class cricket all his life in England? Where did he play those 100 games in? Look, there's no stat for this but if you listen to what players themselves have to say, in interviews, press conferences, autobiographies, you will know what I mean. Even with Rogers, people keep saying how he has played so much first class cricket in England, he is almost a local and that shows in his success in the last two Ashes here where almost everyone else failed.

I am not saying UAE is 'away' for YK. It is treated as a home series and Pak gets to decide what kind of pitch they want. If you want to consider that as equal to Clarke getting home advantage in Australia, that is also fine with me. But even with that YK has the better record.

Overseas batsmen in India and Sri Lanka since 2000

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Just a final word on the Zim/Bang thing, Pak lost a test match in Zimbabwe in 2013. It was 1-1 and YK scored a match winning hundred in the first test. If he didn't, Pak would have lost 0-2. If your contribution is the difference between you winning/losing a test match, I don't care what CW or Cricinfo or the entire cricket fraternity says about this, those runs are important.

Last edited:
That's just one ground. Are you telling me Wood has not played first class cricket all his life in England? Where did he play those 100 games in? Look, there's no stat for this but if you listen to what players themselves have to say, in interviews, press conferences, autobiographies, you will know what I mean. Even with Rogers, people keep saying how he has played so much first class cricket in England, he is almost a local and that shows in his success in the last two Ashes here where almost everyone else failed.

I am not saying UAE is 'away' for YK. It is treated as a home series and Pak gets to decide what kind of pitch they want. If you want to consider that as equal to Clarke getting home advantage in Australia, that is also fine with me. But even with that YK has the better record.
Cricinfo treats UAE matches as "neutral" as opposed to "home" or "away". I think that is a fair assessment.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How does Clarke from 2013 onwards compare to Ponting from 2010-2012?

And Ponting was given an opportunity to play as a batsman. Is that an option for Clarke? What do you guys think?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why the **** would Clarke play as a batsman only when he's comfortably the best captain in the team, and, if anything, his batting got better​ once he was made captain?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I love Younis, but tbh he bores me. Clarke is so much more magical when he gets going and that's why I will rate him higher. Would prefer Younis is my team, but would rather watch Clarke and will remember Clarke more fondly.
Gayle excites me more then half of ATG does not mean I will start rating him above them.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah but what we are arguing whose the better bat and not whose the more exciting bat. Ofcourse batsmen who can combine the two aspects (AB, Young Sachin, Lara) will always be placed at a level higher.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah but what we are arguing whose the better bat and not whose the more exciting bat. Ofcourse batsmen who can combine the two aspects (AB, Young Sachin, Lara) will always be placed at a level higher.
:furious: Sachin 2009-11 was crazy good ****

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And this is what I meant when I had said that Clarke is rated a bit too highly than his ability. YK has more runs, more centuries, higher average than Clarke in less number of games. YK does not play at home since 2009, and if we look at trends in test cricket over the last 5 years, home advantage can make the difference between 5-0 and getting 60 all out, not mention YK's ridiculous fourth innings average, and having to bat almost every time at 10/2.

Yet ask majority of people on this forum, Clarke would be rated higher than YK...in fact if asked to name top 5 batsmen, some might even forget YK.
That's not because Clarke is overrated. Its because Younis is underrated.

91Jmay

International Coach

Overseas batsmen in India and Sri Lanka since 2000

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Just a final word on the Zim/Bang thing, Pak lost a test match in Zimbabwe in 2013. It was 1-1 and YK scored a match winning hundred in the first test. If he didn't, Pak would have lost 0-2. If your contribution is the difference between you winning/losing a test match, I don't care what CW or Cricinfo or the entire cricket fraternity says about this, those runs are important.
Mark Wood has played 28 first class games In England. Younis has played 23 first class games in UAE, I ask again is he not having home conditions then?

They were important runs but they were also against blokes who are same standard as club cricketers.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not because Clarke is overrated. Its because Younis is underrated.
I don't think its so much about Younis/Clarke individually but more to do with the games, runs, and records involving Australia, India and England considered more 'important' as opposed to games involving others, which is why I brought up that India series in 2011-12. YK has taken the Indian bowlers to the cleaners too and that too in India but no one remembers that. Everyone remembers 2011-12

So most of the time people are not even aware of what's going on involving these other lesser teams. It's one of the reasons why Mark Nicholas did not know Misbah had retired from ODI cricket,or Healy has to refer to Pakistani fielders as 'that guy on the left, that bloke on the right at fine leg'

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Wood has played 28 first class games In England. Younis has played 23 first class games in UAE, I ask again is he not having home conditions then?

They were important runs but they were also against blokes who are same standard as club cricketers.
You made the point yourself. YK is 37 and a veteran of 100 tests, and still he has less first class games in his 'home'

Are you calling Indian and Sri Lankan players club cricketers?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Maybe. But this is a classic case of you thinking a player is underappreciated so you're potting another player. Clarke has been very very good and played some amazing innings in his career. He's been a deadset gun. We should be sad to see a batsman no longer be as good as him, rather than stick the boot in to a block with a stuffed up back near the end of his career.

And I don't even like Clarke that m

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not what I said actually. I said he is one of the top 10 batsmen of his generation irrespective of current Ashes, that's far from sticking the boot which a lot of other people are doing solely based on current Ashes.