• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hate to knock a guy when he is down but writing is on the wall for Clarkey the gap between his home and away average continues to rise his stats now look eerily similar to Mo yo and Mahela the two most maligned batsmen on CW.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Even watching him move between wickets, it's just not there body-wise. He can't push through his front knee at all.

Interesting that maybe that extra innings for Phil Hughes could have ended up finishing his career.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's really sad to see his dismissals in this series. I always felt that he wasn't as great as he was made out to be in 11-12 when he was milking the Indian bowling attack for triple centuries, nor is he as bad as his away records and recent stats suggest.

What was disappointing today though, was his shot selection. A same Clarke in 2009 fought it out in a losing game in the fourth innings for a brilliant 136. This time it appeared he knew he wouldn't last, so might as well chase that.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hate to knock a guy when he is down but writing is on the wall for Clarkey the gap between his home and away average continues to rise his stats now look eerily similar to Mo yo and Mahela the two most maligned batsmen on CW.
lol what about Shane Watson?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didn't the Australian coach (or someone in the staff) mention the other day that Clarke's poor run of late has to do with his form and not his back? I realise there's bound to be a fair deal of cause and effect, but he seemed pretty convinced of his opinion.

Howe_zat

Audio File
lol what about Shane Watson?
I think Xuhaib means 'maligned for this reason', i.e. home town hero

Don't really think it's true for any of them. Mahela at a stretch, maybe. But Clarke's record mostly shows that a good score is typically higher in Australia.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's really sad to see his dismissals in this series. I always felt that he wasn't as great as he was made out to be in 11-12 when he was milking the Indian bowling attack for triple centuries, nor is he as bad as his away records and recent stats suggest.

What was disappointing today though, was his shot selection. A same Clarke in 2009 fought it out in a losing game in the fourth innings for a brilliant 136. This time it appeared he knew he wouldn't last, so might as well chase that.
Nah 2011-12 Clarke was insane. He also ripped Steyn, Philander and Morkel to pieces that summer. Home and away.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Can hardly come out and say his back is knackered and he is struggling with it though can he.
If he's got the interests of the Australian team at heart he should tough. If it's really all down to his back and the coaching staff refuses to acknowledge it, that's troubling.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can hardly come out and say his back is knackered and he is struggling with it though can he.
Yup, that's what I reckon. I reckon he's picking the ball up OK, his head is going where he wants it to but his lower half isn't helping him out. Back, hips, hamstrings - I reckon that's where the issues are.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

you can't be that good consistently. he had a peak, no diff to other very good bats.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How about when he made Steyn look like a club bowler?

OverratedSanity

Will never forget those 5 fours in one Morkel over. Peak Clarke.
Yeah that was incredible. Just owned SA completely that day.

My favourite shot of his was probably a straight drive he hit off Steyn in that 151 at Capetown. It was a big outswinger pitching on middle and moving away sharply. He just planted his foot down and destroyed it straight past Steyn. Was unbelievable.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How about when he made Steyn look like a club bowler?
How about when Nayan Mongia made Shane Warne look like a club spinner?

How about when Ijaz Ahmed made McGrath look like a club bowler?

I love it when people use isolated incidents to make a point. The nature of sport is such that there will be days when you will make the greatest bowler look silly and there will be days when an 'unselectable' Finn will make you look silly. It happens to everyone if you play long enough. Every cricketer would have faced one or two incidents like that, both positive and negative. That's all there is to it, nothing more, nothing less.

Clarke will be considered a great batsman because of 8000 plus test runs and his overall career.

My point was specifically about a purple patch Clarke had in 11-12 when on this very forum he was in my view, given a bit more credit than he was perhaps due. Perhaps that is less to do with Clarke, more to do with him being from Australia and we have more fans from there on this forum.

OverratedSanity

How about when Nayan Mongia made Shane Warne look like a club spinner?

How about when Ijaz Ahmed made McGrath look like a club bowler?

I love it when people use isolated incidents to make a point. The nature of sport is such that there will be days when you will make the greatest bowler look silly and there will be days when an 'unselectable' Finn will make you look silly. It happens to everyone if you play long enough. Every cricketer would have faced one or two incidents like that, both positive and negative. That's all there is to it, nothing more, nothing less.

Clarke will be considered a great batsman because of 8000 plus test runs and his overall career.

My point was specifically about a purple patch Clarke had in 11-12 when on this very forum he was in my view, given a bit more credit than he was perhaps due. Perhaps that is less to do with Clarke, more to do with him being from Australia and we have more fans from there on this forum.
Hm, get where you're coming from. But you have to remember in 2011-12, it was pretty much unanimous that Clarke was the best in the world. He smashed around everyone, not just India like you insinuated. No one expected that to continue but I doubt anyone expected a dropoff this sharp. Even with Ponting and Tendulkar, they never quite reached tailender levels of awful. They just become below par, not utter ****e like Clarke has become. I doubt even you thought Clarke's decline would be this sharp.