Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I mean ****, how hard is it to please people these days?

Back to back 200's, following a 150 on a pitch rated an 8.4 on the official pitch rating scale, against the universally acknowledged best pace attack on the planet, and he's still not decent enough against pace bowling.
    Yep..to be the best batsman in the world is meant to be hard..

This man is the best batsman in the world at the moment in my view because he of

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Leeds, Aug 2-6, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval, Sep 8-12, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide, Dec 1-5, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Eng 58/0 (9.4 ov, NRD Compton 30*, AN Cook 18*, R Ashwin 0/22) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Clarke has centuries I rate highly such as

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town, Nov 9-11, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's, Jul 16-20, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

1st Test: India v Australia at Bangalore, Oct 6-10, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

but not enough to be the best batsman at the moment..

Now I understand people's views on him..Clarke is not the first player to be going through a purple patch..Sangakkara, Mohammad Yousuf, Rahul Dravid, Ian Bell, Hussey, Trott, Sehwag have all gone through similar purple patches and have all been hailed as the next Bradman at different points (in the case of Sehwag, by none other than Sir Ian Chappell)...all it takes is a few bad innings when the same people call for their heads. Lot of people are pointing out how Clarke averages more than Ponting now..that very fact should tell you something..Ponting himself was considered superior to Lara and Tendulkar at one point..this is the way it works..

As I said, I am not writing off Clarke at all..all I am saying is in my view, he hasn't done enough to be considered the best batsman in the world..if he performs in the Ashes the way he butchered poor Ashwin and Vinay Kumar, I will be the first one to acknowledge that.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 26-11-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    It did in Baulkham Hills.

I was thinking about washing my good pants but I decided not to because it looked a bit overcast outside and I didn't want to put them on the line. Sure enough, it rained about an hour later.

Because I was right about that, I'm surely right about this too. Isn't that how it works?
    But you were only right within a certain context..in the context of Baulkham Hills..not Epping..you have to broaden your vision a little bit...

You didn't say "he isn't the best batsman in the world". You implied that you don't currently

acknowledge him one of the top batsmen in the world now.
    Which is borderline laughable. On the wrong side of the line, that is.

I will also note that almost all those batsmen are universally acknowledged as world-class batsmen - which is what Clarke is. A world-class batsman.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Not paid close attention to his career?

NZ 08/9
    SA 08/9
    Ashes 09

New Zealand is considered a quality bowling attack.. in that case I am truly wrong..I must have misread New Zealand's test ranking..

But he backed away against Shoaib Akhtar in 2005 something something 2005 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Nah, looked a bit leg sideish in a delivery against Akhtar 7 years ago - cancels them out.
    Mah mistake
    Yepp..I thought Australia must have promoted McGrath or Kasprowics to bat at 6 for some reason..until I saw the scorecard...

Did you watch the Brisbane Test that year?

Unless your definition of a decent innings is "against the best attack in the world on a raging greentop" then I think you should reconsider that post.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Good for a laugh.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

You didn't say "he isn't the best batsman in the world". You implied that you don't currently

Which is borderline laughable. On the wrong side of the line, that is.

I will also note that almost all those batsmen are universally acknowledged as world-class batsmen - which is what Clarke is. A world-class batsman.
    Wouldn't say 'all those'

That Clarke is world class is not been in debate.. that Clarke is the next best thing to cricket since The Don is what is at debate and that too based on 2012. I thought Clarke was world class even before 2012. Its just that unlike most..my view has not changed because of 2012.
    I can bet many people whose opinions are based on 2012 might have even called for his head at some point
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 26-11-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    New Zealand is considered a quality bowling attack.. in that case I am truly wrong..I must have misread New Zealand's test ranking..
    That Gabba wicket was a genuine seamer and O'Brien, Southee and Martin bowled beautifully. Clarke scored 90 odd and anyone who watched the game will realise how difficult the batting conditions were against that NZ attack in that match. I rate it a far better innings than the double hundred he scored this week against a much more heralded bowling attack. It was only one innings though tbf so including it as a series was a little cheeky.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Two-match series, tbf. It counts. And besides, I thought we weren't counting Adelaide Test matches any more?

Two-match series, tbf. It counts. And besides, I thought we weren't counting Adelaide Test matches any more?
    He actually scored runs in Adelaide as well IIRC. But the fact that it was a two match series and one of those matches was in Adelaide is precisely why I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's an example of a whole series as such. One innings fits the criteria. To deny it fits the criteria shows a gross ignorance of the innings in question but yeah it's not like the whole series was like that.

That Gabba wicket was a genuine seamer and O'Brien, Southee and Martin bowled beautifully. Clarke scored 90 odd and anyone who watched the game will realise how difficult the batting conditions were against that NZ attack in that match. I rate it a far better innings than the double hundred he scored this week against a much more heralded bowling attack. It was only one innings though tbf so including it as a series was a little cheeky.
    Fair enough. I did not watch that match but I do trust you I will add that knock to the list of knocks I rate highly.. still not enough to be the best in the world IMO

You know if you look deeply into cricketer's careers, you will find a lot of batsmen who have produced knocks like that.its how often you do them in adverse conditions that differentiates the very best from the very good.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 26-11-2012 at 04:45 AM.

He actually scored runs in Adelaide as well IIRC. But the fact that it was a two match series and one of those matches was in Adelaide is precisely why I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's an example of a whole series as such. One innings fits the criteria. To deny it fits the criteria shows a gross ignorance of the innings in question but yeah it's not like the whole series was like that.
    Look, if the powers that be deem it appropriate to call a two-Test series where half the Tests are Adelaide an actual "series", then that's good enough for me

$10 that pews does not own a pair of good pants
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i have it on good account he wears cut offs all the frickin time
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information