• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

BeeGee

International Captain
So the Younis Khan thread and the Michael Clarke thread have both turned into discussions about Indian bowlers.

The ****ing BCCI is behind this, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Clarke has always struck me as someone likely to end up with an average in the mid forties who just happened to have an insanely good purple patch for a couple years.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Some of the home vs away difference could just be that touring makes managing his back problem harder. I hope he still has some of his best left because it's great to watch and we need it.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Whether he likes it or not, he should have stepped up and batted at three.
Maxwell is not there yet as a Test player, yet alone a number three. It may not be Clarke's preferred position but as a fill-in while Watson is absent, he should really be batting there.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'd rather TPC at 3 if someone has to be promoted. Better form recently and Clarke doesn't bat better at 3. Would have worked in UAE but I have reservations about either for a home series.

Is it time to put Clarke back at 5 and have Smith at 4? If his back is getting worse then that might be the best bet to get the best out of him.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it time to put Clarke back at 5 and have Smith at 4? If his back is getting worse then that might be the best bet to get the best out of him.
Definitely imo. Get Clarke in where he would make the most runs. Period. Smith can handle number 4, he is a champ.

the big bambino

International Captain
Highlights of his dismissals in UAE made you wonder if his back problem is winning and if so is he better of retiring now? Can't really agree with the argument that proposes he stay on until the next ashes if his form is conditional on an ailment that's getting worse. If that is the reason he's not scoring runs then its predictive of failure in England.

Neither was Clarke always a natural player of short pitched bowling. I remember him being sorted by Shaoib and being bounced out on an Indian wicket by an out of form Sharma. To his credit he admitted the problem, obviously worked on it and became a great player. For the first time I've started to think he can't physically take it any longer. So I'm interested in the coming home series to see if the suspicion is confirmed. If it is it might be time to go then. As an aside its a funny thing some would've had Clarke at 3 while knowing his back would eventually restrict his movement against the new ball when the fast bowlers are at their angriest.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
he might be better off, but he won't. there's no way he isn't going to england, so that's the first realistic point at which he could retire.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah its just the article made a good argument why he shouldn't go in the 1st place but Clarke's is an extraordinary circumstance.

Spark

Global Moderator
You do wonder what might have been had he had a functioning back.

Might have even been a decent all-rounder, given his early spin-bowling prowess :ph34r:

harsh.ag

Highlights of his dismissals in UAE made you wonder if his back problem is winning and if so is he better of retiring now? Can't really agree with the argument that proposes he stay on until the next ashes if his form is conditional on an ailment that's getting worse. If that is the reason he's not scoring runs then its predictive of failure in England.

Neither was Clarke always a natural player of short pitched bowling. I remember him being sorted by Shaoib and being bounced out on an Indian wicket by an out of form Sharma. To his credit he admitted the problem, obviously worked on it and became a great player. For the first time I've started to think he can't physically take it any longer. So I'm interested in the coming home series to see if the suspicion is confirmed. If it is it might be time to go then. As an aside its a funny thing some would've had Clarke at 3 while knowing his back would eventually restrict his movement against the new ball when the fast bowlers are at their angriest.
Yeah, Clarke at 3 never made sense. He has always been more of a Mark Waugh than a Ricky Ponting. Where Clarke really comes into his own, for some reason, is with an attacking partner at the other end. His best came in the company of Ponting and Hussey.

Also, the post needs less of redundant phrases like "out of form Sharma".

the big bambino

International Captain
Some of our most decent left arm finger spinners have been batsmen - Clarke, Border, Inverarity. Sorry scratch Inverarity as I did say batsmen.

harsh.ag

You do wonder what might have been had he had a functioning back.

Might have even been a decent all-rounder, given his early spin-bowling prowess :ph34r:
TPC's debut would have been pushed back by 5 years. So, all in all, the bad back a blessing in disguise.