• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So far, no real surprises...

-
-
- George Headley
- Brian Lara
- Viv Richards
- Garry Sobers
-
- Malcolm Marshall
- Michael Holding
- Curtly Ambrose
- Joel Garner

Keeper next. Should be a little easier (to tally)!

Pick ONE (or another legit choice) of the following as keeper.

Clyde Walcott

Jackie Hendriks

Jeff Dujon

Deryck Murray

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Clyde Walcott

His keeping got him into the team and kept him his place when he was struggling with the bat. Also keeping to this lot will be a hell of a lot easier than standing up to Ramadin and Valentine. All this combined with the fact that he was the next best West Indian batsman after the ones selected makes this one a no brainer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Walcott

Still averaged 40+ during his early career as a keeper, even if he wasn't quite the batting master that he would become later on.

watson

Banned
Jeff Dujon averaged 31.94 and scored 5 centuries. That's plenty good for a No.7.

He also has an unblemished record that lasts for about a decade while keeping to Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, and Garner - the 4 bowlers we recently selected.

Dynamic and agile - Dujon in a cake-walk.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I would probably go for Hendriks if a spinner was selected but Dujon it is for this attack. I would love to vote for Walcott but batting is already strong with Headley, Lara, Richards, Sobers.

Slifer

International Captain
TBH Walcott. Good enough keeper and can certainly usehis extra batting especially vs the likes of Oz.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Only reason Walcott stopped keeping was because of a back injury. The purpose of this exercise is to pick the strongest side to take on Aus/S.A. ect, and Walcott gives us that. Top 6 W.I. batsman and very good under rated keeper.
Spoke to three people who saw him keep, not only in Test, but regional and local cricket. He was as good a keeper or better than most playing test cricket today ( Jayawardeane notable exception). Look at the number of stumpings he had in those few games. He knew what he was doing.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, Walcott, I suppose.

But, I've lost interest in this team really since the (slim) majority of posters fell for the 4 faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssstttttttttttt bowlers trick, when in reality if the West Indies were to compete against Australia, they really needed a spinner to balance the attack. Do you really think the other ATG batsmen are going to be that deterred by the prospect of facing over after over of right arm over the wicket pace? Sobers is a more than adequate 4th seamer, who now has to shoulder all the burden in the department which was his lesser bowling skill.

Rant over.

watson

Banned
Only reason Walcott stopped keeping was because of a back injury. The purpose of this exercise is to pick the strongest side to take on Aus/S.A. ect, and Walcott gives us that. Top 6 W.I. batsman and very good under rated keeper.
Spoke to three people who saw him keep, not only in Test, but regional and local cricket. He was as good a keeper or better than most playing test cricket today ( Jayawardeane notable exception). Look at the number of stumpings he had in those few games. He knew what he was doing.
I can't imagine that there would be too many stumping opportunities while Sobers is bowling spin as the lone spinner. So that skill doesn't really count.

Plus Walcott averaged only 8-9 runs more than Dujon so I don't think that you're getting bang for your buck with his batting skill either.

Yet Dujon was impecable during the 1980s when keeping to Marshall et al.