• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He was also a very skilled bowler who performed well the world over even in the most benign conditions as evidenced by his perfornances in India in '83 and his famous 14 wicket performance.
But still, speed does kill and until '83/ '84 he was the fastest bowler in the world (until supplented by Marshall) and one of the fastest ever.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He was also a very skilled bowler who performed well the world over even in the most benign conditions as evidenced by his perfornances in India in '83 and his famous 14 wicket performance.
But still, speed does kill and until '83/ '84 he was the fastest bowler in the world (until supplented by Marshall) and one of the fastest ever.
Quite a few of the guys from the 70s are adamant that Holding was the quickest ever.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just out of interest - What percentage of wickets were obtained by spin bowling as opposed to bowling fast?
I don't know that anyone knows that.

But he averaged 30.75 in innings when he opened the bowling, 34.5 when he bowled first change, and 36.5 when he bowled lower down the bowling order. Which suggests he was more effective bowling swing/seam, (though it's possible he changed modes halfway through innings and took more of his wickets with spin having initially started off bowling quick).

watson

Banned
I don't know that anyone knows that.

But he averaged 30.75 in innings when he opened the bowling, 34.5 when he bowled first change, and 36.5 when he bowled lower down the bowling order. Which suggests he was more effective bowling swing/seam, (though it's possible he changed modes halfway through innings and took more of his wickets with spin having initially started off bowling quick).
If that's the case, and Gibbs is left out, then the attack is effectively and 5 man pace attack - which seems a bit excessive to me.

However, I do have a feeling that Sobers took a rare 5fer against England bowling wrist- spin, but I can't recall the actual test.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
However, I do have a feeling that Sobers took a rare 5fer against England bowling wrist- spin, but I can't recall the actual test.
Checking, Sobers took 3 five-fors against England. The first was his first ever five-for bowling brisk fast-medium. The second was this match a few years later where he hit a ton, took a five-for having apparently "adopted" the pace of his best quick Hall. In the second dig he bowled spin, taking three.

The Wisden report doesn't say what he bowled in the third match, but given he opened the bowling in both innings it's safe to say he was being deployed at least primarily as a seamer.

Really it does suggest that Sober's best bowling was his quick bowling, given that I went explicitly looking for a great feat of spin and found only more praise of his seamers.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Checking, Sobers took 3 five-fors against England. The first was his first ever five-for bowling brisk fast-medium. The second was this match a few years later where he hit a ton, took a five-for having apparently "adopted" the pace of his best quick Hall. In the second dig he bowled spin, taking three.

The Wisden report doesn't say what he bowled in the third match, but given he opened the bowling in both innings it's safe to say he was being deployed at least primarily as a seamer.

Really it does suggest that Sober's best bowling was his quick bowling, given that I went explicitly looking for a great feat of spin and found only more praise of his seamers.
Yeah, fare enough.

So, essentially, Sobers will be the 4th or 5th pace bowler.

Last edited: