Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Not sure whom to choose, in modern cricket not sure if it is possible to play four fast bolwers with some flat pitches and over rates to contend with. That being said Garner at times played the role of a spinner keeping it tight with his yorkers and rib ticklers. All of the bowlers contended will with flat wickets and turning tracks especially Marshall, Holding and the aforementioned Garner. The effect of Sobers though is greater felt as a seamer than a spinner, especially as an attacking option, but could have kept it tight as a spinner as well and rip it with his wrist spin option.
    Gibbs is also under rated and a notorious spinner of the ball, if he had the conditions of Laker and some of the other early finger spinners no doubt would have had similar results, but as it is he was just or more succesful as the Indian spinners and to boot the first spinner to 300 test wickets is no mean feat.
    Will think about it a bit more before I vote, Garner's average and s/r vs Gibbs variety. Both were, to boot excellent fielders aswell. Tough decision.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Marshall
    Ambrose
    Holding
    Gibbs
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    If Marshall, Ambrose and Holding with the help of Gibbs cant take 20 wickets then I seriously doubt that Marshall, Ambrose, Holding & Hall / Roberts / Garner / Clarke / Walsh would do it...

08. Marshall
    09. Holding
    10. Ambrose
    11. Gibbs

Nothing like a bit of variety with a full time spinner.

International 12th Man
    Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose, Joel Garner and Michael Holding will be my selections

U19 Debutant
    Marshall
    Holding
    Ambrose
    Garner .. Went with the 4 pace attack as Sobers, Richards can be the spin option..almost went for Ramadhin for Garner as he had this ability to spin both ways (cricinfo says) which would have been an asset

Marshall
    Holding
    Ambrose
    Gibbs

Eds
    Malcolm Marshall
    Curtly Ambrose
    Michael Holding
    Joel Garner

I'd vote this, but I'd only do it on the condition Worrell were opening. That's the difficulty with this format.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

(For the purposes of this post I'm basically going to assume that the pecking order for West Indian quicks is Marshall-Ambrose-Holding-Garner, even though I actually disagree).

The way I look at the fourth quick v Gibbs argument is this: if a batsman, or perhaps more importantly a partnership, had managed to see off Marshall, Ambrose and Holding, who'd be more likely to get the breakthrough? GIbbs or Garner?

Personally I feel that if a batsman really could withstand that first trio, it's likely he's either a superb player or pace bowling or the pitch is offering nothing to the quicks (or quite likely both). In either situation I definitely think having Gibbs, who would challenge different parts of the technique of the batsmen in and get assistance from different tracks, would be the better call. Sometimes the fourth quick is just better than the spinner by enough to make him the more likely of the two in that situation anyway, especially if the first three quicks aren't as good as they are here, but Gibbs was a great spinner so I think he should get the nod really.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 14-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    (For the purposes of this post I'm basically going to assume that the pecking order for West Indian quicks is Marshall-Ambrose-Holding-Garner, even though I actually disagree).

The way I look at the fourth quick v Gibbs argument is this: if a batsman, or perhaps more importantly a partnership, had managed to see off Marshall, Ambrose and Holding, who'd be more likely to get the breakthrough? GIbbs or Garner?

Personally I feel that if a batsman really could withstand that first trio, it's likely he's either a superb player or pace bowling or the pitch is offering nothing to the quicks (or quite likely both). In either situation I definitely think having Gibbs, who would challenge different parts of the technique of the batsmen in and get assistance from different tracks, would be the better call. Sometimes the fourth quick is just better than the spinner by enough to make him the more likely of the two in that situation anyway, especially if the first three quicks aren't as good as they are here, but Gibbs was a great spinner so I think he should get the nod really.

Marshall
    Ambrose
    Holding
    Gibbs
    Good point. I agree. But why not pick the quicks from your own pecking order?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    TBH with Sobers in the team spin's taken care of, IMHO. IVAR could also send down a few if needs be.

Marshall
    Ambrose
    Garner
    Holding
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Good point. I agree. But why not pick the quicks from your own pecking order?
    I just think Walsh was better than Garner, which in the end was irrelevant to my vote because I voted for Gibbs. If I used Walsh in the example, no doubt someone would've quoted it saying I was intellectually dishonest by not using the right bowler etc. It seems Garner is favoured here by those who want four quicks so it was better to use him for the argument.

Marshall
    Garner
    Ambrose
    Holding

Rob, I understand you think Walsh had a more complete career and was hence 'greater' but for the purposes of a Dream XI would you rather have Walsh or Garner against the Mars XI?
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Marshall
    Garner
    Ambrose
    Holding

Rob, I understand you think Walsh had a more complete career and was hence 'greater' but for the purposes of a Dream XI would you rather have Walsh or Garner against the Mars XI?
    I've actually managed to confuse myself; it's Holding I rate Walsh ahead of, not Garner, So I'll change my vote to:

Marshall
    Ambrose
    Garner
    Gibbs

I'll edit my vote out of the other post so it doesn't look contradictory.

Conveniently after I voted for Garner at #2.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information