Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    The point was the discussion, not the result, wasn't it?
    Yeah. I voted for Gibbs too but it's not like there are long-reaching consequences for having a poor side selected here. We voted for what we voted for, and if we want to have an ongoing discussion about why that was a poor choice then that's good for the thread/forum but we shouldn't be having a re-vote just because the group who lost one of the votes is making a lot of noise.
    ~ Cribbage

Regardless, the openers spot is all tied up. At least one more vote so we can move on to the next team.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah. I voted for Gibbs too but it's not like there are long-reaching consequences for having a poor side selected here. We voted for what we voted for, and if we want to have an ongoing discussion about why that was a poor choice then that's good for the thread/forum but we shouldn't be having a re-vote just because the group who lost one of the votes is making a lot of noise.

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

Last edited by watson; 05-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath

With or with out, it's still unquestionably one of the top two teams and neigh invincible.

Still would be nice to have one though.

Garner should only be behind Marshall anyway, definitely ahead of Holding.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Ambrose was definately better and Holding was arguably better, who for a period was the world's best bowler competing with the likes of Hadlee and Lillee not to mention Roberts. Don't think Garner ever was.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm a Michael Holding fan.

My Grandfather took me to the Kennington Oval Test match during the 1976 series to watch Holding and Roberts bowl against Amiss and the rest of the England team. I haven't forgotten the experience. To a small boy looking through his binoculars he was far more scary than Roberts, or his other team mates, Holder and Daniel.
    Last edited by watson; 05-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.

I'm going to let this slide for a bit guys, I have a busy few weeks approaching.

If anyone wants to carry on with this or run it again, be my guest!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    With or with out, it's still unquestionably one of the top two teams and neigh invincible.
    With no front line spinner and a part time keeper that's 2 significant gaps though.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Walcott was not a part time keeper. He made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper whose batting developed enough to allow him to ahed the gloves when he got hurt.
    Dujon came into the team as a batsman who took the gloves to keep his place in the team.

Kindly also be reminded that the West Indies bacame the best team ever by relying on four fast bowlers in ALL conditions, including the sub continent.

Ambrose was definately better and Holding was arguably better, who for a period was the world's best bowler competing with the likes of Hadlee and Lillee not to mention Roberts. Don't think Garner ever was.
    Nah, disagree, people seem to dismiss steadiness and consistency for occasional brilliance. I think Garner was competing in that way. The guy could bowl longer spells and gave no runs away, he's a perfect foil for express bowlers, whilst also taking wickets at an incredibly low average. Most under-rated player on cricketweb.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Walcott was not a part time keeper. He made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper whose batting developed enough to allow him to ahed the gloves when he got hurt.
    Dujon came into the team as a batsman who took the gloves to keep his place in the team.
    Regardless of what you say, he only kept for 15 matches out of a career of 44 Tests, that is part-time.
    As for your Dujon bull****, he played 2 games as a batsman out of a career of 81, hardly comparable.

Kindly also be reminded that the West Indies bacame the best team ever by relying on four fast bowlers in ALL conditions, including the sub continent.
    Playing against lesser sides than all time great sides...

So besides Australia what other teams are on par with a West Indies XI even with the handicap of having four of the greatest bowlers (top 20) who ever played the game and having a wicketkeeper who played Lindwall and Miller better than any else did.

South Africa, England and Pakistan, in that order just a class below the top two teams.

So besides Australia what other teams are on par with a West Indies XI even with the handicap of having four of the greatest bowlers (top 20) who ever played the game and having a wicketkeeper who played Lindwall and Miller better than any else did.

South Africa, England and Pakistan, in that order just a class below the top two teams.
    South Africa are pretty dangerous imo..

Barry Richards
    Graham Smith
    Jaques Kallis
    Graham Pollock
    Dudley Nourse
    Faulkner/Amla
    John Waite
    Mike Procter
    Shaun Pollock
    Hugh Tayfield
    Allan Donald

I did mention that they were next in line. Great team that is going to be.

If we ever get a final vote for the openers.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread Information