Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Gordon Greenidge and Frank Worrell

Even if I did cheat with the Bradman call, Worrell actually did open a fair amount, having batted just about everywhere in the order for at least a few matches, because he batted wherever the Windies needed him to. On the 1957 tour of England, he carried his bat for 191* against an attack of Statham, Trueman, Laker and Bailey at Trent Bridge. (He also opened the bowling in that match). That's before you get to his captaincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Gordon Greenidge and Frank Worrell

Even if I did cheat with the Bradman call, Worrell actually did open a fair amount, having batted just about everywhere in the order for at least a few matches, because he batted wherever the Windies needed him to. On the 1957 tour of England, he carried his bat for 191* against an attack of Statham, Trueman, Laker and Bailey at Trent Bridge. (He also opened the bowling in that match). That's before you get to his captaincy.
    Yep, this for me as well. He bowled a bit of spin too which could help given the attack you guys picked.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Gordon Greenidge and Conrad Hunte
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Greenidge and Worrell
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Not to digress, but Walcott was the one who made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper while Dujon made and initially played in the team as a batsman.
    The irony.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

U19 Debutant
    Gordon Greendige and Dessie Haynes..For the spectators Roy F and GG bat together would have been fun but wanted Haynes as he would bring the calmness to Greenidge aggressive style..Haynes has a piss poor SC record still he pips Roy Fredericks by a whisker..
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 28-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Eds
    Gordon Greenidge & Frank Worrell.

Would be silly not to pick Worrell now we've gone with a seam quartet, IMO.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

actually wanted to stop participating in protest against walcott sneaking in ahead of dujon. but who gives a **** about my opinion anyways....

greenidge and hunte for me

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    actually wanted to stop participating in protest against walcott sneaking in ahead of dujon. but who gives a **** about my opinion anyways....

greenidge and hunte for me
    Agree, my preference is Dujon. Walcott kept in a small percentage of his tests to be classified as a keeper. Being jammed in on the basis of his batting skilz.

U19 12th Man
    Another Duj fan here-- his glorious ton at the WACA in 84/85 in face of some fierce swing bowling from Terry Alderman, was one of my earliest cricketing memories.

GG and Sir Frank for openers.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    GG and Worrell
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Second Spitter View Post
    Another Duj fan here-- his glorious ton at the WACA in 84/85 in face of some fierce swing bowling from Terry Alderman, was one of my earliest cricketing memories.

GG and Sir Frank for openers.
    I couldn't help but notice the Larry Gomes century in that scorecard of yours.

Larry Gomes had two fabulous tours of Australia in the 80s where he outshone most, if not all, of his more illustrious team mates. In 1980/81 he played Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe and Alderman superbly to average 78.61 for the series. This was his best innings as I remember it,

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Adelaide, Jan 30-Feb 3, 1982 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

A very underated batsman indeed. If only he'd been a little more consistent during his career.

Anyway back to the openers..........
    Last edited by watson; 29-11-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Sunil Gavaskar – Len Hutton – Don Bradman – Garry Sobers – Viv Richards – Keith Miller – Imran Khan – Jock Cameron – Richie Benaud – Malcolm Marshall – Bill O’Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the Larry Gomes century in that scorecard of yours.

Larry Gomes had two fabulous tours of Australia in the 80s where he outshone most, if not all, of his more illustrious team mates. In 1980/81 he played Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe and Alderman superbly to average 78.61 for the series. This was his best innings as I remember it,

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Adelaide, Jan 30-Feb 3, 1982 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

A very underated batsman indeed. If only he'd been a little more consistent during his career.

Anyway back to the openers..........
    I suppose you can look at it both ways, but my perception of Gomes has always been that of a fairly average batsman who played some uncharacteristically awesome innings, rather than that of a supremely talented batsman who underachieved.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 29-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I suppose you can look at it both ways, but my perception is Gomes has always been that of a fairly average batsman who played some uncharacteristically awesome innings, rather than that of a supremely talented batsman who underachieved.
    I think that you're probably right, although averaging 70 runs over 8 Tests in Australia, and 'Wisden Cricketer of the Year' in 1985 implies that he is somewhat better than a 'fairly average batsman.'

The broadest bat in Australia | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
    Wisden - Larry Gomes

I don't think that the selectors helped him much as they appeared to dislike his conservative and un-West Indian style batting. Therefore, he was sometimes dropped sooner than he should have been;

Nor has Gomes been bothered by the fact that he does not fit the popular image of West Indian batsmanship, founded on the dashing strokeplay and power of the likes of George Headley, the three Ws, Kanhai, Sobers and the modern greats, with whom he has played so frequently, Richards, Greenidge and Lloyd. Gomes is a West Indian rarity, a batsman who almost never hooks and one who had never hit a 6 in the 60 Test innings he had played by the end of the summer of 1984. Perhaps it is his unobtrusive method which has caused him to be underestimated. Throughout his career, selectors of one kind or another have treated him erratically.
    Anyway, back to the openers.........
    Last edited by watson; 29-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Interesting character Gomes, much like Chanders (although rather more orthodox) at a time the West Indies didn't need one as badly as they need the real one now, but because everyone wanted to watch Greenidge, Fredericks, Richards and Lloyd he wasn't very popular. They'd be delighted to have his like today

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information