• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gordon Greenidge and Frank Worrell

Even if I did cheat with the Bradman call, Worrell actually did open a fair amount, having batted just about everywhere in the order for at least a few matches, because he batted wherever the Windies needed him to. On the 1957 tour of England, he carried his bat for 191* against an attack of Statham, Trueman, Laker and Bailey at Trent Bridge. (He also opened the bowling in that match). That's before you get to his captaincy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gordon Greenidge and Frank Worrell

Even if I did cheat with the Bradman call, Worrell actually did open a fair amount, having batted just about everywhere in the order for at least a few matches, because he batted wherever the Windies needed him to. On the 1957 tour of England, he carried his bat for 191* against an attack of Statham, Trueman, Laker and Bailey at Trent Bridge. (He also opened the bowling in that match). That's before you get to his captaincy.
Yep, this for me as well. He bowled a bit of spin too which could help given the attack you guys picked.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not to digress, but Walcott was the one who made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper while Dujon made and initially played in the team as a batsman.
The irony.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Gordon Greendige and Dessie Haynes..For the spectators Roy F and GG bat together would have been fun but wanted Haynes as he would bring the calmness to Greenidge aggressive style..Haynes has a piss poor SC record still he pips Roy Fredericks by a whisker..

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Gordon Greenidge & Frank Worrell.

Would be silly not to pick Worrell now we've gone with a seam quartet, IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
actually wanted to stop participating in protest against walcott sneaking in ahead of dujon. but who gives a **** about my opinion anyways....

greenidge and hunte for me

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
actually wanted to stop participating in protest against walcott sneaking in ahead of dujon. but who gives a **** about my opinion anyways....

greenidge and hunte for me
Agree, my preference is Dujon. Walcott kept in a small percentage of his tests to be classified as a keeper. Being jammed in on the basis of his batting skilz.

watson

Banned
Another Duj fan here-- his glorious ton at the WACA in 84/85 in face of some fierce swing bowling from Terry Alderman, was one of my earliest cricketing memories.

GG and Sir Frank for openers.
I couldn't help but notice the Larry Gomes century in that scorecard of yours.

Larry Gomes had two fabulous tours of Australia in the 80s where he outshone most, if not all, of his more illustrious team mates. In 1980/81 he played Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe and Alderman superbly to average 78.61 for the series. This was his best innings as I remember it,

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Adelaide, Jan 30-Feb 3, 1982 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

A very underated batsman indeed. If only he'd been a little more consistent during his career.

Anyway back to the openers..........

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I couldn't help but notice the Larry Gomes century in that scorecard of yours.

Larry Gomes had two fabulous tours of Australia in the 80s where he outshone most, if not all, of his more illustrious team mates. In 1980/81 he played Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe and Alderman superbly to average 78.61 for the series. This was his best innings as I remember it,

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Adelaide, Jan 30-Feb 3, 1982 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

A very underated batsman indeed. If only he'd been a little more consistent during his career.

Anyway back to the openers..........
I suppose you can look at it both ways, but my perception of Gomes has always been that of a fairly average batsman who played some uncharacteristically awesome innings, rather than that of a supremely talented batsman who underachieved.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I suppose you can look at it both ways, but my perception is Gomes has always been that of a fairly average batsman who played some uncharacteristically awesome innings, rather than that of a supremely talented batsman who underachieved.
I think that you're probably right, although averaging 70 runs over 8 Tests in Australia, and 'Wisden Cricketer of the Year' in 1985 implies that he is somewhat better than a 'fairly average batsman.'

The broadest bat in Australia | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
Wisden - Larry Gomes

I don't think that the selectors helped him much as they appeared to dislike his conservative and un-West Indian style batting. Therefore, he was sometimes dropped sooner than he should have been;

Nor has Gomes been bothered by the fact that he does not fit the popular image of West Indian batsmanship, founded on the dashing strokeplay and power of the likes of George Headley, the three Ws, Kanhai, Sobers and the modern greats, with whom he has played so frequently, Richards, Greenidge and Lloyd. Gomes is a West Indian rarity, a batsman who almost never hooks and one who had never hit a 6 in the 60 Test innings he had played by the end of the summer of 1984. Perhaps it is his unobtrusive method which has caused him to be underestimated. Throughout his career, selectors of one kind or another have treated him erratically.
Anyway, back to the openers.........

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting character Gomes, much like Chanders (although rather more orthodox) at a time the West Indies didn't need one as badly as they need the real one now, but because everyone wanted to watch Greenidge, Fredericks, Richards and Lloyd he wasn't very popular. They'd be delighted to have his like today

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte

Worrell was an excellent batsman and the hardest exclusion, but he didn't open quite enough.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting character Gomes, much like Chanders (although rather more orthodox) at a time the West Indies didn't need one as badly as they need the real one now, but because everyone wanted to watch Greenidge, Fredericks, Richards and Lloyd he wasn't very popular. They'd be delighted to have his like today
Gomes- Orthodox?

Greenidge-Haynes, partnership that worked. Dujon wuz robbed.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Walcott was the wicket keeper for his first 15 tests and only stopped when he got injured. He kept wicket for Barbados to get into the West Indies team and kept his place despite poor batting performances early in career because of his performances with the gloves.
He was a wicket keeper.
It was just my opnion, which I believe I am still entitled to. If everyone wants to vote Worrell, feel free, but I prefer a specislist # 1 opener.