Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Dujon. Can't really pick Walcott if he spent most of his career as a batsman.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Only reason Walcott stopped keeping was because of a back injury. The purpose of this exercise is to pick the strongest side to take on Aus/S.A. ect, and Walcott gives us that. Top 6 W.I. batsman and very good under rated keeper.
    Spoke to three people who saw him keep, not only in Test, but regional and local cricket. He was as good a keeper or better than most playing test cricket today ( Jayawardeane notable exception). Look at the number of stumpings he had in those few games. He knew what he was doing.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Yeah, Walcott, I suppose.

But, I've lost interest in this team really since the (slim) majority of posters fell for the 4 faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssstttttttttttt bowlers trick, when in reality if the West Indies were to compete against Australia, they really needed a spinner to balance the attack. Do you really think the other ATG batsmen are going to be that deterred by the prospect of facing over after over of right arm over the wicket pace? Sobers is a more than adequate 4th seamer, who now has to shoulder all the burden in the department which was his lesser bowling skill.

Rant over.

Agree with u as well. spin at ome end, rotate pace from other.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Only reason Walcott stopped keeping was because of a back injury. The purpose of this exercise is to pick the strongest side to take on Aus/S.A. ect, and Walcott gives us that. Top 6 W.I. batsman and very good under rated keeper.
    Spoke to three people who saw him keep, not only in Test, but regional and local cricket. He was as good a keeper or better than most playing test cricket today ( Jayawardeane notable exception). Look at the number of stumpings he had in those few games. He knew what he was doing.
    I can't imagine that there would be too many stumping opportunities while Sobers is bowling spin as the lone spinner. So that skill doesn't really count.

Plus Walcott averaged only 8-9 runs more than Dujon so I don't think that you're getting bang for your buck with his batting skill either.

Yet Dujon was impecable during the 1980s when keeping to Marshall et al.

Lets be real here; if a Test team really had the talents of Walcott and Dujon available to them and no place for Walcott as a batsman, there's no way in the world they'd pick Dujon. No way in hell. They'd do all they could to develop Walcott's (apparently already quite good) wicket keeping and try to manage his workload so his back didn't get too bad.

I mean, de Villiers keeps for South Africa just so Rudolph and Duminy can play. That's not even for de Villiers's own selection in the team, and Rudolph and Duminy and certainly not Clyde Walcott class with the bat. You can romanticise Dujon's wicket keeping skill all you like but in the real world he wouldn't have a hope in hell of being selected.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

AWTA

And wicket keeping didn't hamper Walcott's batting, he was still developing his talents and his average in England was just about the same with or with out gloves and I belive that if he had gone to India with the gloves he still would have plundered that attack. His greatest innings was in England while he was wicketkeeping 168 to win the series.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Lets be real here; if a Test team really had the talents of Walcott and Dujon available to them and no place for Walcott as a batsman, there's no way in the world they'd pick Dujon. No way in hell. They'd do all they could to develop Walcott's (apparently already quite good) wicket keeping and try to manage his workload so his back didn't get too bad.

I mean, de Villiers keeps for South Africa just so Rudolph and Duminy can play. That's not even for de Villiers's own selection in the team, and Rudolph and Duminy and certainly not Clyde Walcott class with the bat. You can romanticise Dujon's wicket keeping skill all you like but in the real world he wouldn't have a hope in hell of being selected.
    The only reason that Walcott's batting flourished was that he gave up keeping. If Adam Gilchrist couldn't maintain an average over 50 then I don't see why Walcott would have been any different.

Put simply, it is not possible to keep full time and finish your career with a batting average of 56.68. In all probability Walcott would have finished up where he began - in the 40s.

Ergo, you may as well go for the expert keeper who already knows what to expect when Malcolm Marshall begins his run up.

You ignored my post, no one is saying ut would be 56, just wouldn't be 40 either.

Mahjong Champion!
    In selecting an ATG WI side there will be some unlucky ommissions. Kanhai,Kallicharan,Solomon,Hunte,Hall(Arguably the second fstest of all time) and these are but a few off the top of my head
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Dujon

Jeff Dujon

When slecting their W.I. All Time XI Tony Cozier, Faz Mohammad and Reds Pierra all name Walcott.as their wicketkeeper, but what do they know. West Indies cricket existed before the 70's . Infact if we are looking for the keeper who handled our quartet the best it would be Deryck Murray.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Reds Pierra .
    Coolest name.

Walcott Dujon was a fine, fine player but it seems unthinkable that Walcott wouldn't haven't been a strong player in the brilliant 80s team. With the WI bowling attack named keeping wouldn't be that difficult a task.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information