• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The India and Pakistan combined ATG Thread : Open Voting

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kumble can hold an end for the fast bowlers and once the wicket starts suiting him he is capable of destroying you in a session.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Anil Kumble , the man has done it all over the world and in the post-2000 batting days was very good as well..my choice neversaydie Jumbo..

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I am AMAZED that not many people picked VVS Laxman in the middle order.

Reckon he's massively underrated - I don't think I have ever seen a better subcontnental batsman when the chips were down.
Strong record in both Australia and Southe Africa - the two best teams of his generation.
All four of India's test wins this decade in Aus and RSA featured major VVS contributions.

Miandad by contrast is a bit overrated - never did that well against the West Indies the best team of his generation and he only did well against Oz in Pakistan.

Slifer

International Captain
Bro Javed is not overrated, If ne thing the guy doesnt really get his due. Failing against the WI of the 80s is nothing to be ashamed that was arguably the greatest bowling attack of all time (better than both Australia and RSA of VVS' time)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Bro Javed is not overrated, If ne thing the guy doesnt really get his due. Failing against the WI of the 80s is nothing to be ashamed that was arguably the greatest bowling attack of all time (better than both Australia and RSA of VVS' time)
Great players are "great" for a reason - they stand up when the going gets tough ie the bowling is top notch, the conditions are difficulty or both.

Saying that the Windies were an awesome bowling makes his failure (a sub 30 average) all the more galling - especially considering he is rated so highly.
Hre also failed against Australia down under - getting runs in Oz imo is a litmus test for an subcontinent batsman worth his salt.

Slifer

International Captain
I hope u r not asserting that somehow VVS is a great and Javed isnt. In ne event most pundits probably consider Javed to be a top 20 batsman, somewhat outside the very top ten. Among SC batsmen he's probably only behind Sachin, Gavaskar, (and maybe Dravid and Sanga) but thats it.

Javed's failure vs the WI is certainly a serious drawback in his CV but it doesnt stop him from being great. he made runs vs other great bowlers from his generation (ex hadlee et al).

watson

Banned
The 1987/88 Tour of the West Indies by Pakistan was a great series played by two great teams. Final score 1-1.

Javed Miandad scored 2 centuries and averaged 56.40 for the series. This tilts things in Javed's favour for mine.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
The 1987/88 Tour of the West Indies by Pakistan was a great series played by two great teams. Finally score 1-1.

Javed Miandad scored 2 centuries and averaged 56.40 for the series. This tilts things in Javed's favour for mine.
Had come in to post this.

The 87-88 series against WI in WI was one of the best that Javed played.

Miandad was also a better player of spin bowling and more consistent.

Miandad was also pretty decent when the chips were down and was very good at batting with the tail.

I am guessing Salamuddin never saw Miandad bat.

Slifer

International Captain
Im guessing he didnt. He needs to have a look at Javeds masterclass 270 odd vs sir Richard on a typical NZ green top.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumble.

Also wtf at Javed being over-rated....compare his stats to his contemporaries and he comes out very favourably.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am AMAZED that not many people picked VVS Laxman in the middle order.

Reckon he's massively underrated - I don't think I have ever seen a better subcontnental batsman when the chips were down.
Strong record in both Australia and Southe Africa - the two best teams of his generation.
All four of India's test wins this decade in Aus and RSA featured major VVS contributions.

Miandad by contrast is a bit overrated - never did that well against the West Indies the best team of his generation and he only did well against Oz in Pakistan.
what?

he owned windies during the memorable 88 tour.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Miandad never went below average of 50; enough said

His place is locked; there could be argument between Laxman and Inzi

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
While I agree that Javed is a top 20 batsman and an ATG, in '88 Holding and Garner were long gone and Marshall was by then well below his fastest, though still the best (imho). Ambrose was still emerging and Walsh was yet to hit his stride.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Choose THREE from the following, or add your own.

Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Zaheer Khan
Javagal Srinath
Shoaib Akhtar
Sarfaraz Nawaz
Fazal Mahmood
Umar Gul
Mohammed Asif
Irfan Pathan