Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Impressions

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    I have a feeling that Pujara is going to be a run-machine who will break all records and end up with a test average in the 60's. Just a gut feeling based on his temperament and appetite for runs. I think he is going to punish a lot of average attacks with double hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Say whaaa? Ricky Ponting Last Innings - Australia vs South Africa 3rd Test Day 4 Full Highlights - YouTube

That did not move much off the straight at all. Defs bounced as you say, as you would expect at the bounciest ground in the world.

The the one that got Clarke spun so much because it landed in a giant foot hole.
    Well, it didn't rag square, but it turned a far bit anyway for a fingerspinner in Perth on day two and all.

Decent nut anyway, IMHO.

Not saying he's Bishen Bedi, but definite improvement on the previous incumbent. Low bar as that is.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, it didn't rag square, but it turned a far bit anyway for a fingerspinner in Perth on day two and all.

Decent nut anyway, IMHO.

Not saying he's Bishen Bedi, but definite improvement on the previous incumbent. Low bar as that is.
    It was day 4 itbt.

Yeah anyone who can actually land the ball on the pitch is better.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    I have a feeling that Pujara is going to be a run-machine who will break all records and end up with a test average in the 60's. Just a gut feeling based on his temperament and appetite for runs. I think he is going to punish a lot of average attacks with double hundreds.
    So pretty much the second best batsman of all-time?

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I'd love to see someone averaging somewhere between 70-100 after their first 10 tests.

There is no real reason why we shouldn't ever see another Don, is there?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Didn't Jeets get him out.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'd love to see someone averaging somewhere between 70-100 after their first 10 tests.

There is no real reason why we shouldn't ever see another Don, is there?
    no but you'd get good odds. might need to outlive burgey for that one too
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Joe Root - Looks a player, has the head for it and you can see why they have basically fast tracked him into the squad/side. Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.
    Nah I'd be absolutely fine with that as long as it was a permanent thing. I just didn't want Compton going back down to the middle order for one game because someone was injured/paternal and then having to go back up to open again the next game because Root wasn't playing.

If the England selectors believe both Root and Compton are in their best eleven for all conditions then I do actually think Root opening makes much more sense and I'd make the change ASAP. I just don't want to see Compton going up and down the order like a yoyo depending on who else is playing; it'd confuse the **** out of him if it wasn't a medium-term plan.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    with compton and root coming in and possibly becoming permanent fixtures, england would probably have the most boring batsmen to watch amongst the major test nations. kp and prior save the day though.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Joe Root - Looks a player, has the head for it and you can see why they have basically fast tracked him into the squad/side. Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.
    Why isn't Bairstow getting a longer run though? They guy showed he had the grit and temperament to fight it out against South Africa..

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Why isn't Bairstow getting a longer run though? They guy showed he had the grit and temperament to fight it out against South Africa..
    Can't play spin that well. Will probably be in at some stage next year as it is unlikely that the current top 6 will stay the same all year.

State Captain
    would be nice if pews and xhuaib evaluated every single new player on this thread those two guys only guys i'd call talent scouts on this forum. rest are mostly hit and miss from what i've seen
    Member of the bring back Bruce Campbell Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    would be nice if pews and xhuaib evaluated every single new player on this thread those two guys only guys i'd call talent scouts on this forum. rest are mostly hit and miss from what i've seen
    I don't really consider myself a great long-term judge of ability tbh, particularly on limited evidence. I back myself to evaluate how good someone is now and perhaps what their ceiling is in some cases but a lot of players don't get anywhere near their ceilings. Xuhaib has a better strike rate with that sort of stuff I'd reckon. I will go through and try later anyway if you like though; will be an amusing thing to dig up in 5 years and laugh at anyway.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    Indeed everyone else should be banned from this thread - except to read what they have written.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information