• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Joe Root - Looks a player, has the head for it and you can see why they have basically fast tracked him into the squad/side. Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.
Why isn't Bairstow getting a longer run though? They guy showed he had the grit and temperament to fight it out against South Africa..

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why isn't Bairstow getting a longer run though? They guy showed he had the grit and temperament to fight it out against South Africa..
Can't play spin that well. Will probably be in at some stage next year as it is unlikely that the current top 6 will stay the same all year.

DingDong

State Captain
would be nice if pews and xhuaib evaluated every single new player on this thread those two guys only guys i'd call talent scouts on this forum. rest are mostly hit and miss from what i've seen

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
would be nice if pews and xhuaib evaluated every single new player on this thread those two guys only guys i'd call talent scouts on this forum. rest are mostly hit and miss from what i've seen
I don't really consider myself a great long-term judge of ability tbh, particularly on limited evidence. I back myself to evaluate how good someone is now and perhaps what their ceiling is in some cases but a lot of players don't get anywhere near their ceilings. Xuhaib has a better strike rate with that sort of stuff I'd reckon. I will go through and try later anyway if you like though; will be an amusing thing to dig up in 5 years and laugh at anyway. :p

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed everyone else should be banned from this thread - except to read what they have written.

benchmark00

I don't really consider myself a great long-term judge of ability tbh, particularly on limited evidence. I back myself to evaluate how good someone is now and perhaps what their ceiling is in some cases but a lot of players don't get anywhere near their ceilings. Xuhaib has a better strike rate with that sort of stuff I'd reckon. I will go through and try later anyway if you like though; will be an amusing thing to dig up in 5 years and laugh at anyway. :p
There's a reason why you consider DingDong a troll.

flibbertyjibber

Henriques - Better than expected, would be interesting to see him on a pitch that suits his bowling a bit more.

Abbott - Very impressive but beat up a very wounded opponent. Looks a better long term bet than Kleinveldt

Daemon

Not unlike a (slightly) sharper version of his brother Praveen, IMHO. Has the kind of action that looks like it'll always bring it back into the right hander, but, as the Warner dismissal showed, moves it both ways.
Can move it both ways, but afaik he doesn't bowl an outswinger, so he loses out to Praveen on that one. He gets it to move into the batsmen more than Praveen though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does he have a leg cutter?
Yep. He bowls big inswingers, and leg cutters. The classic combination, and a real treat to watch with the new ball. I'm not completely sold on whether he'll really 'make it' as a Test bowler by any stretch but I like watching him bowl anyway. India have something work with at the very least with a new ball combination of Yadav/Bhuvi, even if the fact that India's development of fast bowlers is terrible will likely banish both to The Wheel.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
India is really one of the places he'd struggle the most as a test bowler, so his performance today/yesterday was pretty encouraging. I'm also not convinced whether he'll be a good test bowler for a long time, as I'm not really sure he has enough weapons when the ball gets old, but he'll be a pretty handy new ball bowler when India visit England in 2014, and could form a decent pace trio with Yadav and someone else. He'll be a pretty good ODI bowler IMO, particularly with two new balls now in use, and I think he'll go really well in the Champions Trophy.

Daemon

I'm not sure whether he can get the ball to reverse, but it is likely. Most successful medium pace bowlers in the the Ranji are capable of reverse swing with the SG ball. It's how they pick up wickets at such low averages.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not sure whether he can get the ball to reverse, but it is likely. Most successful medium pace bowlers in the the Ranji are capable of reverse swing with the SG ball. It's how they pick up wickets at such low averages.
He only averages mid 20s in the Ranji Trophy I believe an he'd be quite capable of doing that without reversing it given how well he bowls with the new rock IMO. The fact that it's a common skill in India and he seems like quite a skilled bowler does make it pretty likely he can do it to some extent but I don't think the fact that he's been successful really point to it as such; he could be successful domestically without it.

Daemon

He only averages mid 20s in the Ranji Trophy I believe an he'd be quite capable of doing that without reversing it given how well he bowls with the new rock IMO. The fact that it's a common skill in India and he seems like quite a skilled bowler does make it pretty likely he can do it to some extent but I don't think the fact that he's been successful really point to it as such; he could be successful domestically without it.
Oh I wasn't referring specifically to him when I said 'most successful seamers' and 'how they pick up wickets'. I meant those who are quite obviously mediocre non Test standard bowlers but yet collect heaps of wickets season after season. I just included that bit to point out like what you said, it's a common skill to have as a pace bowler in India.