• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May as well put this here:

Although strictly speaking not the first time I've seen him, it is the first time since his comeback so to speak:

Robin Peterson - Very ordinary, will get flogged around if he makes it past the NZ series.

uvelocity

International Coach
benchmark00: often amusing, lives in denial regarding tasting defeat which happens even more often

sonnench

U19 12th Man
May as well put this here:

Although strictly speaking not the first time I've seen him, it is the first time since his comeback so to speak:

Robin Peterson - Very ordinary, will get flogged around if he makes it past the NZ series.
Doesn't say too much about your batsmen then does it.

cnerd123

likes this
Robbie P to me seems like a decent spinner. Didnt show a whole lot of control and got hit a bit, but that was probably because he was in attack mode and so was flighting the ball more than he normally would. Would like to see him in containing mode before judging if he's a good bowler for RSA's needs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't mind Robbie P. He is good in the field and a very handy number 8. He's a reasonable bowler when SA have their best 3 all on the park at the same time, but nothing special.

Dean Elgar Has some improvement in him. :)

benchmark00

Economy rates of 5.38 and 6.35 actually flattered Peterson, and even if magically he does consistently take wickets, Smith won't want to bowl him because he'll consistently risk giving the ascendency back to the opposition. He doesn't seem to put enough revs on the ball to be able to get drift or prodigious spin. Happy to be proven wrong, but SA should still be looking for alternatives imo.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair the balls he got Ponting and Clarke with both turned appreciably and the one the former got bounced a fair bit too.

Uses his flight pretty well too, certainly not afraid to keep tossing 'em up.

Definitely seems to lack the nous to think on his feet tho, which is pretty staggering for a guy who's played as much limited overs stuff as him. When Hastings, Starc and Lyon went into mow mode he did a very passable impression of a rabbit in the headlights and couldn't change up or down.

Wasn't smart captaincy from Smith to keep him on for as long as he did, even if the runs were irrelevant to anything except Starc's & Lyon's averages.

benchmark00

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Suppose now Murali and Warne are gone, anything which goes of the straight has turned appreciably - whoever the spinner.

Dissector

International Debutant
I have a feeling that Pujara is going to be a run-machine who will break all records and end up with a test average in the 60's. Just a gut feeling based on his temperament and appetite for runs. I think he is going to punish a lot of average attacks with double hundreds.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Say whaaa? Ricky Ponting Last Innings - Australia vs South Africa 3rd Test Day 4 Full Highlights - YouTube

That did not move much off the straight at all. Defs bounced as you say, as you would expect at the bounciest ground in the world.

The the one that got Clarke spun so much because it landed in a giant foot hole.
Well, it didn't rag square, but it turned a far bit anyway for a fingerspinner in Perth on day two and all.

Decent nut anyway, IMHO.

Not saying he's Bishen Bedi, but definite improvement on the previous incumbent. Low bar as that is.

benchmark00

Well, it didn't rag square, but it turned a far bit anyway for a fingerspinner in Perth on day two and all.

Decent nut anyway, IMHO.

Not saying he's Bishen Bedi, but definite improvement on the previous incumbent. Low bar as that is.
It was day 4 itbt.

Yeah anyone who can actually land the ball on the pitch is better.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I have a feeling that Pujara is going to be a run-machine who will break all records and end up with a test average in the 60's. Just a gut feeling based on his temperament and appetite for runs. I think he is going to punish a lot of average attacks with double hundreds.
So pretty much the second best batsman of all-time?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd love to see someone averaging somewhere between 70-100 after their first 10 tests.

There is no real reason why we shouldn't ever see another Don, is there?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Jeets get him out.

uvelocity

International Coach
I'd love to see someone averaging somewhere between 70-100 after their first 10 tests.

There is no real reason why we shouldn't ever see another Don, is there?
no but you'd get good odds. might need to outlive burgey for that one too

flibbertyjibber

Joe Root - Looks a player, has the head for it and you can see why they have basically fast tracked him into the squad/side. Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Might be an option to open with him in New Zealand and move Compton into the middle order much to Pews disgust.
Nah I'd be absolutely fine with that as long as it was a permanent thing. I just didn't want Compton going back down to the middle order for one game because someone was injured/paternal and then having to go back up to open again the next game because Root wasn't playing.

If the England selectors believe both Root and Compton are in their best eleven for all conditions then I do actually think Root opening makes much more sense and I'd make the change ASAP. I just don't want to see Compton going up and down the order like a yoyo depending on who else is playing; it'd confuse the **** out of him if it wasn't a medium-term plan.

Daemon

with compton and root coming in and possibly becoming permanent fixtures, england would probably have the most boring batsmen to watch amongst the major test nations. kp and prior save the day though.